PsA worse when something else is wrong?

Hey guys. I think I might have strep, and my joints feel just absolutely horrid. For the past couple nights I've been in the absolute worst pain I've ever had with PsA. I am also running a low fever and my throat is a sore mess. I'm on simponi, just took my shot last weekend, and my joints shouldn't be acting like this at this point. I'm going to my regular Dr tomorrow, but I was just wondering if you guys have ever experienced your joint pain increase possibly due to a different sickness (like strep)?

I’ve noticed I feel more pain during my period. Weird as it sounds. I have noticed that the last two months…

my rhuemy said that any time your body is dealing with anything other than the PsA (as if that wasnt enough) you will be in 100x more pain and discomfort than if you were dealing with it without PsA. I have noticed the same as Karynailes during my menstration, I also had a cold about a month ago and what used to be a annoyance put me on my but for 4 days....even my allergies are worse everything makes me sneeze now!!!!! when i started humira my rhumey gave me the stay away from sick people speech and now i know why however that is practically immpossible! but now i completly know why.....good luck and i hope you feel better soon

I agree - that monthly thing makes things worse. Read somewhere that stress can make it worse - colds & other physical issues are a type of stress on the body...when I read it I assumed mental stress !! Getting overtired is bad too.

Yes. Any stress to the body can make PsA pain worse. Any inflammation or joint pain not due to PsA can be amplified if you have PsA.

I hope you're feeling better soon!!!

Thanks guys for all the information! I went to my regular dr today, I don't have strep and actually I'm feeling much better today. Hope you guys have a great rest of the week!

~Angie~

Stress usually affects me really, really bad. I'm trying to keep everything at work and at home as calm as possible and I think it's helping. I can't always control others at work though, and when people start freaking out around me and swirling, I can actually feel twinges in my back starting. Last week I hosted a meeting I knew was going to get bad (lots of raised voices, arguing), so I took in herbal teas and biscotti. All the teas had a theme (stress relief, calming, relive tension, etc.). I'm not sure if they helped anyone else, but they helped me get through the meeting. haha By the way, Yogi brand teas are awesome!

Glad you're feeling better!

Thanks CJ! I will def. check out that tea next time I go to the store. I'm glad you are able to keep the stress from getting to you at work, I can imagine how hard that must be when people all around you are arguing. I really started realizing the effects that stress can have on the inflammation this Sunday. I woke up feeling great, it was a super low pain day, I went shopping, ran errands, exercised a little. Then I came home from target and my husband said that my 4 year old had a temp of 104. I did the usual first-time-parent freak out thing and called the doctor, then ran to the pharmacy to get her some medicine, and on my way out of the pharmacy it hit me like a cement block. I actually felt nearly every joint in my body flare up, and I could barely muster up the strength to turn the steering wheel bcuz the pain in my hands, wrists, shoulders etc. was so severe. It felt like thousands of tiny fire-hot needles piercing every joint I have, and because my daughter was so sick I had to pretend like I was fine. The last thing my husband needed was another "patient" to worry about. Its frustrating because when stress happens, we want to deal with that stress and move on, but when a flare up happens in the midst of the stress, it makes it so hard (at least for me) to be clear headed.

CJCB said:

Stress usually affects me really, really bad. I'm trying to keep everything at work and at home as calm as possible and I think it's helping. I can't always control others at work though, and when people start freaking out around me and swirling, I can actually feel twinges in my back starting. Last week I hosted a meeting I knew was going to get bad (lots of raised voices, arguing), so I took in herbal teas and biscotti. All the teas had a theme (stress relief, calming, relive tension, etc.). I'm not sure if they helped anyone else, but they helped me get through the meeting. haha By the way, Yogi brand teas are awesome!

Glad you're feeling better!