New neck pain symptons

I was diagnosed about 6yrs ago with PsA, almost every joint in my body was affected. My neck was ok but over the last few months I’ve noticed it’s stiff and I don’t have the range of motion I used to. At first I thought it was because I slept on it wrong, like has happened in the past, like a sore muscle that eventually lets up. But this is not going away. I’m having hard time turning my neck/head when driving, so of course it’s becoming a real annoyance. Nothing I’ve taken for it helps which is why I wonder could it be related to my PsA?
Does anyone have any tips for helping ease this pain. I can get through my days with the ankle, knee, lower back, elbow, wrists and finger pain (yes it’s all over), but the neck is really getting to me.
It was the only area to not be affected much, and now it is. If I sound whiny it’s because I am lol. I’m sorry but I’m having a very hard time these last few weeks and the pain is getting to me

Hi mamajack, the first thing I would say is before assuming it is just PsA, do get to a physical therapist and similar, and just make sure there is not a mechanical issue. I dealt with a shoulder problem for nearly 6 months before going, and one session later he identified the problem, I’d changed my posture at the computer and how I used force through my arm, and it had resolved 80% within a day, and 100% within a week. It hasn’t returned since (over a year).

But… I did have the same experience with my neck, and it was indeed my PsA. You will probably need to try lots of different stuff to see what works for you. I found that it seemed to interfere with concentration and cognitive efficiency, and what worked for me was lying completely flat for some time, which seemed to take pressure off the inflamed joints. I mostly work from home, so would work for an hour and a half, then lie for 20 mins (usually meditating so that my mind didn’t go round and round).

I even found a quiet cubicle at the office I go to once a week, and would just lie down on the floor flat on my back for ten minutes every couple of hours or so. Also try all the other usual things - heat, cold, just remember if it is a new issue, try both (and everything else) and see which works. Ice had never worked for any of my other joints, so it took me a long time to try it, but for some reason it was far more effective on my neck than heat.

1 Like

Interestingly, I’ve had periods of time that my neck is problematic. Both pain wise and range of motion. I do have some stretches that I use when I’m really uncomfortable. Equally important, I try and hold things up instead of looking down. Use of tech can be really tough on necks.

2 Likes

Its definitely work checking with your GP - i had neck and shoulder pain that spread down my arm - it was unbearable but i just assumed it was part of the PsA and tried to ignore it. After a second episode didn’t clear up in a few weeks, i eventually went to the doc and he diagnosed a prolapsed disc in my spine, gave me some amytriplene (specifically for nerve pain) and the pain cleared up in a few days. I opted not to have surgery so still get 2-4 episodes per year but can clear it up pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Not knowing your age or car wreck history, yes to the PT! I have 4 fusions in my neck, C4,5,6,7 and osteo in C1,2,3. Four major surgeries on it and 15 pieces of titanium. Yes, the PsA picks on my neck! Anytime you have range of motion limitations don’t hesitate to have a GOOD neurosurgeon look at it.

Did chiro for years due to unstable C1, and 2 most of my life. That is the reasons I have osteo in C1,2,3, but didn’t have a choice.

Use lots of ice! Best advice I can give you. Then sleep on your back with something small under your head and neck.

I have both PsA in my neck and 4 bulging discs, one moderate/severe, I try and differentiate between the pain, because PsA waxes and wanes, the other issues are 24/7. Also when the biologics are working, the tension leaves my neck area. With PsA, OA and disc degeneration, it is difficult to tell the difference sometimes. I think the psychosomatic explanation feels weak to me. I suppose it is possible, but also sounds like a throw away Dx, like when they say it is Fibro, without any investigation. I had a GP tell me that the PsA and other symptoms all fit the psychological model, I laughed in his face, he then referred me to a Rheumy.
Just remember that you are your own best advocate.
Good luck!

1 Like

From experience, the bulging disc are going to result in something being numb and tingly. I have hard time trying to figure out the shoulder pain from PsA to neck problems. Don’t guess it makes much difference, neither is going away.

When my neck disc acted up I had problems with my hands, depending on which location. The c5,6,7 area seemed to really affect my hands.