Plaquenil

My doctor started me on Plaquenil about 10 days ago. I know this is way too soon to see any type of results but I know I'm certainly feeling worse. My fatigue is over the top, pain & discomfort are almost unbearable, dull headache, and nausea constantly. Are these side effects of the Plaquenil and will it go away with time?

Could be, but you need to mention it to your doctor. Plaquenil doesn’t agree with everyone.

On a related note, did you have an ophthalmologist check your eyes before you started P? If not, a check is recommended because this drug can cause eye complications. Rare, but you don’t want to be one of the “lucky” ones.

Some additional info here –
http://discussion.livingwithpsoriaticarthritis.org/forum/topics/and-don-t-overlook-your-eyes

Yes I know about the eye issue. Shortly before my last appointment I had a regular eye exam with the photo of the eye but my eye doctor is an Optometrist so I have an appointment with an Ophthalmologist next week to get the same exam. My insurance is probably question the two eye exams but...nothing I can do about that.

I'll give the Plaquenil another week or so before calling the doc.

OK, Butler, that’s great. Glad to know you’re keeping an eye on your eyes!

It's possible also that you're feeling worse not as a result of the plaquenil, but as a result of the disease itself. Waiting it out does sound like a good plan for the moment. It definitely does take time for it to work. I'm glad that you're on top of the eye exam as well.

I wish you luck with this. I had a good run on this for 6 years, and just came off it recently because I started a biologic.

I was put on Plaquenil and after 6 days, 2 pills each night, I stopped. 2 major headaches, one lasted 16 hours, other 31 hours and for days after my head was sensitive to movement, light.

Here is a list of side effects from the RheumInfo leaflet given to me by my rheumatologist:

Nausea & diarrhea

Skin Rash (online said worsens psoriasis which it did to me)

Headaches

Sun Sensitivie (wear sunscreen)

Says to call Dr. if you feel sick, need or want to stop the drug, or have stopped. No weaning off needed.

Have you tried any other DMARDS? I'm on MTX, but only 2 pills 2 times a week. Even just 3 pills knocks me down the next day.

My friend has RA and was on P. and she was fine with it. No side effects.

Hope this helps, and just because our Dr. tells us to take it, (my thoughts, not imposing on you), doesn't mean we have to continue if it makes us sicker than the disease. I took myself off: sulfasalazine, arava and plaque.

Im going to stop the Plaquenil. I'm still having the same reactions as when I first posted this. I'll send an email to my doc letting him know and request an appointment to try something else.

Sounds reasonable to me, Butler!

I've been trying it for the second time and have had terrible bloating,cramping,nausea and bowel issues. I have cut back to one daily but still having issues so tomorrow I am stopping it. Hopefully the mess it has created with my stomach goes away and it's not a permanent thing...

I was on Plaquenil for 13 weeks at which time I was pulled off - I developed a complete burning body rash - everywhere.

Digestive upsets were the only problem up until then. I have since read that although it helps PsA, it can make psoriasis worse.

I took plaquenil for 6 months with no positive effect, although I didn't have any stomach issues. I was getting a lot of hives at the time, never sure if that was from the plaquenil or just general AI fun.