Some intial questions for a newb

Well, it's been a long time ignoring it. I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist again a couple months from now, but was advised a good dermatologist is just as capable with PsA and I have an appointment with early next week. It was too late to get papers to me so I was simply asked to write down a brief history, complaints, etc to bring with me.

Since I just tried doing that, although somewhat guessing on frequency, I thought I would also post it here and ask if much, or any, seems to fit the experiences of others as things progressed. Also, no clue if this is even what the Dr. office meant when they asked for some additional info I should bring. I think I have also removed all personally identifying info.

I would appreciate any input in any way though. Here's what I have for the Dr, and I would guess is brief, lol:

Short History

Psoriasis first developed late 1985 (age 18), first diagnosed by Navy dermatologist by the following year. The skin condition peaked within a couple years, remained constant, and by around 2001 simply started to fade other than during flare-ups. More topical than I can’t count were tried, but since it seemed to fade I’ve used only Dovenex when it does show up.

Joint pains first noticed around 1993. Navy physical in 1997 noted “May have psoriatic arthritis”, but I never pursued any diagnosis.

Around 2003 after years of growing joint pain, and sudden shoulder pain, I was tested for RA factor (negative) and referred to a rheumatologist. At the time my shoulders were the largest complaint, and turned out to be impinged cuffs, so nothing else addressed and I again didn’t pursue it.

Current or recent

On a near continual basis something always hurts, although at only an irritating but tolerable level. Usually one or two joints and it moves around, probably about every 3-6 days. Might be right knee and left ankle, then the right elbow and left wrist. I can’t keep track of it.

Five to six nights, on about an every other month basis, hip and lower back pain while in bed. Almost always the left hip. Rolling over and sitting up becomes difficult, so I have to sort of roll myself out of bed.

Morning stiffness on the majority of days. Could be other areas in addition, but almost always lower back even if not otherwise bothering me as above. Bending over can be difficult, but loosens up after just an hour or so of moving around.

For 2-4 evenings, about monthly, neck stiffness and pain. Pain is directly in the back of the neck and radiates to my left shoulder, usually after sitting and watching TV or reading. This is always gone by morning other than maybe a tiny bit of lingering neck stiffness.

About 2-3 times a year I get what I’d call a flare-up. Increased random joint pain in general, but a lot of pain in most fingers and sometimes toes. Pain is primarily in the joint closest to the tip, but often feels to extend from the tip to beyond that joint and sometimes the entire hand. Left side is always worse than the right, hands always worse than feet, and left index finger almost always worse than anything.

Possibly Contributing

I have also been diagnosed with multiple foot conditions which could possibly be contributing to much of the foot, leg, or back pain, so just in case this is currently managed by Dr. xxxxx, xxxx Foot and Ankle. Pes Cavus, metatarsalgia, and IPK under 4th metatarsal on both feet.

Goals

My primary goal, IF it turns out to be psoriatic arthritis, is to slow or halt the progression. This comes ahead of any current pain relief which is a distant second in the long run. Controlling the skin condition will be a nice advantage as well, but since it has remained mostly under control for a few years now it is also secondary unless it flares up badly again.

Very clear. I might add what your limitations are when you are having a flare in your joints, such as: unable to balance well for showering, difficulty typing, tying shoes, holding a full glass, etc… Also list anything that makes your pain better. You could include meds, movement, changing positions, splinting, etc…

Welcome to our page, and I wish you luck tomorrow. Derms are usually pretty good at diagnosing and beginning treatment right away. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks GrumpyCat!!! I'll try to add what I can think of on those issues. LOL, only one at the top of the list my wife added when I read it to her was cutting open a ziplock with a knife when I couldn't open it to get to the cheese :)

Length of morning stiffness is also monitored

No problem! I had to laugh about the ziplock bag; I’ve been there myself.

Scooter said:

Thanks GrumpyCat!!! I’ll try to add what I can think of on those issues. LOL, only one at the top of the list my wife added when I read it to her was cutting open a ziplock with a knife when I couldn’t open it to get to the cheese :slight_smile:

Those ziplocks often stump me too … what’s with that?

I blame the ziplock conundrum on poor coordination and fat fingers.

