Newly diagnosed and scared at the speed of progression!

Hi all. New to this so a quick question for now. I didn't know anything about PsA until a month ago when the bombshell diagnosis came out of the blue. I have the tiniest patch of psoriasis on the my knee so PsA was never of my list of "might happen"s. I've been getting some pains in my hand joints for a few months but then 2 months ago noticed the top joint on one of my fingers was bending. I'm now experiencing pain in all of my hand joints (and one toe) along with tendonitis in my feet. More worryingly 3 more fingers are noticeably deforming. Is this speed of progression usual? Having seen a Rheum privately to start I'm now waiting to see an NHS Rheum and have no idea how long I'll wait. For now I have naproxen and cocodomal to take but worry that they are purely symptom relief and not stopping the progress of the deformity. Any thoughts? Sorry, wasn't such a quick question was it!!

Welcome to the group! The speed of progression will vary from one person to the next. The naproxen is an anti-inflammatory, but it sounds like you are a candidate for aggressive treatment. If you can manage financially to go back to the private rheumy I would encourage this until you can see the NHS one. The other option might be to see your GP, and spell out your exact concerns. Keep a good record of what is going on, as the more information you can provide the better.

Thanks Stoney. No more money in the pot and insurers pull the plug anyway once you have a chronic diagnosis. Seeing GP on Tueday with a long list of questions but guessing they'll defer to the Rheum for any further treatment.

Hi there. Stoney is spot on about the speed of progression being variable. In some people, symptoms precede permanent damage by years. In others, damage can happen in a matter of weeks or months. I would be very up front with your GP about your concern about the rapid changes you think you are seeing, and ask him/her to do what s/he can to expedite your referral. I might even be tempted to put that in writing to strengthen your case.

To get the most out of your GP visit, and make a case for urgent treatment effectively, you should educate yourself as quickly as possible (like before Tuesday!) about the basics of this disease. (I can almost guarantee that your GP knows next to nothing about PsA. Sad but true.) In the "Book Reviews" section (above) I recommend a wonderful book that many here have found very helpful. The Kindle version is a bargain, and you could be reading it later today. If you don't have a Kindle, it's easy to download software so that you can read it on your PC.

Meanwhile, please feel free to ask as many questions as you like, and try using the "Search" function at the very top of this page.

Seenie

Thank you seenie. I've just downloaded the book and packing myself off to bed to start reading it.

Hey SouthernSoftie! Welcome and well done–you’ve come to the right place. On the front page of this site there’s a video from a rheumatologist at London Free who talks about the NHS requirements to be prescribed aggressive biologic (read expensive and rationed) treatment. You must prove your disease is very active and causing damage. People on this site keep pain logs, take photos of their joints (think before/after), and I’ve even read about people who measure the diameter of their joints to prove inflammation (which is sometimes hard to detect via bloodwork and/or X-ray). So get creative and get vocal. You will need to be your own best advocate to get fast and helpful treatment. Good luck and keep us all posted!

Hi SouthernSoftie and Welcome :)

I know of your worries myself. I also have PsA in my hands and feet. I agree with Stoney as many will, aggressive treatment i is it. I wish I had more aggressive treatment myself but it went undiagnosed. I'd hate to have you go through what I am.

I was diagnosed with P in 2005, PsA showed up before that but didn't start to progress until last year. Now it's going full steam ahead. I figure if there's swelling and new pains popping up, then it's progressing.

From what I've seen here, something different seems to work for everyone. Glad you're here.