Psoriatic Arthritis Associated With Balance Problems

Psoriatic Arthritis Associated With Balance and Hearing Problems

My hearing is fine but I definitely have balance issues and some postural vertigo. Anyone else ?

I have had balance and hearing problems for years (although my first big flare was in May last year and I was diagnosed in November). I once managed to trip over my own foot!!! Actually some of my "falling down stories" are retold among friends for some laughs! I also had a very serious dizziness problem some years ago, I don't know if it was vertigo, I never saw a doctor about it. But people had to carry me to a safe place and make me sit down or lie down a couple of times, so that I wouldn't fall down or faint or something.

I also have some hearing problems that have become a joke as well. I sometimes feel like I don't hear properly, I have to ask people to repeat themselves, I hear them wrongly, I turn the volume of the TV up etc.. For that, I did go to an ear doctor, he did some hearing tests and said that my hearing was OK, and hinted that I was probably a little absentminded!!! (I don't know if any of these were PsA related though, it has been a couple of years.)

My ears ring constantly, and it's quite loud. Idk if it's PsA related or not. It is annoying. It's like the floaters I have in my eyes. Another annoyance that I don't think can be fixed!

I got dizzy like that once, LL! Omg, you didn't go to the doctor? My daughter took me in. She said I was walking like a drunk--everything was spinning and it wouldn't stop! I got nauseated and we had to grab a wastebasket--that never happens to me. The P.A. who examined me said there was nothing wrong with my ears, so she didn't know what it was. But she went on to tell me she was dizzy like that for 3 months once and she went to work and everything. I told her there was no way in he (ll) I could even drive a car feeling like that--obviously she just had some lightheadedness or something. Everybody gets that once-in-awhile! Needless to say, she's on my black list and whenever I make an appointment I tell them not with her!

Well, Grandma J, as I was so used to thinking that I was crazy, I just assumed it was psychological. And it may have been. It was a very hard time for me. This dizziness lasted for a couple of months. And I didn't want to go to the doctor because I didn't want to hear them say it was "all in my head".

I have the ear ringing problem and some dizziness now too. I especially get dizzy when I lower my head to tie my shoes or something. I feel like my brain is going to fall off from my head. But I think these are the side effects of the antiinflammatory.

If you take NCAIDs it is a normal side effect. I time my pill around driving because it kicks in after 30 mins or so from taking my indomethacin. Ringing ears, dizziness and balance cause nausea and the eye floaters etc. All anti inflammatory cause this especially in regular large doses. I don’t think its PSA I think its the pills. Had this when taken them after car accident as well.

Yes Rachael I figured the ear ringing and dizziness was the antiinflammatory - and I am taking indomethacin too. But the balance and hearing problems have been there for a long time now :)

I don't take pills regularly, though. I took big doses temporarily for my back pain, but other than that an aspirin or Excedrin for an occasional headache. One Tylenol pm every night to sleep, but they're not anti-inflammatories. I think my ringing is damage from not wearing hearing protection when I should have. :-(

Could be for sure. I work in loud industrial plant and making sure to wear hearing protection is so important. Been working there 18 yrs and have some hearing loss from it. I thought the ringing was from that until I did research and put 2 and 2 together. My loss is not significant enough for the level of ringing. No wonder they get our diagnosis wrong often so hard to always tell things apart!

Yes!! me too, I don't have any hearing problems But my balance is not good at all.