YAY! Symptoms talk!

Another day, another symptom, or so it seems.

I've got joint involvement in my left thumb with the lovely sausage look, joint swelling and nodule by my right wrist/metacarpal area, redness pain and swelling to my R great toe/metatarsal area (ball of R foot), stiffness, joint effusion, and pain to the L elbow as well. I get a lot of pain and stiffness to my L shoulder. When it rains or the weather is bad my right hip and ankle, as well as my lower spine ache as well. I also seem to see a worsening of symptoms the week before my menses, which my Rheumy says is normal. It just really depends on the day whether which joints hurt more or a more stiff. I never know what to expect.

My morning stiffness lasts anywhere from 4-6 hours on average. I have had inflammation of the tendons and ligaments at times as well. Currently, I have inflammation of the sternum. It's probably not related at all to the PsA but I'm having some lovely swelling of my face and eyelids right now. Suddenly, it appears, I've become allergic/sensitive to makeup. Awesomesauce, right?

I will get muscle spams with no precursor to my Right hip/glute area. I often wake up with very sore joints and muscles. I really would like to meet who've I've been fighting in my sleep because this has got to stop, lol. I often have trouble lifting or griping when I first wake up. I've had to completely relearn how to grip and grab things.

I've noticed with this flare up that I've really had a tough time with fatigue. Really getting tired quickly. One day at a time, I suppose. Hopefully some of these symptoms will decrease rather than increase soon.

But has anyone else had any burning of the skin anywhere? I'm not just talking about irritation over areas with psoriasis, I'm talking a feeling of burning on unaffected skin. That's been happening pretty recently.

I think we are twins… You have just described what I go through everyday and even though I dont get my period most months I still feel the connection to those days as I get the regular bloating, weakness, crampy feelings and I too seem to have my flare ups coincide with that! So a week before and a week after only gives me one good painless week:( Anyway what I was saying about having all the exact symptoms is that I find the weakness at times to be so bad my breathing is labored! The muscle spasms are very annoying because Im not sure where they will pop up although I do have the regular areas you mentioned. Also swelling to my eyelids and the horrible lower neck and L shoulder pain. The feeling in my skin as well, I feel burning and feels like the air just hitting it makes it hurt! I feel like I have small bumps under my skin especially on my forearms. I am newly diagnosed and only take Aleve and the one depomedrol shot I got on 11/22 which helped me get out of a severe flare up. I will be starting on Methotextrate in Feb 2014 so we will see then how I feel:) Hope you feel better and yes, taking one day at a time!

Hi Sunny. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. You described what I go through most days as well. I've been experiencing burning of the skin on my arms and legs for at least a year. It feels like I have sun burn, but there are not visual signs of sun burn. It is also accompanied by skin sensitivity...sensitive to touch. I have no idea if it is related to PsA. I plan to ask my Rheumy at my February visit. Have you talked to your Rheumy about the burning skin?

I love your talk of fighting in your sleep. Many days I get up and tell my husband I feel like someone was beating me all over with a baseball bat all night. We need to find these people running around all night beating people with PsA LOL!!

I had the burning skin sensation mostly on my arms followed by a fine rash, almost like a heat rash. I hated for anything to touch my skin. My rheumy finally hit upon a solution that works for me; famotidine. Keep in mind that this is what works for me. I am not telling anyone to rush out and take this. I don't want GrumpyCat to get me. :) Famotidine is an antihistamine blocker and, surprisingly, to me at least, it sometimes helps with skin reactions. As for make up, I just quit wearing it. My Mom fusses about it, but I'd rather be able to see through eyes that aren't swollen.

Don’t worry about Grumpy getting you. She’s on holidays. LOL But hey, that’s really interesting that famotidine worked for you.

Tirezza said:

I am not telling anyone to rush out and take this. I don’t want GrumpyCat to get me. :slight_smile:

Oh, Good. I can relax. I was so very, very happy that it did. My bother has PsA also. He tried it and it worked for him, too.
Seenie said:

Don't worry about Grumpy getting you. She's on holidays. LOL But hey, that's really interesting that famotidine worked for you.

