PsA and Neuropathy

A new thing for the disease de jour - neuropathy. I had surgery on my broken ankle and months later my legs feel numb and cold and clammy and weird. I got a diagnosis today, so I am waiting to hear back from the rhuematologist who ordered the tests. My uninjuried leg seems to be getting better, so maybe they both will. What meds can they prescibe for this? The neurologist seems to think it is related to the psoriatic arthritis. Maybe it will just go away? My disease seems to be in pretty good control right now.

Anyone else have this sort of thing?

I'll be having a similar chat with my rheumy, so I don't really have any answers for you, sorry! I had two rounds of testing done, one report from one doctor confirms neuropathy and one from another doctor (different hospital) says I do not have neuropathy. (And one report said significant muscle weakness on left side, the other didn't find as much weakness). So confusing! Both my rheumy and neuro think it's due to PsA.

Thanks for your reply. I expect to hear from the rheumatologist today and hopefully there will be something to do! Prednisone or something! I haven't given anyone a chance to have a different opinion, it all makes sense to me. Just one more thing.....

No weakness, just numbness, thank goodness for that. The neurologist thinks it is the PsA too. I am on it quick, I hope. It just started July 1.

I don't have neuropathy ... or rather I think I do but it's intermittent / mild. Several possible drugs come to mind from previous posts. I know a current discussion is best, but if you put 'neuropathy' into the search box I think you'll see the same medications mentioned quite frequently.

I think neuropathy is pretty common with PsA. Unless I'm missing something, I reckon this diagnosis will come as quite a relief to you, is that so? I hope things are looking up!

It is no suprise, I just hope something can be done about it since it is really uncomfortable. I take a lot of the medicines mentioned, so, whatever. If I stop some of them, the alternative is not good.

I am waiting to hear from the rheumatologist today. The doctor thing has all happened in a week, so that is good!

My phsical therapist (for my broken ankle) was interested in the diagnosis, but I don't think it wil change anything at this point.

With PsA it is always something I suppose. If one has it long enough, one will have all kinds of problems. (in my case, some extras too!)

Neurotonin for example ... is that one you take already?

Nope, that is not one I take. I'll look it up. I did...I also had shingles as a young person, so maybe this might be the one. I had shingles before there was much for it, it was probably more than 30 years ago, right after my first round of chemotherapy.

There's another discussion about neuropathy right now--for me, Nortriptyline worked like magic--I would take it again if my neuropathy returns.

I should add, I'm not too quick to take pills, and it did have a SE of really dry mouth and I'm not sure, but I think it caused my sudden vitreous detachment in my eyes, but for the relief of really painful neuropathy in my feet, I wouldn't hesitate to take it again!

Thank you! We will see about medication tomorrow. It is just getting worse.

Hi,
I have had neuropathy for years, I tried Gabapentin and Lyrica, they just made me spaced out and didn’t help with the pain. I am now on 60 mg of cymbalta twice a day, seems to help some. These medications just help with nerve pain, they do not restore feeling to the area. If they can find the cause, such as a pinched nerve, then it can possibly be reversed.
Hope you get some help!

Thanks. Nothing yet.