Just diagnosed

I tried Prednisone for the first week, with no relief. Now I'm on Methotrexate...just took 2nd weekly dose this AM. My feet used to be the worst place for pain, but now, I'm having all day (especially AM) hip pain in both sides. Please tell me Methotrexate will normally begin to work in 4 weeks, right? I'm a wreck. Seems like my symptoms have ellevated since I was officially diagnosed with PsA. Maybe it's a mental thing and I'm paying more attention to the pain. I'm 37 years old, have completed 15 triathlons and I feel like a 90 year old man. This disease is horrible.

Hello Kris, sorry you are in so much pain. Wish I could tell you that its an easy fix. Truth is for most of us it takes a little time to see what will work best for us. The hardest part is being patient I think. My rheumy told me it would take about 3 months to see results from each new medication we tried.I think it is fair to say if you see no improvement in 3 months it is time to try something different. Best of luck to you. Feel free to contact me anytime.

12 weeks is more like it. Tell us more about the predi try though. It SHOULD have made a difference. There is usually a reason if it doesn't........

Another question Lamb if you don’t mind,why would steroid injections which have always given relief cease to work anymore. I saw a different DR last month who was giving me my much needed stab in the shoulder and she said to me “you do know that these wont work forever”. I didn’t ask why at the time.

Thats sort of a can of worms depending on who you talk too...... Traditionally it was thought that repeated injections softened cartilage and weakened tendons. Then there were studies that showed the injections actually slowed joint damage without the bad effects if only done a few time a year. The simple fact is they just quit working The body assumes the stuff belongs there sort like the high volume steroid creams for P.

heres a pretty good site:

http://rheuminfo.com/steroid-cortisone-injections-detailed-information

This isn't an actual study but is a pretty good article about the trend AWAY from using the injections for back pain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2232298/Steroid-injection...

I coudn't agree more BTW..... Never had a good experience.(back) For the other joints in all honesty I have had far BETTER luck with Flector patches, especially my shoulders. I jave been able to go almost 3 years beyond when they said I needed surgery, an still don't see a need (well not totally true, I coulda had my shoulders REMOVED Sun night and though nothing of it.....

Lindseylou said:

Another question Lamb if you don't mind,why would steroid injections which have always given relief cease to work anymore. I saw a different DR last month who was giving me my much needed stab in the shoulder and she said to me "you do know that these wont work forever". I didn't ask why at the time.

Thankyou,I will ask about those patches when I go back. I agree about the back situation,I had various places injected with no relief when they found out I had a bilateral pars fracture,they were not pleasant & they didn’t work!

Thanks for those links Lamb, I especially liked the pic with the daily mail one :)

My wife doesn't like me posting my picture, but you know every once in a while a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. keep those options open

LOL post all you like, I'm sure we won't mind ;)

tntlamb said:

My wife doesn't like me posting my picture, but you know every once in a while a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. keep those options open

Lamb-- Rheumy said Pred should have worked right away if it were to work at all. No such luck after 5 or six days. So I quit taking it (I value the ability to fall asleep). Wondering if I stopped taking too soon? Coincidently, I streamed a netflix movie last night called "fat, sick and nearly dead". The truck driver and main character both had active immune systems/auto immune diseases. Both went on juice fast. Truck driver was on Methotrexate and Plaquenill. Off both now. Thinking of trying this to see if it would conquer the symptoms of PsA.

The dose of Predi that works varies widley. The doc is right IF he had the right dose. Most here have talked about 20 - 60mg tapers.. It sometimes takes 5 days to build UP to a helpful dose. Some docs prescribe a 10mg/day dose, I've always wondered why they bother.....

Now listen carefully and tuck this in the back of your mind and be prepared to move on if necessary- there are still a few rheumys out there who will use a failure on predi to question a Dx and/or treatment making the assumption that its not inflammatory. They sometimes move pretty quickly to something else like Fibro.

There is pain involved with PsA that is not purely inflammatory (including enthesis) that predi won't help. MTX and/or biologicals may.

I'm sure yopur doc will work with you for a solution/combo that will work for you. We are all different

As Lamb said everyone is different. My doc started me on medrol which helped to a certain degree. However, since I was having trouble sleeping changed me to prednisone, which made it worse. I am now on Humira and mtx weekly, and a medrol taper. I’ve been feeling pretty good. Though having a tough time right now. I was diagnosised in October.

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. I am thirty five years old and feel about 90 years old as well. I was diagnosed with PsA about three years ago following a rotator cuff surgery for a non-injury related large bone spur and torn tendon and periods of stiffness and pain in my hands, ankles, feet, and wrists. About six months after this my lower back started to become stiff and in pain. Now, three years later my lower back is in severe pain ALL DAY, my, hips, and knees are also getting stiff and in pain as well. Unfortunately my neck is beginning to experience severe pain now too. The methotrexate (6, 2.5mg pills) does help my hands, feet, wrists, ankles, and some of my psoriasis. It has never helped my spine though. My rheum. says that most doctors and research shows that methotrexate typically does not help the axial joints (like the spine and hips). This is defiantly the case for me. I tried Remicade but got sick shortly after with pneumonia and had to stop. I am starting Enbrel next week, so I have my fingers crossed. I would defiantly give the methotrexate more time though since everyone does react differently. Good luck.

June-- keep me in the loop on the Enbrel. Hang in there pal.

June said:

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. I am thirty five years old and feel about 90 years old as well. I was diagnosed with PsA about three years ago following a rotator cuff surgery for a non-injury related large bone spur and torn tendon and periods of stiffness and pain in my hands, ankles, feet, and wrists. About six months after this my lower back started to become stiff and in pain. Now, three years later my lower back is in severe pain ALL DAY, my, hips, and knees are also getting stiff and in pain as well. Unfortunately my neck is beginning to experience severe pain now too. The methotrexate (6, 2.5mg pills) does help my hands, feet, wrists, ankles, and some of my psoriasis. It has never helped my spine though. My rheum. says that most doctors and research shows that methotrexate typically does not help the axial joints (like the spine and hips). This is defiantly the case for me. I tried Remicade but got sick shortly after with pneumonia and had to stop. I am starting Enbrel next week, so I have my fingers crossed. I would defiantly give the methotrexate more time though since everyone does react differently. Good luck.