Nausea

I took 3 of my methotrexate Friday night and 3 Saturday morning and I’m so nauseated. The doctor told me to do it this way so I wouldn’t get nauseated. I feel totally useless and sick. Just 10 months ago I was fine. My arms and my neck are hurting me today. I’m thinking of doing the meds on Sunday nights and Monday mornings so I can at least have good weekends.

What are the days most people take their methotrexate if that is what you are on?

I take mine by injection on Saturday night after dinner, so usually around 7 pm. Sometimes, I get what I call, “tender tummy”, where I am a little queasy, and need to visit the toilet a little more often. This doesn’t happen every time though, and it got better the longer I took the MTX. There is an over the counter med called Emetrol, and it works okay for nausea. If you have prescription insurance, you could ask your doc to call in an prescription for Zofran. It’s wonderful for nausea and vomiting, but it’s expensive without insurance.

I hope you get to feeling better. MTX can be the pits sometimes.

I had nausea with oral methotrexate to the point of not wanting to take it again but my switched me to the injectable mtx and it has been okay, with prescription folic acid, for about 8 mos. now. The syringe is very fine so the injection is not as bad as I thought it would be. I inject Friday night and I am low,key on Saturday morning but around noon I feel okay. Good luck.

I take the oral methotrexate, two on Thursday night, four on Friday morning. I usually get an upset stomach after lunchtime on Friday and have to run to the bathroom more often than usual. I have been taking them for about a year now and only remember being periodically queasy when I first started taking them. I really hope you feel better soon! :)

Thanks everyone.

Sweetjane’s suggestion about switching to an injectable is a good one. Ask your doc about it. It really is the most painless injection ever – if you are squeamish, get someone else to give you the jab.

There is also some thought that injecting the MTX makes it more effective, because it bypasses the digestive system and goes straight into the bloodstream.

In any case, worth looking into.

Really. Try the injectible. It was 100 times more tolerable for me. I felt like I was dying on the pills. I still have nausea with the injectible, but it is so much easier to deal with. And there came a time that I just decided that I would gladly accept this nausea to get the benefits I am getting from the med. You can do this. Good luck.

I’m going to talk to my doctor on march 3rd about the injectables.

Pain said:

Really. Try the injectible. It was 100 times more tolerable for me. I felt like I was dying on the pills. I still have nausea with the injectible, but it is so much easier to deal with. And there came a time that I just decided that I would gladly accept this nausea to get the benefits I am getting from the med. You can do this. Good luck.