New RA drug, anyone hear if they are testing for PsA?

Hello, has anyone heard of tofacinitib? I have “heard” rumblings and read a few articles
on line regarding this new class of drugs. It is a Janus kinase drug which supposedly blocks molecules within the cells that promote inflammation. I think the company developing it is Pfizer. Does anyone know anything about this drug? Also, how long after they try it for RA would they look at it for us? It is a pill ( pills), which would mean no more IV/shots. I enjoy the idea of not getting Meds IV every month.
Just wondering what everyone knows of thinks of this new med possibility. Thanks

Do not know much about it but if you research it online it will give you all the details. It did state in one article that a patient has to have failed at least one bio drug before one can be on it. Worth keeping up with.

Tofacitinib Approval Status beta

• FDA approved: No so be careful

http://seekingalpha.com/article/852131-is-tofacitinib-one-of-pfizer-s-new-cash-cows

Its a DMRD (albeit a different one) the FDA process has come to a screaming halt as Pfizer changed protocols along the way. It will be at least 3 more months until there is a ruling on the acceptability of the studies. There were difficulties in the Psoriasis testing I don't know what they were. The studies regarding Psoriatic arthritis are scheduled to continue until 2015

FWIW, approval is at least 18 months away for ANY use in Canada (and they are usually a head of us......)

Thank you all for the updates. I am always so grateful for the wonderful discussions and advice. Being a part of this support group makes me feel less isolated and fearful. So glad I joined right after being diagnosed in June. Michelle

Here is the National Psoriasis Foundation's drug pipeline:

https://www.psoriasis.org/research/drugs-in-development/pipeline

If you'd like to see a clinical trial,

then go here and put in the drug you're interested in:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/

and it will bring up the clinical trials.

I don't know much about the new oral drugs. As Enbrel works for me, I'm sticking with it. If Enbrel didn't work for me nor did any of the others on the market, I would be trying to get into a clinical trial. To me, relief from PsA is worth moderate risk.

What did pfizer do? How do you find this stuff?

tntlamb said:

Its a DMRD (albeit a different one) the FDA process has come to a screaming halt as Pfizer changed protocols along the way. It will be at least 3 more months until there is a ruling on the acceptability of the studies. There were difficulties in the Psoriasis testing I don't know what they were. The studies regarding Psoriatic arthritis are scheduled to continue until 2015

FWIW, approval is at least 18 months away for ANY use in Canada (and they are usually a head of us......)

In my real life we set up statistical models (well my grad students do) and of course we do everythin possible to attract as much grant money as possible. Much of our work is for the NIH which has a major lab near here. We are currently managing the data for a Chrons trial. So I of course have a broad interest in the science of it all. Since being Dxd I of course have developed a lot of interest in our disease and literally read thousands of pages a month. I have a number of ros feeds etc to keep me posted and of course frequent a lot of sites. Folks would be amazed at the conections, education, and professionals with this disease that are involved on various boards (including this one) I supect as any professor I spezk with more authority than I intend. But anyway heres one of my favorite sites:
http://medcitynews.com/2012/08/fda-extends-review-for-pfizer-ra-drug-by-three-months/

I'm tracking (for my own info) a number of drugs.

Put your interests into an RS feed, pages are shorter saves a lot of google time. Even this site will link into your service. Yeah I am bit obsessive about reading, I started when I was pretty young, but still find time for my hobbies.; But what 150 - 200 pages an hour 30 days a month. Really isnt much when you think about it. course I don't drive myself anymore so its seems a shame to waste the commute time....

Whos fiction do you like?

I have an app (i can't think of the name I'll find it) that reviews and lists the short term free books on Amazon. There is a nice selection of known and new authors. I gotta confess to the spy/political thrillers. Did the angels and demons tour last time we were in Rome though....

I think it will be years until i get through all the down loads.

Yeah, hows the work thing coming? Did you make a decision yet? Isn't your LOA almost done?? Can you extend it with FMLA???

lastshooter said:

........ all the time in the world to read....

Unless everything goes south in the election, we still have extended unemployment (which will be charged to them)...... If they are being real jerks "fail" until they fire you..... (don't quit) You go to the top of Voc rehab list, you are obviously educated so a couple years of school retraining could be a blast......

Generally it takes 50 employees to get FLMA but it can vary by state........

I can not imagine they don't have a disability umbrella.... The reserves have to exist somewhere. I assume you have counsel?? 60% of Salary isn't bad..... you will be about even. The reason I mention counsel is what i have seen happen before is these companies have a bad habit when dealing with insurance companies of excluding non-cash compensation on a seperation agreement. Suddenly you wake up with a cobra settlement....... You need at LEAST 2 years, before you would be eligible for any Medicare...... (and those premiums would be pretty high.) I hate giving the sharks any money, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do......

Making sure you seperation is correctly done isn't "court" ...... Good luck

Ok... here's a harder question....

I went to Calgene's website and looked at their product pipeline. Under "Inflammation and Immunology" is something called "Cellular Therapies". PsA isn't listed there but RA is. What is Calgene working on there?

http://www.celgene.com/pdfs/product_pipeline.pdf