New to the group

Hi, my name is Jenny and I have lived with psoriatic arthritis since 2003. I have several other immune diseases that I manage, but it is good to hear others are dealing with so many of the same problems.

I also have Menier's disease, and have had Hodgkins Disease twice, which is a cancer of the the immune system.......no Hodgkins for many, many years now, so I don't think about that much. My doctor is of the opinion that all these things are somehow linked, and it make sense to me.

I just take my methotrexate, my Humira, my diurectic and my vitamin D and do the best I can. So many people have it worse than I do. I did start with the biologics early on so there is limited joint damage, but I still have the tendonitis, unbalance, lack of energy, etc....

It seems as if an early diagnosis and biologics have saved me. If your doctor recommends a biologic to you, do not hesitate!

Menieres! I have it too. We’ll have to swap war stories. :wink:

Lucky you! I notice that there are quite a few people with Meniers and psoriatic arthritis, I didn't know that! Anyone have a cure for the noise in the head????

What is Members?

I hate auto correct. Meniers

It's an auto immune disease that effects the inner ear, causing imbalance, vertigo tinitis, deafness, etc. Nothing to do about it, really. Some people have regular bouts of vertigo, which is like drinking too much, with spins and dizziness and vomiting. I think they can give some meds to help with that, but I have only had two really bad times with it, so there is nothing much to do. Just hope you aren't driving when it hits....I was in the grocery store parking lot and fell and couldn't get up till it passed. Scared the heck out of some little ladies. But it passed, so I drove home, threw up, and slept for several hours. uggg.

Hi! I am interested in your experience with Methotextrate.I have read the pamphlet the Dr sent me and honestly, I am very scared of the possible side effects. Also how did you find out about the cancer? It’s weird but sometimes feel I may have that:( I know I shouldn’t jump to conclusions but when my Dr recommended Methotextrate just got an ill feeling! Anyways I also have that imbalance about a year ago I started falling and thought I had an ear infection each time lol… One time I fell twice in one day but I brushed it off. My vitamin D was so low 8 when I first got tested and now after a month I feel better:)I have terrible heel/ankle pain and plantar fasciitis:( what are biologics? I am so new to this I first got tests done on 11/4/2013! So happy to read you feel you started treatment early:)

Hi there! First questions first I guess. I have no problem at all with methotrexate. I take the folic acid along with it, and I take 10 pills one night a week. I have no side effects. I told my oncologist that I was taking it, and his only question was, for how long? I told him it would probably be forever, and he really didn't have a problem with it. The dosage for arthritis is so much smaller than anything taken as chemo, it hardly counts.

My Hodgkins was first found in1981 (a lifetime ago) from some lumps near my collar bone. No pain, no nothing, just the lumps, that were subsequently biopsied and found to be Hodgkins. I had a surgery to take a liver biopsy and splenectomy, then I did 9 months of chemo therapy, which I responded to very well, and was done with it. I don't think they do that staging surgery anymore, it was major belly surgery. Then twelve years later I found lumps on the other side of my chest, same spot, but opposite side. I saw the same oncologist, he did some research, and they decided it was new disease, just again....so this time I had a lot of radiation, and when I recovered from that, another 9 months of chemo. Again, responding well to everything. (I got really sick from the radiation, but not at all from the chemo that time, new meds!) But now that has been probably 15 years ago, and I have yearly check ups is all. Then in 2003 or so I found out I had psoriatic arthritis, and went through all the meds you must try before the insurance will pay for the biologics (in my case Enbrel to start) After several years the Enbrel didn't do the job, so I switched to Humira. Biologics are usually injectable medicines that are artificially created that really are the thing for psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, Crones disease, ABS, the list goes on and on of all the things they are finding that it helps. They must tell you the side effects, one of which is "possible lymphoma type cancers" Hodgkins is cancer of the lymph system. I asked my oncologist if I should heed that warning and not take that medicine, and he told me to please, go ahead and take it! The chances of getting a cancer from it are so small, and the benefits of taking it are so big, it was no question to him, so why should it be for me? I feel like those meds are the best thing that ever happened, so I take it willingly. My dad had psoriatic arthritis before they had any of those meds except methotrexate, and I saw him suffer horribly, so I take them happily. I doubt if they even knew you had to take folic acid with the methotrexate at that time. I know not everyone has had good luck with those medicines, but they have kept me out of a wheelchair, away from joint replacements, kept me from going blind with iritis, and on and on. I'm all for it, it you haven't noticed.....I didn't have any tests done for the arthritis, the family history and symptoms were enough. I don't think the unbalances and the falling have anything to do with methotrexate, but the disease has made me weak. The Menier's disease in the ears doesn't help either. Not too long ago I had labrynthitis and some doctors thought I was having a stroke, so I had a full stroke work up in the hospital, and there is nothing wrong with my brain that they can see with an MRI. l like to say that there is nothing in there..........I have had trouble with tendenitis, once in my Achilles heel and now in the shoulders. It hurts.

Oh my I've gone on too long, huh? Sorry. Do please ask questions, though!

Thank you so much for the fast response and yes I do have so many questions as I do have pain in my clavicle area and close to my armpit that troubles me! I will definitely consider Methotextrate then because I had 20/20 vision 2 yrs ago and now my eyesight is so bad and I get swelling on my eyelids. I will be having surgery in Jan of next year so my Dr says if I want to take it, best time would be 3 weeks after surgery. Now my ears feel weird too:( mostly my right ear it hurts to the touch inside and outside towards the back, my hearing is affected as well.

