Questions for the Newly Diagnosed to Ask

Is anyone aware of an on-line list of questions to ask the rheumotologist when first diagnosed? General questions about PsA, questions about the medications, etc.? I've tried internet searches and can find lists of questions for psoriasis, and a million other things, but not a good list for PsA (other than the obvious - "what is PsA", "what are the symptoms", "what are the risk factors" and "what are the treatments"). I see my rheumotologist at the end of the month and it would be helpful to have a list in case there's something I don't know to ask because I don't know enough about PsA yet. Thanks!

Hi CJCB, I think you can probably use the lists of questions for psoriasis and customize them for PsA. The trouble with PsA is that it affects everyone differently. Some of us have the skin issues, some not, some of us are fully functional, some wheelchair bound. There are times when it seems that none of the drug therapies work, others when it seems like a complete remission of symptoms. Because of the variables, PsA can be particularly frustrating. It might help to keep a list of all the questions you might think of before you see your doc. If you keep a log of your symptoms (which joints hurt, when, for how long), it will help both you and your doc. It also helps show if your meds are helping and is a way to chart your progress over time. Keep track of your functionality - what can or can’t you do? Some losses in functionality can be addressed with physical therapy. Lastly, ask your doctor if s/he or the nursing staff are available to answer questions as you think of them. My rheumy is “new school” and is totally comfortable w/me e-mailing him whenever I have a question. My GP of 38 years (started seeing him when I was only 8!), on the other hand, is old school and will actually return my phone calls so I can speak to him directly. I wish you luck and many pain-free days in navigating this challenging condition!

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback!

Andrea said:

Hi CJCB, I think you can probably use the lists of questions for psoriasis and customize them for PsA. The trouble with PsA is that it affects everyone differently. Some of us have the skin issues, some not, some of us are fully functional, some wheelchair bound. There are times when it seems that none of the drug therapies work, others when it seems like a complete remission of symptoms. Because of the variables, PsA can be particularly frustrating. It might help to keep a list of all the questions you might think of before you see your doc. If you keep a log of your symptoms (which joints hurt, when, for how long), it will help both you and your doc. It also helps show if your meds are helping and is a way to chart your progress over time. Keep track of your functionality - what can or can't you do? Some losses in functionality can be addressed with physical therapy. Lastly, ask your doctor if s/he or the nursing staff are available to answer questions as you think of them. My rheumy is "new school" and is totally comfortable w/me e-mailing him whenever I have a question. My GP of 38 years (started seeing him when I was only 8!), on the other hand, is old school and will actually return my phone calls so I can speak to him directly. I wish you luck and many pain-free days in navigating this challenging condition!