Omega-6 vs Omega-3

Just a tid-bit of information I just learned and HAD to share!!!! I had posted a while back that I was going back to college.. I am in Anatomy and Physiology II and just went through Nutrition, Minerals and Vitamins.. Omega-6 Fatty Acids activate proglastidins which inhance the body's inflammatory response. We get those from foods that have corn oil and such. That is the majority of the Western Civilization's diet. However Omega-3 Fatty Acids moderate, and sometimes inhibit the inflammatory response!!! These come from coldwater fish, flaxseed, walnuts etc..

I was very excited!! Hope this helps you guys as well.. (when you know this is how your body truly, scientificly works, this is an eye opener!)

Thanks for sharing this. I was actually aware of this already, but it's always good to have a reminder of this.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/complementary-therapies/diet-and-supplements.aspx

This is the best run down on this from a reputable source. Interesting to note that the fish oil has to be fish body oil, concentrated and not fish liver oil (e.g. cod liver).

All true information BUT what if the mecahanism that makes this stuff work, is broken?

Two examples: My house is heated with wood. I can ahaul all the wood I want into the house and it will not get warm UNLESS it actually gets in the stove. Even if its in the stove, unless there is actually a fire, it STILL won't heat my house. Worse yet what if someone sets the wood on fire and it isn't in the stove? I'm reasonably certain the house will get warm (for a while before it gets REAL WARM.

But the fallacy of supplements is this. My car runs on gas. I can run slow it can run fast. But it isn't going run faster (or slower) if I put more has in the gar or even put a bigger gas tank on it.AND no matter how much gas I put in tank, the car won't run unless I start it. What if I put diesel in my gas.

oh indeed lamb, if it worked properly and worked for everybody then we'd all just be taking fish oil! However, if you look through the arthritis research site (particularly the supplements and diet bit) they're very very good at debunking all the rubbish, unproven stuff and only really advance stuff which has either been proven or has been helpful to some people with the illness. It's actually a very good site.

Very good point!! LOL... I know for me, my Vitamin D is practically non existent, which in turn affects a lot of things that will not work properly~ I did not know that fact, and for me, it might just be the push I need to stay away from fatty foods covered in canola oil!!! and try to eat healthier walnuts, and cold water fish etc.. That can never hurt, and if it helps my PSA, well PRAISE BE TO GOD!! I need all the help I can get!!! :)

I dismissed all of the supplements too for quite a while. A lot like, Believer, i figure I’ll take them and see what happens.I do take several now, but not fish oil. (It makes me smell like fish, eww) I take flax seed oil instead. It’s not as ideal as fish oil, but its better than nothing. Also, there is some good information about the benefits of vitamin D in relation to arthritis symptoms. I looked around and found the supplements that seemed to be most recommended by real physicians. So, I’m trying out D3, Folic Acid, Calcium, a Multi, a B complex, and Glucosamine & chondroitin. We should all probably be taking calcium and D anyway. I think I read somewhere that we are at higher risk for osteoporosis?

Hi Grumpy cat, I believe flaxseed oil is a short chain DHA Omega 3 (which can be converted but only about 14% ever does) and we need the long form

(from the arthritis research site above):

"Omega-3 fatty acids, especially the long-chain forms EPA and DHA which are found in fish oil, are thought to be of most benefit in inflammatory arthritis. It’s possible that the short-chain forms may be converted within the body into the long-chain forms that benefit arthritis But they won’t be the same as those found in omega-3 fatty acids and therefore it’s not yet clear if they are as beneficial.

Omega-3 fatty acids:

• Long-chain forms (DHA, EPA) are found in oily fish, e.g. pilchards, sardines, mackerel, salmon.
  • Short-chain forms (ALA) are found in rapeseed oil, flaxseed oil, hemp oil, walnuts."

Not sure if you want to go around smelling of fish though!!

I had read all of the omega 3 info too, but I just can’t get past smelling like fish. Again, ewww! It is kind of funny. I kept wondering why everything had a fishy odor, for about a week. Then, I realized it was me! Oh, no!

That is just 2 funny.. I never thought about smelling like fish! LOL.. My brother-in-law and sister are opening a Nutrishop and they have Omega-3 capsules you can take.. I'll have them do some research on them before I take anything.. but if I don't smell like fish, I'll let you know! LOL

GrumpyCat said:

I had read all of the omega 3 info too, but I just can't get past smelling like fish. Again, ewww! It is kind of funny. I kept wondering why everything had a fishy odor, for about a week. Then, I realized it was me! Oh, no!

I found a new one today that is a gummy vitamin. It has fish, flax and has concentrated DHA and APA in it. I’m going to try it because my flax seed oil capsule is the size of a Robin’s egg! Needless to say, I have a hard time getting it to go down.

I have been fighting the fish oil for a while..... I was certain a well timed fishy belch in my wifes direction would get me off the hook...... She came home from costco with an enteric concentrate. Supposedly no no belch no taste. THEN I saw the price, guess I can burp fish oil..........

I wonder if anyone else has become such a pill wuss? I bought calcium, multi, CO-Q-10, Omega 3, and melatonin all in gummy form. It seems that the more pills I have to swallow, the harder it is to get them down.

Lamb, fish burps are so gross! Burping is bad enough (because the fish oil makes one burp so much more than is normal!)…adding a noxious odor to the mix is just going overboard. Give Mrs. Lamb a break and take the enteric coated fish oil. Or wear an air freshener as a necklace. Your choice. :wink:

The air fresheners in my back pockets are insufficient????????????????????............

So much methane…so few cans of febreeze!

ha ha ha, you lot are so funny! I HOPE I don't smell like a fish. Not entirely sure my friends would tell me ...

you guys crack me up!!!

So you must be thinkig about finals?

Another good source of omega 3's is chia seeds.

Not yet.. Just a lecture exam.. The Comp is in a couple of weeks.. So far, I have a 98% in Lab and 93% in Lecture without bonus points!! super excited!!!

tntlamb said:

So you must be thinkig about finals?