Methotrexate is not a biologic, it is an older medicine used for many things,but it helps with psoratic arthritis. One of the things I had was rocacea on my eyelids, among other places,. The eye doctor thought it was just old eyes, but where the iritis was coming from made her crazy. It finally came out that I had psoriasis, so she asked me about back aches, and put the whole mess together and sent me to a rhuematologist, since he was the one who could prescrbe for the arthritis. Aparenly, iritis happens a lot with psoriasis, and the arthritis version of it. When I finally got on a regimen with Enbrel,the eyes cleared up too, just an added bonus. Apparently, the chemotherapy for Hodgkins also does a number on the psoriasis, which stayed away for years.

Your symptoms do not sound much like Hodgkins or Menier's, but I am not a doctor. I try not to dwell too much on all my symptoms since it can make them worse, and I have a vivid imagination, so I can imagine the worst very easily. Good luck to you.

Hey jennyb...

I am pleased to see you jumped in with both feet and got your self going on a most interesting thread. As I have eye issues that popped up unreasonably fast as well, I am always interested to read what everyone is saying about their personal experiences. A person learns more management questions reading threads than all of the literature combined. I was diagnosed based in part on my hereditary factor when taken into consideration with my JA as well as, all of the usual tests, so it fascinates me to read of other people who has a shared issue.

Keep your vivid imagination focused on the good stuff ... look on the bright side only five and half months until Bloomsday... and that means four(?) more minutes of sunshine everyday from now till JUNE :)

PS.. I don't think there is a " talk too much filter" or I would be consistently blocked (hysterical laughing)Glad your here!

Thanks for the encouraging words, crazylady! I might be new to this site but I'm not new to having diseases! A positive outlook is nearly everything in this business. One think I liked about what I saw on this website is that not everyone just reels off what is wrong with them...they become their disease, and although I am incapacitated, I refuse to be that person. Most of the time, anyway.

Thanks!

Good deal!!! I hate playing pity party and it is very nice to step out of that box. I still have way to much on my to do list to discombobelated as well as incapacitated...

Welcome!

Have you had a doc look at your ears yet? Could be something as simple as an ear infection, especially as your hearing is being affected? Though not as common in adults, they can happen, and this is the right season for it to be sure.

As far as worrying about cancer, one thing I have noticed is that many docs do a very thorough lab screening of their patients with these odd diseases like ours. My symptoms haven't been exactly typical, so I have wondered in the back of my mind if there might be something that we were missing, like a bone cancer. I asked my doc the last time I was in, and found that not only had I been checked for this once but twice, and had negative results. I guess what I am saying, is not to worry about things until there is a reason to worry about them. This disease is frightening enough without letting our imaginations get the best of us. A good, thorough exam by a doctor can set your mind at ease immensely. Another good rule of thumb, is to not read too much into small symptoms. We, in general, tend to be hypersensitive to what is happening with our bodies, and it can be maddening if you let it. Sometimes, people just have an odd ache or pain that resolves on its own in a few days. Of course, if it worries you, then follow up with the doctor. Peace of mind is priceless.

Ygarcia209 said:

Thank you so much for the fast response and yes I do have so many questions as I do have pain in my clavicle area and close to my armpit that troubles me! I will definitely consider Methotextrate then because I had 20/20 vision 2 yrs ago and now my eyesight is so bad and I get swelling on my eyelids. I will be having surgery in Jan of next year so my Dr says if I want to take it, best time would be 3 weeks after surgery. Now my ears feel weird too:( mostly my right ear it hurts to the touch inside and outside towards the back, my hearing is affected as well.

Welcome, Jenny! I hope you enjoy it here and look forward to many discussions. :-)

Grumpy cat: I do tend to read too much in to things:( thanks for the advice:) I do have an awesome Rheumy like you guys say lol… And I have had many tests done so Im sure Im covered for now but these crazy thoughts can run me out of my mind! I have days were I am so tired off nothing really, very slow steps and my hand grip weak:( My ears have been checked but nothing thorough I just thought that because my whole body going downhill maybe my ears were too! There may be no connection! Thanks again for the support, I knew I was in the right place:)

It gets better. All of the worry, and frustration -well, it doesn't go away, but you do get better at coping with it. It just takes time and practice.

Here's a trick that I use when I have a lot of worries: I write them down. I have a journal and I fill it with all of my concerns. For the most part, they are things that I can do absolutely nothing about. So, I write them down to get them out and express them, and then I promise myself that I will let them go once I am done. When I fill the book, my husband and I take it out to the grill and set it on fire. All of my worries, quite literally, go up in smoke. I don't want to allow myself to revisit them or dig out old things from the past, so I let them go. For the things that I can actually change, I write them down too. Then I make a plan, and once I have my plan I follow it. I will not let myself worry once I have a plan to resolve the problem. Its a whole lot harder than it sounds, but with practice, it has worked for me. Between my worry book and my husband I am able to share the things that are really bothering me and have learned how to let go.

Ygarcia209 said:

Grumpy cat: I do tend to read too much in to things:( thanks for the advice:) I do have an awesome Rheumy like you guys say lol... And I have had many tests done so Im sure Im covered for now but these crazy thoughts can run me out of my mind! I have days were I am so tired off nothing really, very slow steps and my hand grip weak:( My ears have been checked but nothing thorough I just thought that because my whole body going downhill maybe my ears were too! There may be no connection! Thanks again for the support, I knew I was in the right place:)