Mattress pad - which one do you recommend?

Hubs won't go for a new mattress, but I don't like to retreat to the sofa so often. Therefore, my compromise is to get a good quality, memory foam topper. I'm hoping I can get one for under $200, and closer to $100 would be great.

Which if any do you all have, and what do you like/dislike about it. How much did you pay, and was it worth it? Serta, Slumber Solutions, Latex, non-latex, gel.... Too many to choose from. I was comparing options on Overstock.com and am overwhelmed. I also do not always trust the star ratings on these things and would rather hear from you all.

Thanks.

I don't know what brand it was but I got a cheap one - 20 or 30 bucks - that looks something like the bottom of an egg carton. It really helps me with pain. I absolutely cannot sleep on the bed (a soft Serta) without it. I can't say that I sleep on it that much though, as I prefer the softness of the sofa. But I'm thinking that a nice expensive one would really help you out.

Well, I was looking for a memory foam mattress pad last year and I came across this:

http://www.dreamsoftbedware.com/coyuchi.html

DH and I sleep on a split king (two XL twins pushed together) so I wasn't into the biggest bucks, but it was still pretty expensive. I hemmed and hawed and finally I ordered one. After one night on the snugfleece and I was hooked! After a week, I ordered one for the RV, and then I ordered the pillow sham.

It is soft but supportive, warm but not sweaty. I absolutely love it.

Seenie

I think I've tried every option in mattress pads and even tried three different mattresses, trying to find a way to spend a whole night in bed. I never did find a perfect solution, but got pretty close. I don't think there is a perfect solution. Go too soft, and you lose support. Go for support, and pressure points are a nightmare.

Latex, they say is most supportive, but has a "push-back" feel to it. I didn't like latex; hurt my hips. Memory foam, you "sink into." IMHO, a one-inch memory foam mattress pad is a waste of money--the thicker the better. If you decide to go for a thicker memory foam pad, remember it will add height to your bed (could be a factor in getting in and out of bed). Because you sink into the memory foam and it cradles you, it tends to also be a bit warmer. In my experience, the better, usually more expensive, memory foam is not as hot as the cheaper stuff, and also will last longer.

I also tried feather beds, which are very comfortable, but the feathers tend to shift after a while, even if you spring for the most expensive baffled ones. I had to literally pick the thing up and shake it once a week to redistribute the feathers...Feather beds are every heavy; not good for sore hands and wrists! Wasn't good for my allergies either. I definitely would not ever buy another feather bed, unless I had a reliable volunteer to take care of the thing!

I finally bought a new mattress, which is a combination of memory foam and gel. It has a GREAT feel to it and is quite comfortable on the pressure points while providing enough support for my back. It's not hot either. I absolutely would consider a combination topper. There are a lot of them out there on Overstock and Amazon. If you are near a Sam's or Costco, you might check there, too. I am happy to share the brand with you, but don't want to violate any discussion forum rules by mentioning names. If you are interested, message me, and I'll be happy to disclose. :-)

Good luck in your quest for a good night's sleep!

I have bought one that's adjustble and another gel mattress. We bought one of those foam mattresses but had to send it back. The next morning after sleeping on it I was in alot worse shape. I knew right away I couldn't use that one. Between the 2 I use the adjustable. I need the head up . But to be honest neither gives me a good nights rest. Can't sleep flat on any matress. Neither mattress was cheap either.That has been a big problem in our home, My husband could sleep on a rock so he's buying these for me and when I can't sleep on them it does disappoint the both of us especially with what they cost! The best advice I can give you is make sure they have a return policy. This PsA is a weird diease. We never know what will work for us til we try it out and laying on it in te store won't work. This last one we bought I layed on it for quiet awhile got it home I still have problems with it.

@Seenie

This is intriguing. I did not know these existed. I look into them more. My hubby hates the idea of foam of any kind, citing that they 1) don't hold up and therefore are a waste of $, 2) they are hot to sleep on. So, wool toppers may fit the bill! Thanks

Seenie said:

Well, I was looking for a memory foam mattress pad last year and I came across this:

http://www.dreamsoftbedware.com/coyuchi.html

DH and I sleep on a split king (two XL twins pushed together) so I wasn't into the biggest bucks, but it was still pretty expensive. I hemmed and hawed and finally I ordered one. After one night on the snugfleece and I was hooked! After a week, I ordered one for the RV, and then I ordered the pillow sham.

It is soft but supportive, warm but not sweaty. I absolutely love it.

Seenie

@rtiller,

Sounds like our story too. We diligently shopped for a mattress last summer and I spent loads of time at the store. My test was to lay down on my side and see which mattress took the longest for my hip to hurt. Hubs likes a firm mattress and would not touch a memory foam type with a ten foot pole. This was even after I'd been a guest where they had a 15 year old top of the line memory foam mattress that I had the pleasure of sleeping on. It was the best night's sleep I'd ever had, then and since! Hubs however, is not convinced. I am nervous to get one, because the PsA is so darned finicky. If we spent tons of money and were still disappointed, that would stink! Meanwhile, the mattress we purchased last year turned out to be a dud, but we didn't figure that out until 3 months later. The one-month trial period that some companies offer is not enough it seems. :(

rtiller said:

I have bought one that's adjustble and another gel mattress. We bought one of those foam mattresses but had to send it back. The next morning after sleeping on it I was in alot worse shape. I knew right away I couldn't use that one. Between the 2 I use the adjustable. I need the head up . But to be honest neither gives me a good nights rest. Can't sleep flat on any matress. Neither mattress was cheap either.That has been a big problem in our home, My husband could sleep on a rock so he's buying these for me and when I can't sleep on them it does disappoint the both of us especially with what they cost! The best advice I can give you is make sure they have a return policy. This PsA is a weird diease. We never know what will work for us til we try it out and laying on it in te store won't work. This last one we bought I layed on it for quiet awhile got it home I still have problems with it.