Query

If I am developing new patches of psoriasis does that mean my disease is not under control? Pardon me if this is a self evident question I just need to know. My Rheumy saw me 2 months ago and said all was well, since then multiple new patches of patches and sore joints.

Hi, I wish I could help with that question.

I'm having what sounds like the same issue. I had thought the same myself. Although some of the new patches are small I'm finding they are more spread out. I have some joints that that I hadn't had trouble with before get sore and red but it usually eases up after a couple days. I had sort of figured it was the meds keeping things under control but I really don't know. My Rheumy doesn't seem to think it's of concern.

I hope someone has some insight into this.

I don't know the answer either. When I was diagnosed, you could barely find any psoriasis and years before, I had it all over my scalp and some on my elbows. I always had a fairly mild case.

Kirsten, I think I recall reading that there is no correlation between the severity of the skin symptoms and the severity of the joint manifestations. So you can have barely visible PsO, and severe PsA, and vice versa.
Worth checking with your Rheumy, I think, if you are having increased joint symptoms.

Thanks for your responses. It is one thing after another with me: new patches of psoriasis, ‘musical joints’ as Mimi put it, fatigue that is unrelenting and feeling under the weather constantly! Just yesterday ad ~24hrs of excruciating knee pain. Hit it hard with strong NSAID and a painkiller for ~24hrs and feels ‘better’ now but now my elbows are striking.
How do we know whether we are getting worse or having a flare? When do we say ’ ok, this is my new normal’ versus ‘I am having pain and symptoms that were not present before so this is disease progression’.
I am feeling done in. If I was a turkey I would be dry and overlooked.

Kirsten, I know. A lot of us have been where you are. There came a point where I began to wonder whether a lot of “it” was my imagination. Or even my own fault: if I had looked after myself better … if I had exercised more … if I’d just buck up and move on … if if if… But it’s not malingering, or dwelling, or your fault. This wretched disease hurts everything. Body. Mind. Everything.

If you are wondering about your symptoms, I think you need to check with your rheumatologist. I know that’s difficult where you live. Or at least run it by your GP. (I know, my GP got sick of me, but you need someone besides us!)

Thinking of you, and hoping you feel less turkey-like soon!

I don't know how truthful this is, but a co-worker and I started talking about Enbrel vs Humira. At the time I was on Enbrel and he on Humira. But he told me (per his derm) that the remission rate of P is better on Humira, that if I was still having new patches appear that Enbrel wasn't really controlling it for me as it should go into a remission. My derm on the other hand saw no concern with my patches compared to how I looked prior to being on the biologic in 2007.

For me. When I have P appear, I smother it in topical steroid and put a gauze or band-aid on a couple nights and that seems to help keep it from becoming larger. And go away sooner.

Hi Kirsten I have severe Psa that the rheumy has not been able to get under control for the last three years but started off with no skin psoriasis at all now I only get very minimal patches on my knees and elbows and sometimes in my scalp the psoriasis patches don’t seem to get any worse but my joint damage tiredness and pain are never ending but maybe it’s not the same for everyone. Hope you feel better soon