New and about to start a new drug

Hi everyone I'm new and I got a prescription in the mail today for a biologic called Golimumab so I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this or taken it. I suppose I'm also curious how other people have gone with any biologics and how well they work. I have had psoriasis since I was 23 (now 42) it has always been pretty severe on most of my body, scalp and nails, I got diagnosed with PA at the end of last year and it has gotten fairly bad really quickly, I have 55 effected joints at the moment and I have 5 days of flare ups a week. I have so far tried methatrexate, sulfasalazine and arava but my immune system is still running a muck on me (I'm Australian by the way) I had bad side efffects from the methatrexate mild from sulfasalazine and I just kept getting worse while on arava. I am on pretty strong pain killers and still have a lot of pain on my 2 worst days each week. I am getting cranky and frustrated because I can't do a lot of things I used to so would really like some good news regarding the biologics. Thanks

Welcome Tracey! Hope your Golimumab (Simponi) works well for you! Biologics seem to be the next logical step for you since the other drugs aren't working. Since you are so severely affected, it will probably take some time for the drug to start helping. I don't have any personal experience with Simponi, but I have been on 3 different biologics; now on Enbrel. I have never had any noticeable side effects from biologics, but other people have. Keep us posted on your progress! God Bless!

Hi Tracey. Ive been on Simponi for almost a year. I do not believe I have had any side effects from it, but I also take several other things (methotrexate and prednisone on and off) and I get side effects from those meds. I took simponi alone for the first 4 months, and for the first 2 months I started getting better, then I crashed and had to add in methotrexate, got much better for 4-5 months, thinking I was in remission, then crashed again and added prednisone creating a trifecta of meds that seemed to be helping wonderfully for about 4 months until I got sick and had to stop the mtx for a week to take antibiotics, and now I'm back in full blown flare up mode and back on pred.w/ mtx and simponi Taking my simponi shot next week, I'll let ya know if I start getting better. good luck.

Welcome. It sounds like you are ready to move on to biologics. (I am already there) Remember that each medication that you try has a 3 month waiting time, since the body takes that long to recognize the drug. (I've tried several already) In the meantime, drs. usually give you pain killers to help with the pain. All drugs have side effects, but to me, the benefit outweights the effects. Hang in there, that there is life after PsA. Praying for you.

Hello! I am also about to start Simponi. I have been on Humira and Enbel and they both worked for a while then stopped. I am hopeful for simponi.

welcome! I was on on Enbrel, Humira, and Simponi and am now back on Enbrel with MTX. I thought Simponi was working for me but then all of a sudden it wasn't. I can't remember if I took Simponi with MTX but I think I did. Enbrel seems to be waning on me now. My Rheumatologist said if it did we could try Remicade in January. I wish you the best of luck and am sending hugs and prayers to you.

I am currently on Simponi (Golimumab). It has done nothing for me except aggravate my psoriasis. Since starting it I have developed pustular psoriasis on my feet. I've had that on my hands before, but the bottom of my feet is a new thing and SO not fun. I also have recently developed some breathing issues which I am going to the Rheumy about tomorrow. Just like every biological and DMARD and med out there everyone reacts differently. After I get the ok I'm starting Arava because MTX makes me sick and Sulfasalazine was useless.

Good luck! Be sure to let people know how you react to it. It fairly new to the PsA circuit especially in the US. Very few people have documented their experiences with it.

I've been Simponi for a year with no side effects. I've had to switch to every 3 week vs. every 4 week injection, I could set my watch by my flares at exactly 3 weeks! :) My dr. said to get the drugs to market they pick an average dosage and go with it. What the package says doesn't work for everyone. I had to add in Arava this summer for new symptoms (enthesitis, what fun!). The combo of the two keeps down the worst of inflammation in both joints and tendons. I still have fatigue and take pain meds in the evenings. I still need to ration my energy. But the Simponi is working. Of all the TNF blockers I've been on (all of them, one by one, over the past 11 yrs as one or another stopped working), Simponi is the easiest to take.

Arava works for me.

ShutTheFrontDoor said:

I am currently on Simponi (Golimumab). It has done nothing for me except aggravate my psoriasis. Since starting it I have developed pustular psoriasis on my feet. I've had that on my hands before, but the bottom of my feet is a new thing and SO not fun. I also have recently developed some breathing issues which I am going to the Rheumy about tomorrow. Just like every biological and DMARD and med out there everyone reacts differently. After I get the ok I'm starting Arava because MTX makes me sick and Sulfasalazine was useless.

Good luck! Be sure to let people know how you react to it. It fairly new to the PsA circuit especially in the US. Very few people have documented their experiences with it.