Tirezza said:

I am not telling anyone to rush out and take this. I don't want GrumpyCat to get me. :)

No, I haven't talked to the rheumy about the burning skin, but I will next time. So many things happening so quickly!

And, right, Marietta? I tell ya, whoever if being a ref during these sleep fights is definitely letting the rounds go on for too long.

Just a note ... Grumpy's post about rules and guidelines about posting about meds is from all the moderators on this board (so watch out! LOL ...just kidding) ... and I want to say that your wording of your post is great, as it states that it's your experience and not medical advice. Please don't be hard on Grumpy because she was the one to post that post. :)

Tirezza said:

I am not telling anyone to rush out and take this. I don't want GrumpyCat to get me. :) Famotidine is an antihistamine blocker and, surprisingly, to me at least, it sometimes helps with skin reactions.

Just an FYI fomatodine is a fancy name for Pepcid.................. and it is used for rashes. But hey if you are taking a daily NSAID, why not kill two birds with one stone. I know there are newer cooler gut drugs but I remember when pepcid was a "miracle drug"

Thank you,Nym! I'm just proud that I remembered a post.

Also, I'm only kidding, too, GrumpyCat. :)
nym said:

Just a note ... Grumpy's post about rules and guidelines about posting about meds is from all the moderators on this board (so watch out! LOL ...just kidding) ... and I want to say that your wording of your post is great, as it states that it's your experience and not medical advice. Please don't be hard on Grumpy because she was the one to post that post. :)

Tirezza said:

I am not telling anyone to rush out and take this. I don't want GrumpyCat to get me. :) Famotidine is an antihistamine blocker and, surprisingly, to me at least, it sometimes helps with skin reactions.

The wording of your post, Tirezza, was perfectly fine. You told us what was working for you, which we all do all the time around here. Saying what workks for you isn’t the same as giving medical advice. No different from saying that mtx works or doesn’t, or for that matter, Enbrel or tiger balm.

As for Grumpy, we all worked on those rules. And some of us are NOT as nice aa she is. wink**wink

nym said:

Just a note … Grumpy’s post about rules and guidelines about posting about meds is from all the moderators on this board (so watch out! LOL …just kidding) … and I want to say that your wording of your post is great, as it states that it’s your experience and not medical advice. Please don’t be hard on Grumpy because she was the one to post that post. :slight_smile:

Tirezza said:

I am not telling anyone to rush out and take this. I don’t want GrumpyCat to get me. :slight_smile: Famotidine is an antihistamine blocker and, surprisingly, to me at least, it sometimes helps with skin reactions.

I have recently had burning/irritation along the top of my shoulder to the back of my neck. My shoulders have a lot of involvement along with the back of my neck. My right shoulder was hurting for a few week and the area from my shoulder to neck was tender, sore to touch and wearing a bra strap in that area hurt. Almost like it was bruised or there was a rash but nothing there. I'm thinking it's probably part of enthesitis and will be talking to my rheumatologist about it when I see her this month.

Hi, did you do well on the Methotextrate.I am hoping it did and that it really does work.. . i just started taking it and i have read it is not proven to stop any future joint damage caused by psoriatic arthritis..

Ygarcia209 said:

I think we are twins... You have just described what I go through everyday and even though I dont get my period most months I still feel the connection to those days as I get the regular bloating, weakness, crampy feelings and I too seem to have my flare ups coincide with that! So a week before and a week after only gives me one good painless week:( Anyway what I was saying about having all the exact symptoms is that I find the weakness at times to be so bad my breathing is labored! The muscle spasms are very annoying because Im not sure where they will pop up although I do have the regular areas you mentioned. Also swelling to my eyelids and the horrible lower neck and L shoulder pain. The feeling in my skin as well, I feel burning and feels like the air just hitting it makes it hurt! I feel like I have small bumps under my skin especially on my forearms. I am newly diagnosed and only take Aleve and the one depomedrol shot I got on 11/22 which helped me get out of a severe flare up. I will be starting on Methotextrate in Feb 2014 so we will see then how I feel:) Hope you feel better and yes, taking one day at a time!