Obesity and PsA

So I have been doing a lot of PsA research on my own and noticed that a lot of the case studies that doctors use for PsA, the patients are mostly on the "large" or obsessed side.

So I wanted to ask all on this site that are feel comfortable with sharing, if you were on the "large" or obsessed side when your PsA started to show symptoms and effect your quality of life?

For myself I have always been overweight since I was 7 and from a health standpoint I "tried" to eat "healthy" as best I could but fast food and junk food would always sing my name. My current BMI number is somewhere around 37-40.

The reason for this post is I want to know if PsA is a disease that targets overweight people more or if it is non discriminatory and effects both overweight and normal weight people equally?

Thanks,

Mike

I've been overweight most of my life. Even when I was at a healthy weight, I had PsA issues. I actually dropped out of college my (first) freshman year (long story) because my knee collapsed and my back went out, and I was at my healthiest weight then.

That said, I'm sure the weight adds to the problems. I'm obese now, working on losing weight, but struggling, even with the help of a nutritionist and doctor to lose weight. With all my combined autoimmune issues (hypothyroid, autoimmune hepatitis, simple fatty liver), being on prednisone, and my gut still healing after a celiac diagnosis, it's been a rollercoaster trying to lose weight. I seem to lose well the more active I am, but with foot issues and damage already done after years of non-diagnosis, exercise is a challenge.

I am not overweight, but I'm pretty much an anomaly when it comes to most stuff. I'm hypothyroid and have recently been DX'd with pernicous anemia too. All my issues have taken Dr's quite awhile to figure out as I'm not a "Glaring" by the books or labs with any of these issues.

Even though I do have pain, I do make it a point to still run.

Maladaptive behavior frequently comes at times of stress. Sometimes I hurt so bad I don’t eat, and when I don’t I eat more. Not an excuse, just the way it is.

My bmi is 22 and has been for a while. It was around 25 when I was diagnosed and in the years before, and then I got my diet more squared away and it’s better. I think it is really difficult to answer this question as more and more of the population is obese to morbidly obese, more people will be obese with PsA.

I don’t eat when I hurt either. It just zaps my appetite. It takes a few days to get back into my good habits once I’ve had a flare. Sometimes it just hurts too much to make food. My mom has started helping me out and will come feed me when I am bad…well, she goes to the store to get foods that are high nutrient and quick!

Ah, I hear Lamb clearing his throat and imagine him assuming a professorial posture. LOL I’m voerweight too, as are a lot of PsA sufferers. I’m not sure it’s maladaptive behaviour, or a response to pain, though. There was a study done of people with PsA and people with RA, very similar diseases in terms of physical impact. They found that, on the whole, the PsA sufferers had higher BMIs. I’ve read other things suggesting that PsA has some kind of an impact on metabolism. Chicken? Egg? Correlation? Causation? Who knows.

I was on the underweight / average end of things until 10 years ago when I flip-flopped suddenly into the overweight category within a 6 month period. It seemed to be a combination of uncontrolled disease, inability to exercise, loss of an ovary (though dr. insists this had nothing to do with it), and less GI issues meaning more food stayed in. I would say my disease has been worse during the last 10 yrs, but PsA is also progressive, so it might be unrelated to the newly fat me. My disease is about the same as when I was dx. as a kid, when I was a tiny little thing, but worse than ages 20-30 was. It's a complex issue.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/EULAR/39874

Lipids linked to active PSA article.

In my opinion being overweight never does anyone any good, so try to drop extra pounds if possible. Interesting reading I’ve done recently includes Gary Taubes "why we get fat and what to do about it"
I’m eating low carb at my Gastroenterologist’s suggestion. Have lost over 35 lbs since July. I have lost weight with low fat calorie restricted diets in the past (weight watchers) but my metabolism would always adapt and slow down, then weight loss would stop. Low carb has transformed my metabolism and eliminated cravings. Check with your doctor before you try anything :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention my weight loss occurred without ANY exercise beyond my daily, rather sedentary, usual activities.

