Ouch! Where did that come from?!

Well I have been on Humira for a couple of months now and have been doing better. Then I got out of bed Sunday morning and immediately felt pain under my left foot. Can barely put my weight on it. Feels like I’m stepping on a rock in my shoe. The pain feels like it is between my heel and mid foot, more to the left side of the left foot. Then, this morning I was blessed with a nasty pain on my right foot, near my small toe. I also suspect that I may have psoriasis on the bottom of my feet, as they itch nonstop. Anyone else have foot pain while on Humira or other meds?

1 Like

Foot pain is a regular problem for me. I’ve been on Enbrel for 7 years (I think). There are definitely mornings when I get out of bed, and one of my feet is killing me. It usually dissipates over the course of the next few hours, and may or may not happen again the next morning.

My general rule of thumb is that I will go to the doctor for a new pain if it is bad, and it persists. So I’ll generally ride out a pain for a few days, even if it’s severe. I’ll treat with NSAIDs, and see what happens. That said, I will admit that I had multiple broken bones in my feet this last year. One of them I walked on for about 4 months before I finally got x-rays, and I’m now recovering from surgery for a non-union fracture. So, I’m not sure that my advice is necessarily the best lol.

3 Likes

I have pains that come and go since starting meds. It’s the ‘go’ bit that I like. As Stoney says, give it a few days maybe? And if it does go, watch out for a return. I hate making notes about my PsA but I try to because I find that doctors sometimes say annoying things like ‘has this happened before and if so, when?’

1 Like

Ok thanks to y’all for the replies. I’m treating with the NSAIDS and it helps me to walk. I’ll add it to my growing list of issues lol and will mention it on my next visit to the doctor if it persists.

2 Likes

Nice thing is that you’ve been doing better generally - sounds like quite a quick result from Humira.

1 Like

A really good way to help relieve this pain is to freeze a small bottle of water. Then take it out of the freezer, put on some socks, sit down and roll the bottom of your foot/feet over the frozen bottle of water.

2 Likes

Ah yes, foot pain. @Timothy88, I think everyone on here could tell you all about foot pain. I’m a few weeks away from going on Humira. Perhaps you haven’t been taking it long enough to have its peak performance in your body and your foot pain will clear up. As time goes on, you will likely discover the mystery and surprises with PsA. Some very problematic issues that have almost cleared up only to come back with much hurt…and then fade out to move to the other side. I feel like some little nasty thing is running around all the rooms of my body and disturbing things. Also, I find Nsaids hugely helpful for about 10-14 days…then I have to go off of them cuz they just aren’t helping. Off for a week and then back on and quite helpful. The dr. says I should just stay on all the time but taking maximum doses does scare me…apparently we need our liver and kidneys. Perhaps PsA flares happen in spite of dmards, nsaids or biologics?
Have you had any bad side effects from Humira? Oh yea…cowboy boots don’t help foot pain!

1 Like

No bad side effects at all. I’ve noticed small red spots with a white halo down on my ankles but they appear and then disappear within a few hours. My foot pain disappeared this morning so I’m walking normal again. I’m suspecting my alcohol consumption had something to do with the pain; I’ve read alcohol can cause a flare. So I’ve stopped the alcohol, just waiting to see what’s next!

1 Like

I’ll have to try that next time. The pain was gone when I got up this morning, it’s strange how it came on suddenly and left suddenly. Me eye inflammation is much better now.

1 Like

Given the nature of our disease which is all about a rampant completely insane immune system charging about our bodies needlessly and willfully inflaming things, it no wonder things are painful in the extreme one day and not at all the next. It took me simply ages to get my head around that bit. But in a way I was lucky PsA hit me all of a sudden rather than crept up over years. The sheer stark contrast of being fine one day and felled the next determinedly taught me lots.

2 Likes

Depending on the amount of course, I don’t notice a direct correlation. Why would PsA provide a clear link to anything? It is such a slippery disease that cause and effect, for good or ill, are very hard to determine. Having said that, the one clear connection for me as for so many others has been that between the meds and improvement. Particularly noticeable with the biologics.

I think it’s just a case of the better our overall health - including booze control - the better we tend to do.

It must be really nice to see that foot pain go so quickly. Looks like you’re doing really well :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t notice that that much. But certainly pain levels increase when I eat too much sugary things, like sugary desserts or what you guys call ‘candy’ and we call ‘sweets’. I steer clear of them. Always.

1 Like

It could be plantar fascitis which gives pain under the arch of the foot. Very Painful especially the first step! it is common with PSA.

1 Like

I get terrible foot pain. Im currently on Remicade, but have been on Humira in the past. I hope you can find something that helps. So far for me I just have to wait it out.

1 Like

Have very bad pain on the arch of my right foot, and when I look at it it seems a different shape than the left one. I tend to be’ rather clumsy and often trap my toes in corners of boxes on the floor, or chair legs, and probably break my toes repeatedly, as have done in the past. When I get the pain I try to lie down and sleep it off, and fasting for 2 or 3 days takes away the pain and inflammation,at least as far as symptoms go. I will have an x ray of my feet to show the rheumy mid september, but in the mean time these two techniques in addition to mxt and Cosentyx seem to be bridging the gap. As Sybil also said, being at one’s best possible overall health helps situation, and having less weight on the bones and on the belly are helpful to contrast psa, am now about proper Bmi. Hoping that your biologic will gradually help you more and more as biologics have done for most of us,

1 Like

Pre-existing feet issues don’t help. I have a long list of 'em - flat feet (though arch looks high till I put my weight on them), pronation, bunions etc. I’m sort of proud of my feet - despite these things and PsA erosions they still work most of the time. Doctors look at them in horror while I smile gratefully at my bizarre tootsies.

1 Like

It has come back in a milder form but at least I can walk. I’ve cut the alcohol out and am lowering my sugar intake. This PsA is bad enough without the other health issues caused by alcohol and sugars.

1 Like

The Humira has helped a lot, especially with the inflammation in my eyes. But I still have mild pain under my foot as well as itching under both feet. I’m suspecting psoriasis there.

Yes it is painful! I now appreciate the good days when I can walk.