Prednisone cure?

I’m brand new, just got my diagnosis last week (well, technically don’t have a diagnosis yet, but looking like…) trying to figure this all out, and lurking in the discussion boards has helped!

So, my rheumy put me on prednisone to start with. She says she thinks I have PsA but that I might have something called reactive arthritis and a short term course of prednisone could make my symptoms go away and never come back. Has anyone heard of this happening (fingers painfully crossed)?

Also, I’ve been on the prednisone (20 mg/day) for 3 days, and I guess my feet feel a bit better, but my hands (which is where most of my pain is) feel the same. From what I’ve read, prednisone is supposed to be the miracle cure (aside from the horrible side effects)? Any insight from those of you with experience with this would be much appreciated.

Oh, prednisone is a miracle, all right. But it's not a cure. It diminishes symptoms -- swelling, pain, etc. -- the cost being side effects. Some of the long term side effects (like reduced bone density) are really really nasty. Prednisone is useful for temporary relief until the other meds do their cure- or remission- thing. For some people, though, it is the only relief they get. And then it becomes a trade-off between the relief and the long- and short-term side effects.

My rheumy initially put me on a ten day trial "run" of prednisone to see how I would respond. I did, and I felt great on it. That told her, I guess, that my pain was coming from swelling and inflammation. And we went from there.

Maybe your rheumy is thinking that if this is reactive arthritis, the prednisone may settle the reaction down, and when you go off it, the "fire" will be out for you. Let's hope that's the case.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you ... ouch, that hurts.

Seenie

Thanks for your insight Seenie. How long did it take the prednisone to work for you? I guess I expected a greater decrease in my pain after 3 days, and my fingers are still swollen. I’ve gone from hoping prednisone would be the cure, to just hoping it will have some impact…

Seenie said:

Oh, prednisone is a miracle, all right. But it’s not a cure. It diminishes symptoms – swelling, pain, etc. – the cost being side effects. Some of the long term side effects (like reduced bone density) are really really nasty. Prednisone is useful for temporary relief until the other meds do their cure- or remission- thing. For some people, though, it is the only relief they get. And then it becomes a trade-off between the relief and the long- and short-term side effects.

My rheumy initially put me on a ten day trial “run” of prednisone to see how I would respond. I did, and I felt great on it. That told her, I guess, that my pain was coming from swelling and inflammation. And we went from there.

Maybe your rheumy is thinking that if this is reactive arthritis, the prednisone may settle the reaction down, and when you go off it, the “fire” will be out for you. Let’s hope that’s the case.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you … ouch, that hurts.

Seenie

I could feel a difference within hours, but it gradually improved over a few days. Prednisone (at 20 mg) never completely eliminated the pain, but I felt better on the it than I had on anything before or since.

Your dose of 20mg isn't that big. I understand people take much more than that for severe problems.

Oh, BTW, on that dose I felt like an overstuffed sausage, but that disappeared within days when I stopped the prednisone.

S

Mamma said:

Thanks for your insight Seenie. How long did it take the prednisone to work for you? I guess I expected a greater decrease in my pain after 3 days, and my fingers are still swollen. I've gone from hoping prednisone would be the cure, to just hoping it will have some impact...

Seenie said:

Oh, prednisone is a miracle, all right. But it's not a cure. It diminishes symptoms -- swelling, pain, etc. -- the cost being side effects. Some of the long term side effects (like reduced bone density) are really really nasty. Prednisone is useful for temporary relief until the other meds do their cure- or remission- thing. For some people, though, it is the only relief they get. And then it becomes a trade-off between the relief and the long- and short-term side effects.

My rheumy initially put me on a ten day trial "run" of prednisone to see how I would respond. I did, and I felt great on it. That told her, I guess, that my pain was coming from swelling and inflammation. And we went from there.

Maybe your rheumy is thinking that if this is reactive arthritis, the prednisone may settle the reaction down, and when you go off it, the "fire" will be out for you. Let's hope that's the case.

Seenie

Thanks Seenie! I guess I'll wait a couple more days, then contact my rheum y if not starting to feel better. Definitely helps to get the input from someone who's been there!

Seenie said:

I could feel a difference within hours, but it gradually improved over a few days. Prednisone (at 20 mg) never completely eliminated the pain, but I felt better on the it than I had on anything before or since.

Your dose of 20mg isn't that big. I understand people take much more than that for severe problems.

Oh, BTW, on that dose I felt like an overstuffed sausage, but that disappeared within days when I stopped the prednisone.

S

Mamma said:

Thanks for your insight Seenie. How long did it take the prednisone to work for you? I guess I expected a greater decrease in my pain after 3 days, and my fingers are still swollen. I've gone from hoping prednisone would be the cure, to just hoping it will have some impact...

Seenie said:

Seenie

I'll confirm what Seenie says - for me, I could feel it working within hours (particularly on the fatigue). 15mg took all the pain and swelling away and I actually did exercise for the first time in 3 months!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Just talked to my rheumy – looks like we’ll be upping the dose as I still haven’t seen any improvement. Sigh–so much for the quick fix!

JenAus said:

I’ll confirm what Seenie says - for me, I could feel it working within hours (particularly on the fatigue). 15mg took all the pain and swelling away and I actually did exercise for the first time in 3 months!

Yes Predisone is a miracle n for the first time I have been pain free for 16 days.Only issue is the side effects I am facing.I am woozy all the time!!!

Seenie said:

Seenie

Hi I was diagnosed in January, did aleeve for a few months till my hands felt like someone was standing on them. I called my Dr. who prescribed prednisone lasted 4 days, the pain just got worse. My hair looked great! I am on methatrexate but that does not seem to work. My friend who has had Psa for 10 yrs told me it is trail and error, and hope you have a great dr. Good luck.