Muscle cramps in my legs, Methotrexate?

Do any of you experience muscle cramps in your legs? These aren't the usual cramping, but are funny tightening with my feet even contracting and looking funny. Sometimes, I can't even walk it out and it hurts like crazy. Could this be from methotrexate? When I told the doctor a couple of months ago, she said that she had more complaints about muscle cramping in her arthritis patients than other patients and did not think it was methotrexate. My orthopedic felt it might be related to prednisone, which I am no longer on. Any ideas?

I also get cramp on my legs:( but then again I can get them all over. I was on MTX for a period of time and did not notice an increase, now on Sulfa I see no decrease. I think it is just one more symptom we have to live with related to PsA! This is just my situation, I am no expert:) Good luck in your search for answers…

I get lots of muscle cramps; in my legs and abdomen and back. I have gotten them whither I was on mtx or not. I think it is part of PsA. When it happens I increase my water consumption it seems to help. Either that or it just gives me something to do about it so I feel better!

I take magnesium as a natural muscle relaxant. You can take it with your vitamin D3 for better absorption, and take it to tolerance (loose stools as the main side effect of too much) I have had my feet and toes to that strange contraction thing. Most uncomfortable and weird.

Yes, I get them in both legs. In fact, cramps so bad that they caused muscle strains were pretty much one of my first symptoms although I didn't realise it at the time. Hindsight, such a wonderful thing!

I don't have a problem for months and months and months at a time and then suddenly, wham. Over the last couple of weeks I'd stretched out a couple of times in the night and had just a slight tell-tale hint but then this week Wednesday night was the turn of my left calf and Thursday night the right one. Was with the physio for my weekly hydrotherapy on Friday afternoon and he was shocked by how tight and painful my right muscle still was. Still hurts today.

Try to make sure I'm well hydrated by drinking extra water, although oddly I'd been doing that before the cramps. I don't know .... yet another random event that seems to possibly have some kind of connection to PsA.

I haven't taken mtx for two years so I don't see any connection with that or any other meds.

If its BOTH legs its arthritis. its a classic symptom of Symetric PsA. No wonder your doctor gets more complaints about it from arthritis patients - sheesh. Its also common with RA? There is medication for it, but not worth the effirt IMO. Bannans, lots of water, increased potassium, and posture help try a thin pillow under your knees when sleeping or if a side sleeper between your knees. During the day bouncing on your tip toes relieves it......

Thank you Lamb, I wish you were my doctor. I've mentioned the cramps to my GP, rheumy and nurses and they have all looked blank :-(

I've just got a little mini trampoline to 'walk' on as it's lower impact for my knees .... and the technique is sort of bouncing on my toes so that should help the cramps too.

tntlamb said:

If its BOTH legs its arthritis. its a classic symptom of Symetric PsA. No wonder your doctor gets more complaints about it from arthritis patients - sheesh. Its also common with RA? There is medication for it, but not worth the effirt IMO. Bannans, lots of water, increased potassium, and posture help try a thin pillow under your knees when sleeping or if a side sleeper between your knees. During the day bouncing on your tip toes relieves it......

I had those cramps before I was diagnosed. I would have them so violent that they would wake me up several times each night. Got the blank look from GP too, along with advice to drink lots of water and stretch the muscles before bed. What helped me, like Sassy, was a magnesium supplement. When I started treatment – first drug was mtx – the cramps left town. So it wasn’t the drugs, but more likely the disease. What you say, Lamb, is interesting: I’ve not read that before.

Are those also called charlie horses? I get those in my calves occasionally.... The one thing that works for me is to lie down on my back with legs flat and then push against my heels while tipping my toes towards me. It stops the cramp immediately. Lamb, I never heard of bouncing on your toes to relieve that! Interesting!

Thank you all for the input! I think I will try be to more careful with the dehydration issue. I have been drinking more tea than usual, though I often drink decaf, and this all started when the weather changed and it has been so much warmer. On my labs occasionally the doctor will comment that I'm "too dry"... My son was just talking about magnesium and think I will give that a try as well. Again, thank you all. So weird how we have so many different symptoms that most people would never associated with "arthritis"... PsA is so much more! This forum is so great!!! :-)

I to Get the leg cramps but here recently I have had cramps in my arms , has anyone had that before.