Mitral Valve Prolapse with Regurgitation... Heart Question and PsA

I took a very bad fall, after standing up from computer chair to put coffee cup in sink. Blacked out. Was hospitalized for 3 days. My newest diagnosis is Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgitation. I am wondering does anyone else have this condition and could it be caused by PsA? Or maybe even the MTX or other medications? Thanks.

Not likley PsA. This is by far the most common "heart defect" Its especially common in young women, and most "outgrow it" (most don't even know they had it) About 10% of the population has it. In recent years it has become very easy to treat. In fact they are doing outpatient surgery (although its rarley necessary.) I'm looking at the worlds leading medical center for this condition as I type.

In regards to PsA You do have a slightly higher risk of cardiac complications both as a female and having MVP. Those come from a higher risk due to endocarditis and immune system suppression from PsA treatment. The main risk however to PsA patients is heart Failure (a disease that needs a new name) I had quite a row with the marketing department a few years back when part of the new ad campaign they had developed stated "Lowest readmission rate for Heart Failure in the world" It just didn't sound right..... In any event it used to be called congestive heart failure. It should be Heart inflammation.......

I don't suppose a bit of trivia is what anyone wants to hear but we always knew females had more MVP from puberty to early to mid thirtys. It wasn't until sex change operations and treatment of transgender disorders became more common that we realized fluctuating sex hormones, especially estrogen, causing worsened symptoms of MVP. They were having heart issues with pre-surgical hormone treatment.

All that said I'd be vigiliant, listen to your doctors, and get on top of any viral infections.

Thank you, I do know the doctor stated to me " It is a simple heart operation" and my first thought was...how simple is any heart operation. It just scared me. I had an attack of endocarditis in July with chest pain and such and started antibiotics. So I often wonder of this is maybe from that. I will know more when I see the cardiologist on the 18th. I took home a monitor and wore one in the hospital the entire time, but was a falls risk so not allowed to so much as move out of my bed, it is scary when you hear anything to do with the heart. I really appreciate this. I have never blacked out and they told me it was because the new blood pressure meds they had increased caused my BP to get too low and that when I stood up it is why I passed out. My heart rate never drops below 100, even when asleep and on Morphine. So they were quite concerned about that. Plus the fact that I have PSA and such they worry about it more so. I do know when my phone rang the nurse came running in my room because my heart rate went from 130 to 150 just from me reaching for the phone. She said it scared her. I hate googling things because I always get anxious when I read some of the things. All that was really mentioned was my heart works twice as hard to pump the blood out to my body because when it goes out it goes back in and not to where it needs to go. They gave me my MTX shot and discharged me even though my temp was over 100, no antibiotics either and that scares me a little too. But I am hoping they know what they are doing. Was just a very scary event to black out just from standing up out of a chair, and to be told is something to do with the heart. I appreciate the response. Thank you :)
tntlamb said:

Not likley PsA. This is by far the most common "heart defect" Its especially common in young women, and most "outgrow it" (most don't even know they had it) About 10% of the population has it. In recent years it has become very easy to treat. In fact they are doing outpatient surgery (although its rarley necessary.) I'm looking at the worlds leading medical center for this condition as I type.

In regards to PsA You do have a slightly higher risk of cardiac complications both as a female and having MVP. Those come from a higher risk due to endocarditis and immune system suppression from PsA treatment. The main risk however to PsA patients is heart Failure (a disease that needs a new name) I had quite a row with the marketing department a few years back when part of the new ad campaign they had developed stated "Lowest readmission rate for Heart Failure in the world" It just didn't sound right..... In any event it used to be called congestive heart failure. It should be Heart inflammation.......

I don't suppose a bit of trivia is what anyone wants to hear but we always knew females had more MVP from puberty to early to mid thirtys. It wasn't until sex change operations and treatment of transgender disorders became more common that we realized fluctuating sex hormones, especially estrogen, causing worsened symptoms of MVP. They were having heart issues with pre-surgical hormone treatment.

All that said I'd be vigiliant, listen to your doctors, and get on top of any viral infections.

Hi Starshined,

Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you are feeling better soon. I have been diagnosed with MVP, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help to you. My doc happened to hear it when I went in with a bad bout of bronchitis when I was 19. They wanted to do a whole work up at the time but since I didn't have any chest pains or symptoms I kind of just swept it under the rug. I know my EKG's always come out abnormal and that usually ends with the dreaded treadmill stress test. I do get chest pain a lot now, but honestly I can't tell you if it's from costochondritis, PsA, fibro or MVP. It's never been bad enough though for me to think I was having a heart attack (thank goodness!!). I do have a "racier" heart rate than most. The only thing I have to do so far is get pre-medicated before my dentist appointments or any type of surgery.

From what I've read and heard, the surgery is fairly common. I know it must be so scary to hear you need heart surgery but (and I know this is going to come out wrong) if you're going to need heart surgery I think this might be one of the best one's to have.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep me posted on how things go.

Thanks Sue, I totally understand, as my doctor stated, it is a "simple heart surgery" I gues he meant that as a good thing. I have my appointment set for the 18th to go see him and get results of the most recent testing. It is weird my EKG done back in July when I went in because I was having chest pain came back normal, but now the 5 EKGs done while in the hospital are coming back weird. I even scared the nurse a few times while having visitors and phone calls as when I saw people I knew my heart rate went up to 130 and when the phone startled me as it rang it went to 150s for a while. I guess it is not normal to have a resting heart rate over 100 when you are sleeping ...or on morphine as that is what I was put on. My nurse said my heart never dropped under 100 the entire time I was there. Just scary indeed. And thank you I try to post when I can because this site has been wonderful and helpful to me through this process. I have been denied twice by SSI now and so am awaiting a court hearing thankfully I started the whole process with a lawyer. I best get to be as my pain meds are kicking in.

what is weird is just before this episode, I had no lesions and a few days before I started to get them again. I asked and no one ever really knows why, but I have been told that PsA is Autoimmune and that I need to be careful because when the lesions appear outside my body may also start doing weird things inside, such as attacking organs and such. I also have AS ( Ankylosing Spondylitis) and they think is from PsA. Just one thing after another with me anymore.

Sue33 said:

Hi Starshined,

Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you are feeling better soon. I have been diagnosed with MVP, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help to you. My doc happened to hear it when I went in with a bad bout of bronchitis when I was 19. They wanted to do a whole work up at the time but since I didn't have any chest pains or symptoms I kind of just swept it under the rug. I know my EKG's always come out abnormal and that usually ends with the dreaded treadmill stress test. I do get chest pain a lot now, but honestly I can't tell you if it's from costochondritis, PsA, fibro or MVP. It's never been bad enough though for me to think I was having a heart attack (thank goodness!!). I do have a "racier" heart rate than most. The only thing I have to do so far is get pre-medicated before my dentist appointments or any type of surgery.

From what I've read and heard, the surgery is fairly common. I know it must be so scary to hear you need heart surgery but (and I know this is going to come out wrong) if you're going to need heart surgery I think this might be one of the best one's to have.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep me posted on how things go.