New PsA drug: Certolizumab Pegol

Anyone no anything about this new drug?

Article: http://www.musculoskeletalnetwork.com/rheumatic-diseases/content/article/1145622/2155317

Speedy Improvement in PsA Seen with Certolizumab Pegol

August 26, 2013

Mease PJ, Fleischmann R, Deodhar AA, et al., Effect of certolizumab pegol on signs and symptoms in patients with psoriatic arthritis: 24-week results of a Phase 3 double-blind randomised placebo-controlled study (RAPID-PsA). Ann Rheum Dis. (2013) Aug 13. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2013-203696. [Epub ahead of print]

An ongoing international clinical trial shows that the anti-TNF agent certolizumab pegol (CZP) produces significant improvements in symptoms of psoriatic arthritis (PsA) -- including tender and swollen joints, skin lesions, enthesitis, dactylitis, and nail disease – in as little as a week, and sustained for 24 weeks.

In the placebo-controlled segment of the 158-week RAPID-PsA trial, a randomized, double-blind, phase III study, 60% of CZP-treated patients had improvement in their symptoms as judged by American College of Rheumatology 20% (ACR20) responses at 12 weeks, compared with fewer than one-quarter of placebo patients.

In this segment, 409 patients with active PsA (half of them female, with a mean age of 47) were randomly assigned 1:1:1 to subcutaneous injections of either placebo(saline) or a loading dose of CZP 400 mg for 2 weeks followed by 200 mg CZP every 2 weeks or 400 mg CZP every 4 weeks.

A total of 368 patients (70% of them already taking DMARDs, either methotrexate(Drug information on methotrexate), sulfasalazine(Drug information on sulfasalazine), or leflunomide(Drug information on leflunomide)) completed 24 weeks. Concomitant DMARDs did not affect response to CZP.

Placebo patients not achieving a 10% improvement from baseline in both swollen and tender joints (n=59) at 14 or 16 weeks were re-randomized to CZP treatment.

At 12 weeks, 58% in the CZP 400 mg group and 51.9% in the CZP 200 mg group achieved the primary clinical endpoint of an ACR20 response, compared with 24.3% of placebo recipients.

Interesting! Yet another thing to keep on my radar! I wonder how it differs from the other anti-TNF drugs?

I see my doc on Thursday and I'm bringing the article to discuss - I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks Frances for bringing this to our attention. I had not heard about this yet. Let us know what your doctor says. I will keep it on my radar too. I am on my 4 or 5th biologic as my over enthusiastic immune system seems to get the better of them after a year or so. Thanks.

Ok - this may be new info for my doc, but he's very enthusiastic, so if he doesn't know about it, I'm sure he'll do some research and get back to me. I'll keep you posted Michael.

This is very fascinating! I haven't heard of this one yet. Looks promising. The anti-TNF's are the best thing I've taken in 30 yrs. They don't always work well, or for long, but they are pretty darn awesome for the fatigue, skin, and other stuff. I'm excited to have another one in the pipeline.

I thought you were on this one??? In the US its sold as CIMZIA. I'm really curious as I will be starting it fairly soon (maybe) The ol' enbrel is losing its lustre. I'll ride her until she quits bucking as I plan on living long enough to go through all of 'em.

Marietta said:

This is very fascinating! I haven't heard of this one yet. Looks promising. The anti-TNF's are the best thing I've taken in 30 yrs. They don't always work well, or for long, but they are pretty darn awesome for the fatigue, skin, and other stuff. I'm excited to have another one in the pipeline.

You and me both Lamb. I am on my 4 or 5th. At least live long enough to keep my husband in line.......!

OMG obviously I am having the HUGEST BRAIN FOG DAY EVER. I even just opened my Cimzia shipment this morning and it is the brand name of this medication. And I'm on it. And I read the package. And then posted here. Thanks for catching that lamb!

ps: I also slept fitfully last night, add that to a brain fog day, and I'm surprised I can still type coherently.

tntlamb said:

I thought you were on this one??? In the US its sold as CIMZIA. I'm really curious as I will be starting it fairly soon (maybe) The ol' enbrel is losing its lustre. I'll ride her until she quits bucking as I plan on living long enough to go through all of 'em.

How are you doing with it? (besides the brain fog)

Hahaha :)

Actually, I've been doing pretty well. Progress is slow, but consistent. Morning / evening stiffness: reduced by several hours. Knee and ankle inflammation / pain: decreased 80%. Hand pain / swelling: decreased 70%. On a "good" day my energy is dramatically increased. My rebound from an "overdoing it" day is much quicker. I haven't needed as much sleep.

No side effects at all.

I am taking Arava, 5mg daily, with the Cimzia.

I haven't had the drop-off like I usually do when I get close to the next injection time. I tend to run through meds quickly, and have been impressed that I feel like the Cimzia is still working at the 2 week mark.

So let me be the first to send an honorary invitation to Marietta to join the Dim & Daft & Disfigured Ladies of PsA ......though it sounds like you are all ready a member in good standing!

LOL this sounds so much like something I would do!!! LOL

Oh, I think I'm a founding member! LOL!

michael in vermont said:

So let me be the first to send an honorary invitation to Marietta to join the Dim & Daft & Disfigured Ladies of PsA ......though it sounds like you are all ready a member in good standing!

LOL this sounds so much like something I would do!!! LOL

I think indeed you might be <3

I started on CZP after Enbrel (worked for 10 months), Humira (did nothing for me at all), Simponi (no response), Remicaid (was a wonderful drug for around 2 years then stopped working). I've been on CZP for 2 1/2 months now and no results at all. I'm having a bad flare and saw my rheumatologist today. I am now going to start Imuron. I didn't want to do that but my neck has been fused, my lower back operated on, the orthopedist wanted to put rods in the back but then said it was too bad to do so. Needless to say, I'm quite depressed today.

I'm so sorry. I know what it's like to run through a lot of medications with no results. This is the first on that's worked well for me in several years. It's really depressing when you realize yet another med is doing nothing :(

Hang in there though, something is always out there to try. Either a new med, or a new combination of medication. I've seen AMAZING progress in the last 30 years in medications for this disease. I'm sure in the next 30 there will be many more options :)

psaforlife said:

Needless to say, I'm quite depressed today.

Oh psaforlife I am indeed sorry. Sounds like you have been through the ringer. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Know you have friends here who will support and encourage you whenever you need it. Or just listen to you rant if that will help. <3

I'm so sorry psaforlife. New arthritis drugs will be coming to market.

psaforlife said:

I started on CZP after Enbrel (worked for 10 months), Humira (did nothing for me at all), Simponi (no response), Remicaid (was a wonderful drug for around 2 years then stopped working). I've been on CZP for 2 1/2 months now and no results at all. I'm having a bad flare and saw my rheumatologist today. I am now going to start Imuron. I didn't want to do that but my neck has been fused, my lower back operated on, the orthopedist wanted to put rods in the back but then said it was too bad to do so. Needless to say, I'm quite depressed today.