Psoriasis worse after biologics

Prior to starting humira, my psoriasis was pretty much non existent. I had a terrible reaction. Psoriasis exploded on my scalp, neck and behind both ears. It was so bad my rheum thought it was a fungal infection so I had to go to a dermatologist (confirmed it was p) I ended up stopping humira since it did nothing for my arthritis. I switched to orencia soon after. It seemed like my p was getting better at first but now its continuing to spread and it’s weeping! This is the worse my p has been in my whole entire life. It’s constantly oozing since I wear glasses. I’m absolutely miserable. I noticed a dry spot on my forehead yesterday and I’m praying it’s not another patch. Has anyone dealt with this before? I have been on both humira and orencia (most biologics actually) with no reactions so I’m very confused. I’m in the process of switching insurances so I can’t see a doctor until the 1st of next month. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

I’m currently only using aquaphor to help keep it moisturized. I’m continuing to use ketoconazole on my scalp, but it stopped working :confused:

1 Like

Hey hylianprincess.
Sorry you’re having so much problems. I’m lucky to have a friend that makes natural herbal and essential oils soaps and shampoos and conditioner, and lotions. I use tea tree oil soap and shampoo and calamine soap and my faves are oatmeAl milk and honey soap and medicinal watermelon and medicinal peach and medicinal strawberry. They’re not cheap but They all seem to help with itching and psoriasis pathes. If you want her number or address, just let me know. Prayers for you to feel better soon.

When I went on Enbrel, my psoriasis cleared up about 80%. That was almost four years ago and I had a good long stretch of nearly clear skin–only a little psoriasis on my knees and lower part of my right leg. Fast forward to May of this year and I’ve had little spots of psoriasis popping up all over my arms and legs, and my scalp has been itching some. I’m hoping this is just a temporary thing–not sure if it’s a sign of things to come (like PsA getting worse!!!).

Anyway, the ketoconazole never worked for my scalp. It actually made my scalp psoriasis worse. I used betamethasone lotion for years–almost 40 years–which stopped the itch but didn’t cure the psoriasis. Then I found a shampoo, MG217 medicated tar shampoo. It was a godsend, except it does smell like tar. I washed my hair three times a week with MG217 and it stopped the itch and “cured” my scalp psoriasis. I applied a pea-sized amount of good-smelling conditioner afterwards. I’m sure my hair had the smell of conditioner mixed with tar, but because it relieved my psoriasis I didn’t care.

How frustrating this all is and I sure hope you find something to clear it up! Psoriasis is so annoying and embarrassing. I spent my entire adult life covered up with 3/4 length sleeves and jeans, even when it was 100 degrees. I’ve gotten a little more brave since I went on Enbrel because my psoriasis has been so under control that even with the spots popping up recently I still show my arms and legs and really don’t give a sh** anymore–I wish it wouldn’t have taken me most of my life to grow some balls.

5 Likes