Methotrexate and infections

Hello everyone, I was on methotrexate for more than a year. About 7 months into treatment I started getting infections. Pneumonia first which I had no symptoms off until pre-op chest x ray, then upper respiratory infection, then severe sinus infection, and so on after 5 acute infections in six months rheumy pulled me off methotrexate put me on steroids and about six weeks later started Otezla. I now have an issue with fungal/yeast I can not seem yo get rid of and I am battling another sinus infection, afraid to go to doctor as they will put me on antibiotics and fungal/yeast will get worse (fungal/yeast shows as thrush and yeast (female) infection and now podiatrist says toe nail could be fungal or psoraiatic but he stress important to let rheumy know at next appt. Has anyone ran into this issue?

I did have a fungal infection on my feet ... probably still have or it may be psoriasis, the jury's out. I also get sinus infections though not for some months so that's good. I don't know if a great diet, load of vegetables etc., and plenty of fresh air can help, but it certainly can't hurt.

I'm very sorry to hear you've had / have these problems which are more severe than mine. Pneumonia is a high price to pay for trying to get the disease under control and I hope you do a lot better on Otezla.

I'd say that many people here have mentioned psoriatic nails which were initially thought to be fungal. I had a sample of toenail taken and as the test showed it was not fungal, psoriatic disease became the diagnosis.

Thanks Sybil, my Primary Doctor put me on a diet of high protein, high veggies, moderate fruit, no grains- not just gluten - get rid off all grains, absolutely no sugar. - not sure what rheumatologist or endocrinologist will say but he said he will deal with them ( easy since they are all in same building under same hospital clinic). I am hoping to see results with the diet change, mostly weight loss and some energy! I am guessing I will be waiting till my next appt to find out about fungal issues and methotrexate.

I have no suggestions unfortunately, but am dealing with a similar issue! Have been on Enbrel for 9 months, and MTX for 7 months. In the past 6 weeks I have had a sinus infection, ear infection, and yeast infection/UTI, all as a chain of events. So frustrating! Nothing severe but unpleasant nonetheless. When one thing goes away another things pops up. I've been in an on-again off-again cycle with antibiotics and my regular meds. Waiting to communicate with my rheumatologist soon.

Please let me know how you are doing and if your diet helps!

Northbynorthwest22 I will definitely let you know. It is very frustrating that the medicine that helps the most the pulled me off in May and still have not allowed me to go back on it. So far Otezla hasn’t done anything but I am told it takes a while and I am only starting my fourth week. Good luck.

I catch a cold, ya know, a sore throat, runny nose and maybe a cough and my rhuemy tells me to stop the MTX right away. First sign of a fever, forget about it. Talk to your doc. Fungal looking nail beds and rash. seems to get better with the MTX for me. The steroidal creams help too. G'luck.

PolarBearKing I was told something similar that if I am put on antibiotics to immediately stop methotrexate after a big red warning issue at pharmacy between methotrexate and augmentin for bronchitis, my pharmacist refused to fill the antibiotics for over 5 hours until he was sure they had me stop the methotrexate. I will definitely talk with them. Thanks!

I was on Humira for a year and then switched to Otezla. The co-pay was $2,950/month. I contracted pnemonia three times and nearly died the third time. The third time is when I was on Otezla and methotrexate.

I went off the biologics and only take methotrexate. It has been extremely hot here in south central Michigan this summer. I have had two flares. Does anyone else feel that the climate impacts the level of inflammation from PsA?
Sybil said:

I did have a fungal infection on my feet … probably still have or it may be psoriasis, the jury’s out. I also get sinus infections though not for some months so that’s good. I don’t know if a great diet, load of vegetables etc., and plenty of fresh air can help, but it certainly can’t hurt.

I’m very sorry to hear you’ve had / have these problems which are more severe than mine. Pneumonia is a high price to pay for trying to get the disease under control and I hope you do a lot better on Otezla.

I’d say that many people here have mentioned psoriatic nails which were initially thought to be fungal. I had a sample of toenail taken and as the test showed it was not fungal, psoriatic disease became the diagnosis.