Little story

One hot summer a person with PsA got a rash on her chest. Nasty burning, itchy thing that started creeping up to her ears. Her throat was a little uncomfortable and tight too, though this wasn’t all that unusual. She had been taking a biosimilar, Imraldi, for 5 months after a successful 7-year relationship with Humira.

The person found that the rash came and went and the coming and going more or less fitted into the two week Imraldi dosage pattern. She phoned the hospital advice line and told a very nice woman called Deb what was happening. Deb did the only thing she could in the circumstances and told the spotty, itchy person to stop Imraldi because if it was the culprit there was an outside chance of anaphylactic shock.

Another woman, also called Deb, instantly started arranging for a switch to another biosimilar called Amgevita. (People called Deb are really proactive, kind and helpful). The person waited for news of Amgevita but everything went quiet. So, meanwhile, she started experimenting with another potential allergen, Nivea Factor 50. Every now and then she’d slather the stuff on, even though it wasn’t so sunny anymore. The mean ol’ rash did not return.

Then the sun came out. The person tried again with the sun lotion but this time she used it 3 days running and went out in the sun. At the end of the 3 days, with just a week to go till her long-awaited rheumy appointment, back came the rash with a vengeance.

The person explained what had happened to the rheumy nurse. Then she explained it to the rheumatologist. Then, for good measure, she explained it again to the researcher whose study she’s enrolled on. Now she’s relaying it to you. She will never mention this bloody business again.

Upshot: Rheumy and nurse agreed that that particular brand of sun lotion + sun most likely caused the rash and has re-instated Imraldi. Meanwhile, shame-faced person has been without a biologic for a month, which is not long but still too long. Nurse had the good grace to say that she wished more people would experiment in the same way. That’s why I’ve posted.

1 Like

It’s a good thing you did some experimentation.

My daughter had something happen like this when she had started a new med. Swelling in her face, red, etc. Visit to the pediatrician and all. The med was stopped, and it happened again a few weeks later. Weird. So we went through everything, lotions, cleaners, and whatnot. Turns out she’s allergic to witch hazel. Now she knows to read labels of all cleaners, because for some reason a 17 year old girl doesn’t like walking around with her face all red and puffy.

2 Likes

That’s astonishing. But good astonishing. Because it’s wonderfully simple to fix, finally. And because you’re sensible and rational you did a coherent test on it and found the culprit and the answer. Just remember you wouldn’t have found this out if you hadn’t stopped Imraldi though. But so well done you! :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

Good point!

1 Like

When it comes to allergic reactions I learned a long time ago I usually had to figure out what it was. But, you had to suspect the change in meds first. When this type of thing happens you need to sit down and make a list titled “What did I change?” Allergic reactions may not come on fast, sometimes the chemical has to build up in your system. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

2 Likes