New Rhuemy tomorrow, wish I could say I,m hopeful

Hello to all of you fellow sufferers, it,s been a long time since I,ve been active. I have seen a Rhuemy on 2 occasions as I was exhibiting a fiery big toe and foot. Oh my gosh, such pain. I made the mistake of telling him that I thought I had Psa. He quickly informed me that he was the expert! Hmmm. He told me he would see me in 3 months unless I had another flare up. I have all of the classic signs of Psa, the nail pits, neg. ra test and so on. He thinks it is gout, imagine that! Well, I am so flared up on the same foot and toe that I couldn’t,t get to him today. I had made another appt.with another Rhuemy before I saw him the first time becauseof the long wait to see her.

Please say a prayer that this lady will listen to me. My precious husband has made an unbelievable notebook with dates, pictures, x-rays and blood test results for US to take to her. I feel that if I had waited to show that 1st Rhuemy more, that is what he said! He wanted to see More! That I would wind up crippled.

Each of you have been in my thoughts and prayers and thanks to all for the possutive remarks. I’ve been reading this sight for months.

Wish me luck.
golfette

Can't they check for gout by drawing fluid from the joint? That same fluid can tell them if the arthritis is inflammatory or not.

That DR sounds like a a$$.

A lot of people ( me included) start out with a swollen big toe as one of thier first symptoms of Psa. I also had minor Psoriasis under my nails before my toe started to swell. I don't and never have had psoriasis anywhere else.

Combined with the other symptoms you mentioned, Psa seems like a no-brainer!

As far as Gout...it's so easy to test for...when uric acid levels in the blood are too high, the uric acid may form hard crystals in your joints . A simple fluid sample to test for uric acid crystals is the best way to test for gout. Your doctor can also do a blood test to measure the amount of uric acid in your blood.

Also, men are more likely to get gout over women who are premenopausal.

Hopefully you find a good Dr and they push straight for a Biological drug like Enbrel/Humira...

I just wanted to add...

When I was first experiencing pain in my feet the first dr I saw assumed I had gout and put me on Prednisone...

Long story short, The Prednisone stopped the flare but, did nothing for my Psa or P under my nails. A year later I saw a rheumatologist whom instantly put me on Enbrel. Since Psa was not as routinely diagnosed back then, I feel like I was very lucky to find him. I think going on a biological drug should be standard procedure.

Golfette,

Hope you appointment went well today - keep us informed.

Frances

Robert said:

I just wanted to add...

When I was first experiencing pain in my feet the first dr I saw assumed I had gout and put me on Prednisone...

Long story short, The Prednisone stopped the flare but, did nothing for my Psa or P under my nails. A year later I saw a rheumatologist whom instantly put me on Enbrel. Since Psa was not as routinely diagnosed back then, I feel like I was very lucky to find him. I think going on a biological drug should be standard procedure.

Hi Robert. Well, my uric acid levels are normal always have been through checks. You really were lucky to find a Dr that saw the importance of quick treatment to prevent more permanent damage. I went to the appt. with new Doc yesterday, back on prednisone and feeling better. My husband had to roll me into office in a stupid wheelchair and I’ m walking today! Just another delay. She said I could have all these signs and still may not have Psa or I could have Psa and gout or a whole bunch of combinations of arthritis .

I also have Angeo Edema, it is also an auto immune disease. I read where this guy had Some type of autoimmune disease and Ae. Well they put him on Enbrall and it stopped both! So far I can’ t get anybody to even give it a chance!

Thanks again for listening, it means a lot.

Frances said:

Golfette,

Frances

Hey Frances,

The appt. was more of the same. You know, more prednisone. Still trying to figure it out as seems to be the MO of these Docs.

I was rolled in wheelchair because I couldn’t walk because of the pain. Somehow that has burned a vision into my mind that just hurts really bad.

Thank you for your note.

I don’t know how to get rid of all this goble-de-goop following this message. Seems I 'm not getting around on this site any better than I am in my house! Lol.

I hope you are doing well today.

Thanks again, Golfette…hmmmm I think I may need to change that silly name.

Golfette said:

Frances said:

Golfette,

Frances

Hi Golfette, Yes, appointments can be frustrating and disappointing. I hope your rheumy was able to help some. I'm so sorry you in so much pain. I hope you find relief soon.

Golfette said:

Hey Frances,

The appt. was more of the same. You know, more prednisone. Still trying to figure it out as seems to be the MO of these Docs.

I was rolled in wheelchair because I couldn't walk because of the pain. Somehow that has burned a vision into my mind that just hurts really bad.

Thank you for your note.

I don't know how to get rid of all this goble-de-goop following this message. Seems I 'm not getting around on this site any better than I am in my house! Lol.

I hope you are doing well today.

Thanks again, Golfette....hmmmm I think I may need to change that silly name.

Golfette said:

Frances said:

Golfette,

Frances

I went to an orthopedic surgeon with a swollen knee. the surgeon drew of the fluid and sent it to a lab for analysis. From the lab, he concluded that it wasn't gout, there were no uric acid cyrstals. He also sent the fluid to a rheumatologist easily concluded that I have inlammatory arthritis based on the immune cell count in the fluid.

So I was never treated for gout and I went on Enbrel very soon after seeing the rheumatologist.

Maybe you don't have anything big enough to get fluid from, but if you do, maybe an ortho can help you.