Lessons in Life

When asked about her condition, one member consistently responds:

"I have had a difficult journey but have become such a kinder, wiser person in the process."

Which reaffirms: Yes, it is possible to take out something positive from our conditions, including our illnesses and experiences!

How about you? What life lessons have you learned from having your illness? It may be a struggle, but has it helped you develop certain qualities that make your life (and those around you) more meaningful?

I think I have also had the epiphany happen to me. I am totaly not the same person I used to be. I am way more understanding and considerate. I now tend to think before I react. And, I think this has made me a more happy person.

How haven’t I changed would be a more appropriate question! The most important change has come from my own experiences with pain. Everyone already knew that I am nurse. I started in the ER even before graduation as a CNA. Working in the ER really impacted my ability to look at patients with pain without a whole lot of suspicion. There are many patients that frequent the ER with drug seeking behavior who will lie to get narcotics. It was a rule of thumb that the longer the patient’s tale of woe was, the more full of s$@t they were. Even though I no longer work in the ER, this experience has left a dark cloud in my nursing experience, and my care for patients was clouded by that experience.

I am actually glad that I have had the opportunity to have this experience wi chronic pain. I know it sounds crazy, but I never would have been able to truly understand and empathize with my patients if this hadn’t happened to me. It has forever changed me as a nurse. I will never again discount a person’s perception of their pain. That pain is uniquely theirs and my job is to provide support, education, and respect for each person, regardless of their history. I have felt how humiliating it is to be treated like a junkie by doctors and nurses. Those were horrible experiences that make me afraid to be honest with providers because their judgement is too harsh and cruel. These experiences will forever color my interactions with other providers. No one deserves that, not even patients who have a problem within abusing prescription drugs. This is especially true as I believe that most people with prescription drug abuse addiction were initially introduced to the drugs by their physicians legally. Everyone deserves my respect, honesty, and support.

I am now able to empathize with my patients on a whole new level.i am able to tailor nursing care to better support patients who have chronic pain. I can use my experiences to make sure that each of my patients feel that they can be open, honest, and safe sharing their stories with me and that they will not be judged in any way.

Awesome thoughts, GrumpyCat!

GrumpyCat said:

How haven't I changed would be a more appropriate question! The most important change has come from my own experiences with pain. Everyone already knew that I am nurse. I started in the ER even before graduation as a CNA. Working in the ER really impacted my ability to look at patients with pain without a whole lot of suspicion. There are many patients that frequent the ER with drug seeking behavior who will lie to get narcotics. It was a rule of thumb that the longer the patient's tale of woe was, the more full of s$@t they were. Even though I no longer work in the ER, this experience has left a dark cloud in my nursing experience, and my care for patients was clouded by that experience.

I am actually glad that I have had the opportunity to have this experience wi chronic pain. I know it sounds crazy, but I never would have been able to truly understand and empathize with my patients if this hadn't happened to me. It has forever changed me as a nurse. I will never again discount a person's perception of their pain. That pain is uniquely theirs and my job is to provide support, education, and respect for each person, regardless of their history. I have felt how humiliating it is to be treated like a junkie by doctors and nurses. Those were horrible experiences that make me afraid to be honest with providers because their judgement is too harsh and cruel. These experiences will forever color my interactions with other providers. No one deserves that, not even patients who have a problem within abusing prescription drugs. This is especially true as I believe that most people with prescription drug abuse addiction were initially introduced to the drugs by their physicians legally. Everyone deserves my respect, honesty, and support.

I am now able to empathize with my patients on a whole new level.i am able to tailor nursing care to better support patients who have chronic pain. I can use my experiences to make sure that each of my patients feel that they can be open, honest, and safe sharing their stories with me and that they will not be judged in any way.

Isn't it just amazing, Robert?

Robert said:

I think I have also had the epiphany happen to me. I am totaly not the same person I used to be. I am way more understanding and considerate. I now tend to think before I react. And, I think this has made me a more happy person.

I think the biggest change is that I am a lot more MINDFUL. I notice things that I overlooked a lot more. It is really easy to get caught up in our busy lives and not stop to see what is around us. The simplest form of this I could explain is that it is similar to how I started noticing my body more. Joints and parts that I never even thought about got my attention with the pain. From tiny joints in my toes to a vertebrae on my back. I remember telling my family I never knew so many parts could hurt. I think this alterness spread to other parts, the sunset on the way home during a busy commute, a gentle breeze outside, even things about my family members I had never noticed. Its like my eyes were half closed before and now I am privy to more things. I think this also came from having to shift priorities with this disease. I got rid of a lot of useless things that were in my life and that I realized didnt matter. Letting go of these things gave me a lot more. I also work in healthcare and like GrumpyCat, I can empathize with my patients a lot more.This was a great post, its a lot we need to think about instead of focusing on the bad.

Living with psoriatic arthritis has been one of the biggest blessings in my life! My perspective on what's important in life, what I put value on, and what I want out of life has changed dramatically. I walk (or wheel!) through life with much more appreciation and gratitude.

I blog a lot about how psoriatic arthritis has changed my life for the better.

http://rannygahoots.blogspot.com/2011/09/life-partner.html

I am not afraid to say "NO" anymore and feel guilty about saying "NO". I do things that I want to do not what other people want me to do. Don't get me wrong, I am still active in my children's schools, activities at church and family but I am no longer running myself ragged. I am enjoying my slower pace which will hopefully reduce my stress.

With this peace of mind that I am gaining control of my life, my family and friends have found me more pleasant to be around.

Isn't it interesting that it takes a disease to make me slow down and enjoy life more. What does that say about me?

I've learned how little it takes to really be happy. It's not stuff or grand vacations and events it's the little things that make life very special.

What I've come to realize is...the pain my Mom has gone through with this disease. I had no idea what she truly was feeling/ the pain she was enduring when she'd say her joints hurt her. Now when she says that, I can empathize...and I've only had to bear it for three years. Also, I take medication to help; she never did. Overall, I guess I can say that I am much empathetic and sympathetic to others' pain...

I have learned what is important that must get done and how much I can leave or ignore.

Perspective. Sounds like many of us are talking about "perspective." Appreciating the details of life, like tiny joints. Appreciating the pain and suffering of others.

I have learned humility (or am still trying to). I am Type A and still working in the corporate world. Pain and symptoms make day-to-day office politics and stressors seem minor. I am no longer the fastest, earliest, most thorough and that's okay. If it's not okay, then I will know to go elsewhere.

My Oh My....what a wonderful discussion!! Thank you. I also am a nurse (35 years!!), and can relate to everything Grumpy cat wrote of. I learned at a young age (32) while working as a Hospice nurse, that the greatest challenge for my clients, was being given the opportunity and time to talk and to be listened to. The isolation of not being given the chance to talk was great, I never forgot that lesson and have used it all my life....to truly listen to people. But when I became sick with PsA, I learned even more. All I needed, wanted was someone to listen. No interuptions, no judgement, no solutions....so many people don't have the time or are fearful to spend time with someone who is battling an illness. I have learned so much. I have taken this wisdom and realized that what truly defines me as a person....is my faith, family, patience, kindness, gentleness, truly listening to people, being respectful, humble and non-judgemental. This illness helped strip away all the rest.....and for that I am soooo Grateful!! Sure, I make mistakes all the time....but I pick myself up, dust myself off and start again!! I find that I smile and laugh alot more now....like at myself, when I am trying to get my socks on in the morning!! It is quite a sight!!!

Take Care and enjoy your day!!

Incredible discussion Armando....Thank you !!!

Thank you for all for your Posts. I have learned from your wisdom and agree with you all !!!

Tracy Z.