Lyrica

I saw my doc today & she wants me to try Lyrica again. This time for my rib pain. She told me my rib pain is at the insertion points.
I don’t know why but I got upset,I didn’t want to add another pill to my medications. Anyway I eventually said I would try it short term to see if it helped mainly because I’m desperate to get back on the treadmill.
Also it’s been nearly five months since my shoulder surgery & it’s still painful & my range of motion is not good. She said the Lyrica might help. Does this make sense,I guess I’m a little confused to what I thought Lyrica was used for.

Does she think you also have fibro. If you do, lyrica can be helpful. I found it helpful for fibro

I wonder if the doctor thinks that your rib pain is fibromyalgia?? Lyrica is used for fibromyalgia pain and also pain from diabetic neuropathy but sometimes doctors prescribe it for other types of pain. Shoulder surgery sucks. Don't push yourself too hard and you don't want to mask that pain too much because it sounds like your body is saying STOP.

Lyrica is commonly being used for pain managrment.The have found the way it binds slows down the pain response. BUT you fave to follow directions to the tee. Do not stop without direction and take it the very same time everyday. It has been a miracle drug for many.

I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics of your shoulder surgery. But if your Doc told you anything less than 6 mos to start to have pain free moments and a year to feel normal he is a liar. The only way to speed things up is throigh aggresive and yes painful PT. If you take it easy, it can be many more months. Remember they cut through all your muscles to to the surgery be it repair or replacement.

Yeah I do have an aggressive PT,I haven’t seen him in two weeks due to vacation. I don’t think it helped that in trying to stop two bottles of hot sauce falling from the top shelf,I automatically reached up and in doing so nearly passed out from the pain. I should of let them fall.
Surgery was rotator cuff repair,AC joint shaved & a good ole clean up. When I saw my rheumi doc yesterday she seemed to think I shouldn’t still have pain. I see my shoulder doc next week.

As for the Lyrica,I’ve had it before,used it before my back surgeries,I guess I just wasn’t sure how it could help this horrible rib pain. She doesn’t think it’s fibromyalgia,she did say it’s exactly where the insertion points are.

Another question for you Lamb, she also asked if I had used any anti depressants before,she seemed to think that a certain type may help me. I’m not depressed but wondered if you knew of a particular kind that is used for pain relief? Thanks all.

The antidepressants she is speaking of are like cymbalta or Paxil. The ones in the SSRI family have been found to help with pain from fibro.

Did she clearly state that she doesn’t think it’s fibro? It really sounds like she is treating you for it, or at least gearing that way.

I don’t think she does,she is using this to see if it helps with the rib pain. I don’t have pain in the classic fibro spots. My rib pain is specifically at all the insertion points. I didn’t think that was a fibro issue.
Anyways I took one last night & I feel a little spacey this morning. I need it to work as I want to get back on the treadmill!

The tricyclics are often used in a pain managment scheme at very low dose. There is a ton of materials out there about their effectiveness with arthritis pain. The most common is amitriptilene. As far as the rib pain goes remember they are attached to the spine. Inlammation at the insertion point can cause all manner of pain lyrica makes all kinds of sense as its pretty darn effective for thst nerve irritation.

I'm sorry to bevgiggling at your hot sauce attack, but it does make quite a picture. I've been there too. As I was bemoaning my situation I was told, it prolly did more for my recovery than a week of PT. She did mention though, getting PO'd at stuck seat belt and giving it a good yank was NOT a good thing. Good luck with your work, it will come.......