Life will be changing late this year/early next

Having the flu for a month gives you a lot of time to think especially about something that happened the first time of the twice you were in the hospital in one week.

One of the nurses asked me what I did and I said I was a criminal defense lawyer working as a public defender. She asked if I liked my job. I said I loved my job but I realized as I told her that the stupidity/management were beginning to have an impact on how much I do. As a colleague said, doing a job which sucks your soul on a good day but also has soul sucking components like stupid management has to begin to take more than you have to give. And you just get done. He’s absolutely right.

Anyway, long story short, Paul and I talked on February 4. I’ve made an appointment with our Retirement people in order to start planning my retirement sometime late this year or early next. The look on his face (relief?) when I told him what I was thinking told me I was on the right track. Then when I told my close colleague, who when we were talking said he could see and hear how very at peace I am with going out on my terms, just reinforced that. Everybody I’ve told (private Facebook group, three retirees who are friends, all sworn to secrecy) have all said my health would improve (and it will) with less stress.

I’d like to do some adjunct teaching so I’ll look into that. I realize 9-18 months is a bit of time but I’m beginning to think about “last times” of doing things, including doing a presentation at my agency’s annual get-together.

Not that I’ve ddone it all, but I’ve done a lot: only death penalty work for 15 years, appeals work for 16 years by the time I retire, management for almost ten, trial work. I don’t have anything else to prove, other than to leave doing the kind of work I want to do.

The other thing which tells me I’m on the right track is that the weight on my shoulders is less than it was.

4 Likes

But when you start dancing at concerts again the weight will be on your knees just when you got new shoulders!

Congrats!!

2 Likes

I’m threatening to conga out the door on my last day. I may need to stop every five steps, but that seems a good way to leave.

1 Like

Good for you, 6CL. This decision is one that you have made with your eyes open, and I’m guessing that you’ve been thinking about it for a while. I think you and your husband will both be happy with the decision.

1 Like

Hi @sixcatlawyer. Here’s hoping that you start to relax into the promise of retirement and begin to let go of the toil and strife a little everyday! Congratulations on a smart move for self care!

2 Likes

That sounds like a great plan! Probably an interesting alternative to what you’ve been doing, and it would no doubt be part-time and limited to an academic year. If you don’t like it, at least you can say you gave it a try!

My job is part-time and easy “book work”…20 hours a week…if it wasn’t part-time, I’d definitely be considering retirement in 1-1/2 years (66) but I might hold out longer.

Supposedly Medicare won’t pay for Enbrel and if it’s still working well for me at 66, I feel like I don’t have much choice. I don’t want to risk changing biologics and being sorry I stopped Enbrel if something else doesn’t work for me.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do—maybe it’ll end up being extensive travel. That would be the ultimate retirement plan!

1 Like