Massage and PsA

What are the ins and outs of getting massage when you have PsA?

Is it safe?

When is it not safe?

I had a massage that caused a major flare in my upper body, and when I mentioned that in the "Flare" topic, I learned a lot about why, and learned that many others had no idea how massage can affect people with PsA, especially those of us with spondylitis, so I thought I'd open up discussion here. Lamb had a lot of good info, so I'm hoping he won't mind explaining again!

The quality and training of massage therapist varies. As do the styles and types of massage. Consider this (from the massage therapy people;)

"When a client is having a flare-up, the affected cells are hyperactive. Thus, increasing energy or circulation in that area could aggravate the condition. Therapists must remember that psoriasis can also be triggered by skin trauma."

http://www.integrativehealthcare.org/mt/archives/2010/01/using_mass...

I'm trying to figure out what doesn't flare isn't on the edge etc etc..... (thats just me) From this article (a discussion beween therapists:

"Spondylitis is characterized by inflammation of the spine. The inflammation can lead to damage to the vertebrae of the spine.

"this can cause loosening of the ligaments that maintain the normal positions of one vertebrae on another. This is a dangerous situation because if the vertebrae suddenly slip in relation to each other, it is possible to permanently injure the spinal cord in the neck."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15957

There is just to many variables to be comfortable with the thing. As I said I get massages, they are very topical (more like Swedish) an d related only to muscle spasm. You need to be cleared by your doctor and have very specific instructions, and I would suggest someone with much more training than a 6 month course from a school of massage (even if they have passed the certification exam)

Our disease is ever changing (DUH) we grow osteophytes little bony things in our spine if we have the spondylitis type. Aggresive massage breaks one off, and we are screwed. Because we have inflammation we grow syndesmophytes which are a form of osteophyte that forms at the insertion point of tendons manipulation of these can and will cause permanent pain (especially the shoulders and hands). Occasionally surgery can correct it. Massage therapists LOVE working the shoulders lots of muscles and of stress. They can really make difference working that area (just not a good place for us.)

I'm not talking all massage, especially that really comforting "rub " I had a "massage in a turret of the walled city in Rhodes over looking the Mediterranean Sea I will NEVER forget (it was mostly rubbing in warm oil) just be aware that those trying to do us good can EASILY do harm. Never work any place that hurts never joints and never deep. Always check with your doctor.

Thanks, Lamb!

I find this intersting. I will talk with my RMT. I have always found massage helpful when it comes to tight muscles. Thank you for bringing this topic up.

Very interesting! Thank for sharing!

I’m so sorry you had to go through all of this, Laura! Sounds totally scary! I don’t know if this is something you feel comfortable doing, but I would certainly go to the police about that incident outside the hospital.

Laura E D said:

Is it safe? When is it not safe? The quality and training of massage therapist varies...as does their professional registration and police record check (CRB)!

The other day whilst returning home from a hospital appointment I was accosted on the street by a man, looking somewhat worse for wear, who was babbling complete nonsense. I politely extricated myself in as non-contentious a manner as I could manage, and hurried along my way. A scary, and deeply unpleasant encounter.

I was pretty sure that this guy was a Sports Massage Therapist who had been working on my shoulder a few years ago at an internationally known name brand therapies clinic. Back then he said and did a few things that pushed my parameters and made me feel uncomfortable, so I changed therapists. He had mentioned that his partner works in medical admin hence would potentially have access to my doctors appointment times and medical info. In the here and now, his colleague has now contacted me via my LinkedIn account.

So, massage can leave you feeling stalked and harassed for years afterwards!

What I also looked into is that in the UK, Physiotherapists must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and undergo Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks. I don 't know if this makes them a 'safer' massage therapist option, but there is at least a structured complaints process in place for when things do go wrong.