Cheryl (CLR) said:I was NOT obese until COULDN’T exercise and live like I used too! I was very active before the pain got in the way, I feel sad about that change and that docs say that is the cause of PsA. Correlation or causation?

----- Oh, can I ever relate, girl! But I think the PsA caused me to gain weight. :frowning: I’m not really that heavy (or so I tell myself as I suck it in) but when it hurt too much to walk or exercise I gained. I gained about fifteen pounds in a couple of years. I would be interested to know the answer to this. I will ask my dr next time I see him. He is very knowledgable ab current research. What a thoughtful question. I am doing weight watchers now, btw!! Hopefully I will slim back down. The activity points are motivating and you can count things like walking as little as ten minutes. I can manage that for an extra point!! :slight_smile:

I really like this kind of sharing!

No, I wasn't overweight. I was actually highly active and had no big health issues other then low blood pressure (told due to being active) , trouble with salt intake, low iron.

Now...I'm overweight!

Unfortunately due to a huge decrease in activity and a body type that needs to keep active...I'm packing on the pounds, even with a fairly clean diet. It's actually really odd because half the time I can't eat due to nausea. I wonder if it could be the Sulfasalazine bloating and stomach issues? Regardless, I'm packing on the pounds :-(

I have lost weight without trying. Before this condition reared its head back in May time, I ate quite healthy and exercised regularly, but the pounds would creep on steadily if I was complacent. Now I comfort eat( tell myself I'm lining my stomach for the meds), do no exercise and have been on prednisolone around 5 months, yet I'm a stone lighter, and holding steady at this weight. I just assumed that it was my over active immune system burning up the calories.

t present, I am fighting the bulge. I have been on steroids for 2 weeks now and they make me RAVENOUS. There is never enough food and I have weird cravings. This is the only time that I have a really hard time with my diet, but on the bright side I feel amazing so I have been able to exercise, and do lots of things around the house. I am catching up on everything while the steroid euphoria is in full effect. Must take advantage! It's funny. My weight has not really changed (I fluctuate by 2-3 pounds like everyone), but I feel chubby. I must be re-distributing water weight!

I wouldn’t mind being skinny and sallow instead of pudgy and pasty…

I feel "funny" when I take steroids. There is something not quite right that I can't put my finger on or stick a name to. Now that you mention it, I do feel weaker. Not like a sickly weakness, but just not as strong. It's so odd. I am having better luck with this round and I'm not having the crazy mood swings, and the insomnia is pretty mild. The appetite thing is new... I had not experienced this before when taking steroids. I am doing my best to control it, so that I don't pork up too much. It seems like it takes a while for my body to go back to normal after discontinuing so any weight I gain, I fear will linger.

Have you lost weight since diagnosis? What do you think is to blame if you don't mind answering?

Laura E D said:

Feeling the odd one out...skinny, sallow and sickly

When I take steroids my muscles tend to turn into flab and have to subsequently work hard to regain strength and stability

My BMI was a healthy 23 at onset of PsA, and I was active and enjoyed the outdoors. I put on about 4 pounds in the first twelve months due to a combination of steroids and inactivity due to pain and fatigue. Took it off again during the painful 4 month pred taper, then dropped another 10 pounds through GI issues, and after treatment of those have stabilized back at a BMI of 22.

The research seems clear that there is a correlation, on a very broad scale, between obesity, metabolic disorder, and PsA, but most docs (and even our friendly site acupuncturist) will tell us there are a number of sub-types of PsA, and I suspect until that’s unraveled the causation relationship is going to elude us.

Yes, I think that must have been the article I read too, Sybil. Thinking about the patients at the clinic, I’m guessing most of those would be rheumatoid. Rheumatoids tend to have a lower BMI than PsAers, if I remember correctly.

“The fact that two conditions often appear together – psoriasis and obesity – does not, by itself, prove that one causes the other.”

http://www.psoriasis-cure-now.org/weight-obesity-psoriasis-psoriatic-arthritis/

Does not sleeping well, to get REM sleep, affect your weight?

Okay, I think I’m going to get back on weight watchers