Does anyone have any suggestions regarding my first appointment with rhuematologist?

My first appointment with a rhuematologist is next week. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding: What to expect? What I should remember to tell him? What information from my medical history is important? What symptoms I have that may be related to RA?

Hi Andy! I hopped over and read your profile to understand what’s going on a bit. Just as an FYI PsA is not RA, even though we use a lot of the same medicines. This is quite the question to ask, as I’ve grown up around rheumatologists. First of all, the doc or his nurse or PA should get a comprehensive medical history from you and then complete a head to toe check of all of your joints. As he/she goes over each joint let them know which ones hurt, don’t be tough and not say anything. Sometimes you can’t help it because you’ll wince in pain, but even if it’s mild you should tell the doc. Also, a good doc will ask how this affects your day to day life, then tell you how much better they aim to get you.

PsA tends to affect soft tissues a lot like your tendons and cartilage and where those pieces attach in the joint, so treatment will look a little different than JUST focusing on bone health. A lot of time physical therapy is prescribed, and if you can afford it it can significantly help reduce pain and problems associated with PsA.

I would also make a list, I started doing this in the last couple years and it really helps, like on an index card and have it out where the doc can see it. This way no matter where the conversation goes you won’t forget to ask or mention what you thought was important. Anything out of the ordinary could be important too. For instance, I recently started losing a lot of hair and this made my doc realize I was having a much more serious flare than we first realized.

Don’t be afraid to ask too many questions (this is something I had to get over), you may feel like you’re being annoying, but if you don’t ask how will you know? Be your own advocate and the doc will know you’re serious about getting better.

I hope this helps, and good luck :slight_smile:

Hi Andy, Hurtblogger has pretty much covered it in wonderful detail! Lists are wonderful tools for all appointments I've found. A list of all treatment providers, all tests and treatments done and where, all medications tried and thier effectiveness or lack thereof, all diagnoses and why they were discarded as applicable. Make sure to include ALL medical issues, PsA is a systemic disease and not just dealing with skeletal problems as Hurtblogger noted. My 'constipated eyelids' and 'tongue fissures' didn't seem important for me to relate but definitely are. I have learned to keep a running list as I go because, let's face it, we are pretty much run through the mill so to speak. I find I forget to put things in if I wait until either filling out a medical history or discussing it with a new provider. 'See attached' is a wonderful alternative to filling out 100 forms :)

The other point that Hurtblogger made that I really connect with is telling if something hurts or not. Many of us have become so used to pain on a daily basis that what we think of as a good day would knock someone else down in bed for the day. A good day for me is running 5 or under - oh how I hate that pain scale but it is what it is :) - so being very specific about ALL of your pain to the physician is key to developing a good, and hopefully effective, treatment plan. We learn to be very stoic, not wanting to 'whine' (my own feeling and word), but your appointment is the place to lay it out on the table.

Best of luck with your appointment, I hope this will take you on a helpful path.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I definitely will use your suggestions. I’ve started my list of symptoms and I’m glad I did, because there are numerous things I would have forgotten. It is nice to hear from someone who understands and has experienced some of the same symptoms. I am the youngest of 6 children, ( the oldest is 70!) and I am the only one with PsA or severe joint pain. Eventhough we are close, they do not understand my condition and how it effects my life; so I don’t have anyone to talk to about it. Thanks again.
MB said:

Hi Andy, Hurtblogger has pretty much covered it in wonderful detail! Lists are wonderful tools for all appointments I've found. A list of all treatment providers, all tests and treatments done and where, all medications tried and thier effectiveness or lack thereof, all diagnoses and why they were discarded as applicable. Make sure to include ALL medical issues, PsA is a systemic disease and not just dealing with skeletal problems as Hurtblogger noted. My 'constipated eyelids' and 'tongue fissures' didn't seem important for me to relate but definitely are. I have learned to keep a running list as I go because, let's face it, we are pretty much run through the mill so to speak. I find I forget to put things in if I wait until either filling out a medical history or discussing it with a new provider. 'See attached' is a wonderful alternative to filling out 100 forms :)

The other point that Hurtblogger made that I really connect with is telling if something hurts or not. Many of us have become so used to pain on a daily basis that what we think of as a good day would knock someone else down in bed for the day. A good day for me is running 5 or under - oh how I hate that pain scale but it is what it is :) - so being very specific about ALL of your pain to the physician is key to developing a good, and hopefully effective, treatment plan. We learn to be very stoic, not wanting to 'whine' (my own feeling and word), but your appointment is the place to lay it out on the table.

Best of luck with your appointment, I hope this will take you on a helpful path.

Thank you for your suggestoins, they are very helpful. I was misdiagnosed with osteoarthritis for many years. (I’ve already started my list because I have 40 years to remember!) Recently, I saw a podiatrist for severe foot pain that I’ve had for years, also diagnosed as OA. Turns out my foot has been broken all along. The x-rays he took, show that all of my toes are deformed and will probably progress. He believes I have PsA and recommended a Rheumy, hoping that the progression of my disease can be slowed or stopped from causing injury to my hands. It is nice to have someone who understands to communicate with about my condition. None of my friends or family have it and really don’t understand how it affects my life. Thank you again.

Hurtblogger said:

Hi Andy! I hopped over and read your profile to understand what's going on a bit. Just as an FYI PsA is not RA, even though we use a lot of the same medicines. This is quite the question to ask, as I've grown up around rheumatologists. First of all, the doc or his nurse or PA should get a comprehensive medical history from you and then complete a head to toe check of all of your joints. As he/she goes over each joint let them know which ones hurt, don't be tough and not say anything. Sometimes you can't help it because you'll wince in pain, but even if it's mild you should tell the doc. Also, a good doc will ask how this affects your day to day life, then tell you how much better they aim to get you.

PsA tends to affect soft tissues a lot like your tendons and cartilage and where those pieces attach in the joint, so treatment will look a little different than JUST focusing on bone health. A lot of time physical therapy is prescribed, and if you can afford it it can significantly help reduce pain and problems associated with PsA.

I would also make a list, I started doing this in the last couple years and it really helps, like on an index card and have it out where the doc can see it. This way no matter where the conversation goes you won't forget to ask or mention what you thought was important. Anything out of the ordinary could be important too. For instance, I recently started losing a lot of hair and this made my doc realize I was having a much more serious flare than we first realized.

Don't be afraid to ask too many questions (this is something I had to get over), you may feel like you're being annoying, but if you don't ask how will you know? Be your own advocate and the doc will know you're serious about getting better.

I hope this helps, and good luck :)

Andy, make sure you understand what the doctor is telling you. If not, ask them to explain. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Best of luck.