I am newly diagnosed and i dont know what to expect.

Hi, Linda! That’s why we started the Newbies’ Guide! Click on DISCUSSION, and scroll down until you get to that section. There’s lots of information there, and lots more to come!

How about telling us a little bit about yourself? What symptoms did you have that led to your diagnosis? How long did it take to figure out that this is what you have? How do you find this is impacting your personal life and your work life? What medications have you tried, and what does your rheumatologist plan in terms of treatment?

Glad to have you here!

I will definitely check out the Newbies Guide. I have had symptoms of tendonitis, joint pain and lower back pain for a couple of years. It wasn’t until my nails were pitting that my GP finally sent me a rheumatologist. I have recently started methotrexate. So far I’ve been a little nauseated, but not too bad. I have two grown daughters that also have auto immune diseases. We are facing it together.

What a beautiful picture! And what an inspiration you are!

Oh, Linda. You’ve put up with this disease for a while, without knowing what it was. So many of us had that experience! When you read other peoples’ stories, you will notice that a lot of us had miscellaneous symptoms for a good long while, and were treated (unsuccessfully) with a bit of this and a bit of that. Or it was the usual suspects (age, menopause, working too hard, needing to exercise more, etc.). Or we were made to think that it was all in our heads. The good news is that you have a diagnosis, even if it doesn’t seem like good news now.
I’m glad your first dose of MTX wasn’t too bad. Does your doc have you taking folic acid as well? If not, do ask about it.
I hope you find this a good spot for support! Stay strong!

Hi Linda. Welcome. Like you I am newly diagnosed and don't really know what to expect. As a realist, and having read so many people's comments, I know it could be a rough ride. However, like everything, knowledge is power and so I am learning as much as I can about the condition. Went to a psychologist today to get some help with my emotions which are up and down constantly. I am frightened about the constant pain in my ankles and am praying that this will improve with more tweaking of the drugs. I think this is a great site because just reading other people's posts helps. They are positive and negative but it is best to know what you may experience and how others have coped. Good luck.

Hi Audrey, thanks for the response. I’ve found other peoples stories help me to not feel so alone. I didn’t realize how much of what i was experiencing was related to this disease. We have a lot to learn. I will add you to my prayers.

Well this has helped

I was looking for some thing about diagnoses When I first went to the Rheum Dr I saw a PA very nice said she suspected I have Psa then called it suspicion for seronegative arthritis ,how ever there is no conclusive evidence,then the next report different PA calls it an underlying inflammatory arthropathy no conclusive evidence, that is repeated in the next report from the Dr then again in the next report from the PA i work for my primary care dr so have excess to the reports that are sent so what does this mean do I don't I what do they need for conclusive evidence must be they think something since they put me MTX Not sure what to think