Neuropathy in feet--what causes this?

I see there are a few discussions about this. I'm hoping it isn't coming back like I had it a few years ago, because it was some of the most unbearable pain I've ever had.

Back when it was chronic pain for me, I had noticed on days I ate ice cream or really rich, sweet desserts my neuropathy would be even worse. Lately my feet have been a little sore and burning a bit-nothing I can't handle. But this evening they are extremely painful-like in the good old days. Interestingly, we had a going-away party at work for a couple of student workers today and I pigged out on 3 pieces of a really good dessert!

I have some old Nortriptyline from 2010-wow time flies when you're having fun--I had filled this in 2010 and decided I didn't need it anymore. I actually have 2 bottles of 60 10mg with instructions to take 1-3 capsules as needed for neuropathy. I wonder if they're still good cuz I'm contemplating taking some, but don't worry, I won't take any old pills without advice from a doctor or pharmacist!

I don't like this pain-it's so bad it makes me feel weak! :-(

Hi sybil, that's exactly what I did! I elevated them, massaged and wiggled them and applied an ice pack, and after about an hour they felt better. 4 years ago, when I had to go on Nortriptyline for several months, nothing like that helped-well, the pain was so intense every day ice packs would help at bedtime, but with my active life I didn't have time to use ice packs throughout the day. I remember feeling so sick at work sometimes (and I have a desk job so not on my feet for extended periods) just from that foot pain.

I will use the ice packs, massage and wiggling if it helps, but I'm not afraid to go back on Nortriptyline if I need it. It was a life saver. There is one drawback, which is a very dry mouth. And, nobody ever verified this, but while I was taking it is when I had vitreous detachment in my eyes and I've always wondered if Nortriptyline caused that. If so, that would be a huge drawback because I still get the flashing lights and I have floaters that never go away.

sybil said:

I've seen this word 'neuropathy' mentioned a lot lately, too. It does puzzle me because descriptions of how it feels often sound just like PsA pain / sensations.

I get the feeling that my feet are set to 'vibrate' and are receiving a lot of messages! Also burning, mainly in soles of feet and a feeling of walking on stones. All of this is a bit better lately actually, which could be down to Humira.

So anyway, just looked up neuropathy and my interpretation is that it can be caused by nerves getting compressed by inflammation or could be the result of some peripheral nerve damage, which presumably comes about if the inflammation continues for too long.

What happens if you wiggle your feet, i.e. wiggle and flex them quite a lot? Something tells me you've probably tried this! But thought it was worth saying 'cos sometimes I take to the sofa & seize up and I think that makes it worse.