Ouch

Hi All

I seen my rhematolist today had steroid injection in my knuckle joint has anyone else had this and how long did it take to get some pain relieve?.

Staying on mtx, also humira till April then maybe try enbril if humira not helping.

Hi Ouch,

I've never had a shot in my knuckles, but last Friday I had the fluid swelling in my knee aspirated and then I had a steroid shot in my knee. My doctor was trying to get me to lie back. Yeah right!! I have to be able to see everything that's happening! It's much better for me that way. Anyhoo, so I had the shot. I was still sore and swollen that day, but the next day was much better and the day after much better and so on! Yesterday at lunch I walked a 1/2 mile and then last night at my son's football practice I walked another 1/2 mile. I haven't walked like that in eons!! I'm a cheerleader for steroid shots now!! :-) So, based on my one little experience, I think you should be feeling better a couple days later for sure. Are you seeing any difference yet?

I've had steroid shots in other places a few times, and after a few days it will make a huge difference.

Unfortunately you can't do them all the time, I think the recommendation is no more than 2-3 / yrs?

Hi Marietta,

Are you saying we should get no more than two or three shots per year??? Wow! That doesn't sound like very much at all. How long will this good feeling of mobility last then?? I sure wish we could have more or that there will be a new, less threatening type of steroid made available with less harsh side effects!

Marietta said:

I've had steroid shots in other places a few times, and after a few days it will make a huge difference.

Unfortunately you can't do them all the time, I think the recommendation is no more than 2-3 / yrs?

I had a steroid injection in my Achilles’ tendon. Injection worse than childbirth. On the plus side started having pain relief in 24 hours and completely pain free after 48 hours.

Thank you both for yr reply, i have had injections in back side before but never straight into the joint, i hope yr right i will feel releive soon. Thanx again.

Thank you Sherry, at the moment my joint has swelled worse.H adinjection this morning so hopfully better by tomorrow fingers x. Good luck to you too.
Sherry said:

Hi Ouch,

I've never had a shot in my knuckles, but last Friday I had the fluid swelling in my knee aspirated and then I had a steroid shot in my knee. My doctor was trying to get me to lie back. Yeah right!! I have to be able to see everything that's happening! It's much better for me that way. Anyhoo, so I had the shot. I was still sore and swollen that day, but the next day was much better and the day after much better and so on! Yesterday at lunch I walked a 1/2 mile and then last night at my son's football practice I walked another 1/2 mile. I haven't walked like that in eons!! I'm a cheerleader for steroid shots now!! :-) So, based on my one little experience, I think you should be feeling better a couple days later for sure. Are you seeing any difference yet?

I have had my knuckles injected a few times. I found they hurt worse for about 24-48 hours then start to feel better. For me they lasted 4-6 weeks. But everyone is different. I found I was having so many places injected that what I really needed to look at controlling the disease better. I also found to never have both hands injected at the same time. It would make doing anything near impossible and I won't even discuss how to wipe after using the bathroom.......!

Ouchie! I know those hurt, especially in the hands and feet. I hope you get some good relief from the steroids. They are really tender for the next few days and ice can really help more than you would think. Apply it for no more than 20 minutes an hour while you’re awake. Maybe it will relieve some of the tenderness for you.

Thank you michael it is my right knuckle & im right handed so i lnow what you mean, woke a dew times during the night with pain, hope it starts feeling better today. I will also try ice today Scarycat. X

Sorry grumpycat i put scarycat, blame the pain not thinking straight. Xx