Methotrexate

Now my doctor increased my pills from 6 to 8, took 4 on Friday night then 4 Saturday morning, I won’t feel good again until sometime Monday. How am I suppose to function this way? I know every time I’m on here I feel like all I do is complain, I can’t work, my next appointment is on march 3rd. My arms, neck and shoulders are killing me.

It’s hard. I know. What medication are you taking for the nausea?

Have you told the doctor about how bad you’re feeling?

Hi Hope, mtx did the same to me. Increasing my folic acid to every day (except the days you take your mtx) helped me with the nausea a little bit and I lived on ginger beer and ginger ale which helps as well. Going on to injections is the best way round the nausea. Until you can see/talk to your doctor you could see if your pharmacist has any advice on helping with the nausea ..... I found mine were really good. It may be that like me mtx doesn't agree with you at all in which case your doc can move you on to something else. Hang in there.

Hope, did the doc increase your dose after you talked to him about how bad you are feeling? What was his response to that?

I will tell them on March 3rd. I’m already on Folic acid everyday. I’ve been drinking ginger ale, doesn’t help much. I will discuss the nausea with her on the third.

Seenie said:

It’s hard. I know. What medication are you taking for the nausea?

Have you told the doctor about how bad you’re feeling?

Hope, the ginger ale obviously isn’t doing enough for you. A suggestion from an old-timer: make friends with your pharmacist. You’d be amazed at what they can do for you. Go to the place where you buy your mtx, and explain to the pharmacist (not a clerk on the floor) what’s happening. I’m sure s/he will be able to suggest something more effective than gingerale. You have three more doses of mtx to go before March 3. That’s too long to be suffering.

I have a good relationship with my pharmacist, and he has helped me out of more than one difficult situation. And you don’t need to wait weeks for an appointment with one. In our position, with a chronic illness, we need all the support we can get.

You can do this, Hope!