Methotrexate Study

Spondyloarthritis: Is methotrexate effective in psoriatic arthritis?

Philip J. Mease About the author

Abstract

Although methotrexate is the most widely used medication for psoriatic arthritis (PsA), evidence for its effectiveness is scant. The recent MIPA trial failed to show disease-modifying effects. Was this outcome due to true inefficacy, or to trial issues? Data on symptom-modulating and disease-modifying effects of methotrexate in PsA are explored.

http://www.nature.com/nrrheum/journal/v8/n5/full/nrrheum.2012.56.html

Anyone wanna take a stab at making this complex subject simple for me ?

He made a study of the studies and decided the studies were poor. His belief was that for skin conditions and pure joint moblity there was NOT much disease modifying activity. Of course PsA is MUCH MORE than skin eruptions and joints "sticking" He points out that whether methotrexate can beneficially affect enthesitis, dactylitis, or spondylitis in PsA has not been studied. (specifically these conditions in PsA, Its known MTX is effective for theses conditions in general. One of the more common protocols recently is the combination od DMRDS with BIologics as the "numbers" seem to indicate NEITHER ar as effective as monotherapy as the combination.

The study is referring to BTW STINKS It takes a min of 56 subjects to be compliant and on identical protocols on each tail of the regression to have even a 75% chance of being predictive. close enough for a quick political poll or even diversifying an investment portfolio, The Studies he refers to aren't even close to those numbers. I believe if I read it right it was less than 17 on the non-placebo side by the time they figured it all out. He rightful questions the she studies and is correct in that a real study should be done.

The Humira studies BTW that are confirming the efficiency of the dual therapy involve over 1300 subjects.