Hi Scooter! Wow, you've had a lot of years with the disease(s). You're about 14 years younger than me, but we share a lot of the disease progression, first the psoriasis at a young age (mine started when I was 22) tons of topicals, except mine never went away. Then PsA diagnosis about 6 yeasr

Oh, yes, I suppose I should get fatigue listed then. I didn't think of that because with my foot issues combined with this I avoid most activity, so in my head chocked that up to lack of exercise and being so sedentary.

Thanks again to all for the input. I'll work on some of that before the appt, but at least this isn't a one shot deal and more like a new journey so I'll likely have a lot of opportunity to discuss it with the Dr. and clarify as I go as well :)

Ahem....Idk what I did other than maybe bump a saving button and Ooops the rest of the message vanished in a poof.

Anyway, to make a looonngg story short, my dermy put me on Enbrel starting July 3 this summer and my psoriasis is greatly improved as well as my PsA symptoms. I've been telling ppl I feel 1,000 times better! No SEs and so far no illness, even tho I have been exposed to mono (granddaughter I'm with often) and colds and bronchitis (other grandkids). Take your symptoms list to your dermy--because you have psoriasis too,she can prescribe a 3 month starter double dose of a biologic. Hope everything works out for you! Good luck!

Grandma J said:

Hi Scooter! Wow, you've had a lot of years with the disease(s). You're about 14 years younger than me, but we share a lot of the disease progression, first the psoriasis at a young age (mine started when I was 22) tons of topicals, except mine never went away. Then PsA diagnosis about 6 yeasr

Grandma J - I just had the same experience. So to be brief, follow your instinct - it’s good!

"Like" :-)

Jen said:

Grandma J - I just had the same experience. So to be brief, follow your instinct - it's good!

I love your first sentence- being someone who can wait three years to see if a problem will go away, I get it!

You're in great shape with your history. Way more information than most people take with them. Do you know if you have any family history of autoimmune disease? That can be important. Also, make sure you have the list of meds you take, meds you can't take, list of any prior surgeries & hospitalizations.

Good luck. I hope you win the rheumy/dermy lottery and get a good one on the first try.

I love that you stated your goal. And in my book that goal is THE one to have. As far as I’m concerned, the biggest problem with PsA is progression and damage, and stopping that has to trump short-term pain reduction.

Thanks all for the help! Having everything together I think made things go much more smooth. It's now also official instead of years of guessing but avoiding and will be starting on Humira once all the paperwork is complete.

Still a little nervous about possible side effects but improvement would now be an awesome thing :)

Great news, Scooter! I’m guessing your doc really appreciated the written history. Nobody wants the PsA t-shirt, but having it means that you can now get on with treatment. It sounds to me as if you have a very decisive dermatologist who believes in aggressive treatment, which is a big bonus.

I wouldn’t be worrying too much about side-effects if I were you. The biologics are drugs that target specific proteins very precisely. Yes, the warnings are enough to scare you silly, but remember that legistation makes Pharma disclose every side effect every experienced or suspected. In fact, the most likely side effect that you will have is a site reaction, which is like a big bug bite where you inject yourself. Some people don’t get them at all, while others – like me – do.

Good luck with all of this. Now just hope that your insurance cooperates quickly.

Thanks for letting us know how it went!

I just took my humira 3 minutes ago - and no problems at all - I’ve gotten through salmonella, dengue fever (same family as Ebola), and Influenza A this year so far… Best thing is how effective it is for me! Hope you have the same success :slight_smile:

Scooter--I'll pile on the "don't worry" bandwagon. I'm on Humira, too, and I've been known to take it in the car (once on the way to a fancy dinner and another time on the way to the airport) and right before I jump in the hot tub (well, jump is a lie). Think of it more for the good it is doing in keeping the disease in check and allowing you to regain mobility and to recommence activities you've had to let go than for the potential side effects that may or may not get. Oh, and if you're OK with injections, the pre-filled syringes are less stabby than the auto-injector. Hope to get to feeling more like your old self soon.

Thanks! I'll try not to worry then!

LOL, well, other than the insurance part. The Dr. didn't think it would be a problem getting it approved though, so we shall see.

Wow! More good news! My insurance company already approved the pre-auth for the Humira and MUCH more quickly than the Dr. said was at all likely :)

Maybe he just likes to set low expectations, but it was a peasant surprise anyway!!