Medicine scripts and emerging trend on accepting marijuana

When I read the trial and error nature of different meds therapy options and their various side-effects…with the momentum building across the USA as to reevaluating the perspective on marijuana and it’s potential benefits with little side effects curious as to the lack of discussion on this topic. I have never used marijuana but neither have I seen so many different med options for psA and they all seem somewhat of a crapshoot with many working for some but not for others…then all the crazy potential side-effects. Why isn’t there more of a cry for the marijuana alternative??

Seems more like a complementary/alternative therapy type of post?

Pot has some medical benefits, but it is certainly not proven to be helpful in autoimmune disorders, to my knowledge. It has side effects, as well, that are quite limiting and can be detrimental to a person's mental and physical wellbeing in the long run, and it is quite addictive, despite what proponents say. It's a drug. It causes a high, which makes it much more appealing as a medicine than most of the stuff we get. It also can make a person super anxious and decreases motivation while burning out the neuron's receptors that pick up on novelty, which, after a couple of weeks of regular use, makes everything boring. So... I wouldn't buy into the lack of side effects nonsense. It's got plenty of those.

Here's a good site to start with if you're interested in reading more about it:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

If you search on "marijuana" you will find many discussions about it on this group.

Some people find it helpful, some don't. For most who use it, it is in addition to their regular meds (DMARD's, Biologics, NSAID's, etc).

It won't stop your disease, unfortunately. You may get some symptom reduction (like pain), but the disease is still ticking along under there.

A couple of people in my local autoimmune disease support group use MMJ (medical marijuana) to help with symptom relief for their various conditions. Each of them also has a story about a bad reaction to a particular strain, or using too much at once and ending up feeling awful, things like that. Side effects are usually rare for MJ, so I'm not sure if having various autoimmune diseases ups the chance of a side effect from using. I only have my anecdotal evidence because we don't have too many controlled, peer-reviewed studies of MMJ.

Since I've had PsA since the age of 10, I've been voting to legalize MMJ since I was in college 20 years ago. I thought I might need it someday. I still haven't gotten there. I live in a state (WA) with legal MJ for recreational use (we've had MMJ for years prior to legalizing MJ for recreational use).

As for your other comment (quoted in part) ".....med options for psA and they all seem somewhat of a crapshoot with many working for some but not for others...then all the crazy potential side-effects".

The immune system in complicated, and each of us is slightly different. So the meds will not work for everyone the same way. We have been making very slow progress on how to treat various autoimmune forms of arthritis. When I was diagnosed decades ago, there was aspirin and gold shots. The reality is that there are a vast number of treatment options today for various forms of autoimmune arthritis compared to a few decades ago. Most people are thrilled to actually have some choices. Of course we all want faster progress and better treatments, but considering how complicated and slow the work is with understanding the immune system, I think it's impressive what has already been discovered. Biologics came on to the market in 2000, and have revolutionized the treatment of PsA, RA, and other autoimmune diseases. We now have better meds with fewer harmful side effects than ever before.

I would say that marijauna is more for dealing with symptoms than really stopping symptoms. Certain strains can help you relax and others can give you a bit more oomph to get things done. Not all strains are the same and if you’re going to use it, you need to know which type you’re getting. Also, even in places where it’s legal, do you really know what you’re getting? You can also take it in different forms, and each form has a very different effect.

Every drug has side effects, and marijauna is certainly included.

I would say, don’t expect it to even take your pain away, it more changes your state of mind and either you’ll really enjoy it or you won’t. Also be wary if you’ve ever experienced any depression, anxiety or other mood disorders.

I am not a medical professional, this is just my personal opinion and do not take responsibility for any bad experiences :wink:

Seems there is a lot of misconception surrounding the use of cannabanoids in MJ.
The medical strains that I am researching, have the THC taken out, so you are unable to get high.
You don’t even smoke it. You ingest it.

And speaking of misconceptions low THC pot is high in in CBD (Cannabidiol) CBD is the agent that reportedly reduces pain, muscle spasms, inflammation etc. Its injested to get high levels of it. Genuine "pot Heads the guys you see walking around stuck in the 60's with a smile on their face get that way from the CBD. In fact the "mellow" is the desired effect of pot. There are better (and much cheaper) ways to the psychoactive effects of THC than pot. Serious users (as opposed to getting high at a party of pot have always distinguished between sativa and indica. The high produced from smoking Indica bud is a strong physical body high that will make you sleepy or ‘couch-locked’ and provides a deep relaxation feeling compared to a Sativa high, which is known to be more energetic and uplifting. Make no mistake you cna get just as "impaired with low THC weed as with high THC" The old phrase F***ed up refers to high CBD levels. These are the guys who become couched locked. They could have picked either one to be "medical" but as old pot heads prefer the CBD, that seems to be the preference. In the legal pot markets in Holland etc (there is a great one with a vap room in the amsterdam airport) don't bother with such nonsense. Avidekel, strain developed in Palestine, has a very low content of THC but a high content of CBD is very popular with those facing a long international flight.

They can't actually take all of the THC out. That's pretty good marketing, though. I know some people that have done quite well using medical marijuana, but I don't know how it could treat PsA in the absence of traditional medications.

Once again Lamb, I always appreciate your knowledge. Thank you for this information.

tntlamb said:

And speaking of misconceptions low THC pot is high in in CBD (Cannabidiol) CBD is the agent that reportedly reduces pain, muscle spasms, inflammation etc. Its injested to get high levels of it. Genuine "pot Heads the guys you see walking around stuck in the 60’s with a smile on their face get that way from the CBD. In fact the “mellow” is the desired effect of pot. There are better (and much cheaper) ways to the psychoactive effects of THC than pot. Serious users (as opposed to getting high at a party of pot have always distinguished between sativa and indica. The high produced from smoking Indica bud is a strong physical body high that will make you sleepy or ‘couch-locked’ and provides a deep relaxation feeling compared to a Sativa high, which is known to be more energetic and uplifting. Make no mistake you cna get just as “impaired with low THC weed as with high THC” The old phrase F***ed up refers to high CBD levels. These are the guys who become couched locked. They could have picked either one to be “medical” but as old pot heads prefer the CBD, that seems to be the preference. In the legal pot markets in Holland etc (there is a great one with a vap room in the amsterdam airport) don’t bother with such nonsense. Avidekel, strain developed in Palestine, has a very low content of THC but a high content of CBD is very popular with those facing a long international flight.

One of my coworkers is always joking about helping people get some "low carb pot," to counteract the munchies. :)

Not me, I just saw a Burrito Vending Machine. Dispenses hot burritos. I've decided to devote my spare time to starting a Route of Burrito machines at "dispensaries" and ":glass shops" (the new head shops) A good route a couple years, a super supplemntary retirement. If nothing else I could install a burrito machine and kegerator next to my new recliner and die a happy man

rosen said:

One of my coworkers is always joking about helping people get some "low carb pot," to counteract the munchies. :)

I need this machine in my life!!!

tntlamb said:

Not me, I just saw a Burrito Vending Machine. Dispenses hot burritos. I've decided to devote my spare time to starting a Route of Burrito machines at "dispensaries" and ":glass shops" (the new head shops) A good route a couple years, a super supplemntary retirement. If nothing else I could install a burrito machine and kegerator next to my new recliner and die a happy man

rosen said:

Maybe it’s because I’m a wee bit naughty but why would you want to take all the thc out? :wink:

rosen said:

They can't actually take all of the THC out. That's pretty good marketing, though. I know some people that have done quite well using medical marijuana, but I don't know how it could treat PsA in the absence of traditional medications.