New meds

My chest X-ray came back normal so I start on methotrexate tomorrow, 4 pills a week, I hope I do well on them. I ordered that book everyone is talking about, should get it soon.

I hope it works well for you. Many people handle Mtx quite well and it helped me too but I couldn't take the side effects. Never know till you try. Good luck

What were your side effects?

Dini said:

I hope it works well for you. Many people handle Mtx quite well and it helped me too but I couldn’t take the side effects. Never know till you try. Good luck

Good luck with the MTX. I have been on it since April, started with pills and switched to injections. The book "the facts" is a great read!

Some people get side effects, some don’t. (And some people get side effects from the pills, but tolerate the injections just fine.) I got none, but not much in the way of improvement either. I’m still on it, though, because it is thought to improve the action of other drugs, and how your body reacts to them. Glad you’re getting the book!

Did you switch to injections because it was cheaper?

TaraLynn said:

Good luck with the MTX. I have been on it since April, started with pills and switched to injections. The book “the facts” is a great read!

I think that right now the injections are less costly but most people switch to them because you can avoid many of the GI side effects that way. Many people experience nausea, tender tummy, diarrhea, etc with the pills, but with the injections, you don’t get all of that. I started on injections and skipped the oral route altogether. I have had almost no side effect with that route. The injections are easy to give and don’t really hurt, so it can be worth it if you find yourself getting sick from the tabs.

I got nauseated yesterday afternoon after taking the pills for the first time yesterday morning. When I went and picked up the pills they were $93.00 but the pharmacist said the injections are $32.00 and it lasts a year, he said you can overdose on it easier though.

GrumpyCat said:

I think that right now the injections are less costly but most people switch to them because you can avoid many of the GI side effects that way. Many people experience nausea, tender tummy, diarrhea, etc with the pills, but with the injections, you don’t get all of that. I started on injections and skipped the oral route altogether. I have had almost no side effect with that route. The injections are easy to give and don’t really hurt, so it can be worth it if you find yourself getting sick from the tabs.

Some think the injectable form is more effective. I’m surprised at the price difference between injectable and pill form!

Hope said:
I got nauseated yesterday afternoon after taking the pills for the first time yesterday morning. When I went and picked up the pills they were $93.00 but the pharmacist said the injections are $32.00 and it lasts a year, he said you can overdose on it easier though.

GrumpyCat said:
I think that right now the injections are less costly but most people switch to them because you can avoid many of the GI side effects that way. Many people experience nausea, tender tummy, diarrhea, etc with the pills, but with the injections, you don't get all of that. I started on injections and skipped the oral route altogether. I have had almost no side effect with that route. The injections are easy to give and don't really hurt, so it can be worth it if you find yourself getting sick from the tabs.

The price varies widley. A chemo dose is nearly 100time s greater than what a syringe can hold, so pretty hard to OD. ansulin syringe with a 1-1/2" fine guage needle is what I use. Much less nausea.

I plan on talking to my doctor about getting the injectables on my next appointment.

tntlamb said:

The price varies widley. A chemo dose is nearly 100time s greater than what a syringe can hold, so pretty hard to OD. ansulin syringe with a 1-1/2" fine guage needle is what I use. Much less nausea.

If you aren’t squeamish about injecting, I’d be asking to go that route as well!

I’m a vet tech so I’m use to injecting animals and I use to inject myself with imitrex a migraine medication.

LOL, you won’t have any problems with MTX injections, then!

Your funny, where do you inject them?

Seenie said:

Hi Hope,

I switched to injections due to side effects. I increased the pill dose to 6 (total 15mg) and with each increase the side effects also increased. I was still having overall pain and flares, so we switched to 25mg injections. I reduced the dosage a few weeks back, to 20mg. I have no idea what the cost is and never knew there was a difference. Both my husband and I have insurance through work, so combined I pay nothing. Good luck :-)

Hope said:

TaraLynn said:

Good luck with the MTX. I have been on it since April, started with pills and switched to injections. The book "the facts" is a great read!

Actually I think I may of went up to 8 pills(20mg) . I started in April of this year with a gradual increase weekly.

TaraLynn said:

Hi Hope,

I switched to injections due to side effects. I increased the pill dose to 6 (total 15mg) and with each increase the side effects also increased. I was still having overall pain and flares, so we switched to 25mg injections. I reduced the dosage a few weeks back, to 20mg. I have no idea what the cost is and never knew there was a difference. Both my husband and I have insurance through work, so combined I pay nothing. Good luck :-)

Hope said:

TaraLynn said:

In the bathroom, usually. Oh wait, I think you mean … in my stomach or sometimes my thigh. Depends on my mood.

Hope said:

Your funny, where do you inject them?

Seenie said:

I inject in the living room! And I imagine a smile low on my abdomen running from one groin crease to the other below the navel. That is where I inject. It hurts less than my thigh and I react less with itchy hives there than I do on my thigh.