Pain, fatigue, and brain fog - oh my!

Hi there! I’m KitKat, a 43 yo mother of three in Missouri. After a couple decades of intermittent joint pain and other inflammatory symptoms, I was finally diagnosed with PsA in April. My rheumatologist started me on Methotrexate and after a couple months upped my dosage from 15mg to 17.5mg. I actually tolerated the MTX fairly well, and it helped a lot with the pain in my hands and feet. Unfortunately, the pain in my tendons has gotten worse. I’ve had cortisone shots in a shoulder and an elbow, but when I went in today I reported pain in my left heel, right hip, lower back, all along my breastbone, and along the inside of my hipbone. Now, it’s been quite awhile since I took anatomy, but I’m reasonably certain there’s no joint at the top of my hipbone. He says I am presenting signs of spondyl-something-or-other-enthesitis (He said it fast and I was pretty out of it - the fatigue is bad today). Anyway…he says the MTX won’t help much with that (whatever it is), so I get to stop that one and he has started the process of getting insurance approval for Humira. Part of me is happy about this because Ive been shedding at an alarming rate and I’m rather vain when it comes to my hair. The other part of me is a little nervous about starting a biologic. I read good things about them on this board though, so I’m really hoping I have good results too. I would really like to make it through the day without hobbling or falling asleep at my desk!

I just wanted to check in and introduce myself since I’ve been lurking for a couple months now and feel like I know some of you already. :slight_smile: Now I’m off to do some research!

Hey KitKat,

understandable to be nervous about medications but the disease when unchecked, especially with signs of spondyl-something-or-other-enthesitis is even more worrisome ;). Seriously, though, if you're a candidate for biologics then GREAT! I take Humira and it has been a tremendous aid in getting my disease to behave itself while getting my life back on track.

Like you, the fatigue and stiffness and pain were all a little too much for maintaining a normal life. And face-planting into the keyboard is frowned upon in most places of employment. I'd say embrace the new approach and as soon as that insurance approval comes through go to the doctor for your first dose (don't wait on the pharmacy delivery).

Feel free to share your concerns and anxiety here. We've all thought it/feared it before!

KitKat, it took you so long to get a diagnosis, and now you have a rheumatologist who is cutting to the chase without being prompted or pestered. SCORE! Of course you're nervous: most of us were. (Except for me. By the time I was offered a biologic I was so scared of what PsA might be doing to me*, and I'd been so frustrated at being dismissed and ignored for so long that I broke down and wept in sheer relief.)

There is no guarantee that the biologic will work, but when they do (and they "do" more often than the conventional DMARDs "do") they work incredibly well. These are high-tech, highly-targeted drugs, so side-effects (other than a site reaction) are rare. The biggest downside of the biologics is their cost.

In my opinion, what you really need to fear is the damage that PsA can potentially do to you. Hence our motto, "Fear the disease, not the drugs."

*and, sadly, my fears were entirely justified

Hi, There are ligaments that attach muscles to the top of the hip, and even on the pelvic rim...I get pain there too as well as all along the breastbone - where there is a surprising amount of connective tissue that these diseases can affect. Spondlyoarthritis, or spondyloarthropathy - is a name for a group of seronegative diseases - PsA being one of them - that affect the spine (particularly the SI Joints and the facet joints of the spine), and often present with enthesitis - or pain where tendons and ligaments meet the bone. Ankolyzing spondylitis is another one. I just started getting spinal and rib pain this year - and it looks like my diagnosis is likely to change from PsA to Ankolyzing spondylitis, or maybe I have both (not that unusual). The protocol for those with spinal involvement is to go straight to biologics once NSAIDS fail to control things. Good luck and welcome. I am new here too, and have found the feedback from people here very helpful.

Thanks for the responses and encouragement! After reading some of the posts on here, I’m feeling very lucky that my rheumy is willing to move to a biologic so quickly. I really lucked out with this doctor - he’s been great. I’ve also been really fortunate that my boss is willing to work with me and let’s me work from home when mm the 40 minute drive to work is too much. I could probably nap at work if I needed to, but I snore. :slight_smile:

I look forward to continuing to learn from everyone on here and hopefully can provide some support and humor in return.

janeatiu said:

Hey KitKat,

understandable to be nervous about medications but the disease when unchecked, especially with signs of spondyl-something-or-other-enthesitis is even more worrisome ;). Seriously, though, if you're a candidate for biologics then GREAT! I take Humira and it has been a tremendous aid in getting my disease to behave itself while getting my life back on track.

Like you, the fatigue and stiffness and pain were all a little too much for maintaining a normal life. And face-planting into the keyboard is frowned upon in most places of employment. I'd say embrace the new approach and as soon as that insurance approval comes through go to the doctor for your first dose (don't wait on the pharmacy delivery).

Feel free to share your concerns and anxiety here. We've all thought it/feared it before!