Just turned 30, new PsA dx, cosentyx, need tips

I just turned 30 last week and I’m still coming to terms with my PsA diagnosis from October… I have a 2 (almost 3) yo and a 19 mo…i work part time as an RN…my pain is so overwhelming, consuming, and debilitating sometimes I can’t help but just cry. I need some lifestyle tips to help me please! my dermatologist started me on cosentyx referred me to Rheumatologist, I see my rheumatologist for second time on Thursday and he will be switching me off cosentyx if I’m still in pain (obviously I foresee I will be switching then)…had severe psoriasis for my entire life so I’ve been on methotrexate, enbrel before. Had melanoma so certain drugs ruled out too. Ibuprofen and Aleve only take the edge off. Any advice welcome regarding anything about the disease and what to expect. I’ve got a lifetime of it!! Down, but not out, I know this. :worried::muscle: thanks in advance! I should also note, after first rheumatologist visit he gave me steroid injection that gave me life again, I was really really good for a few days and pretty dang good for a couple weeks!

2 Likes

Hi there and welcome,

How long have you been on Consentyx? It can be a slow burner for some - so you really shouldn’t be switching unless you’ve been on it at least 4 months but preferably 6 months. Has it helped your psoriasis?

2 Likes

Hi awilson. Welcome!
My heart goes out to you. I have 4 kids and 12 grandkids and I fear some of them will end up with onset of PsA earlier in their life. I was lucky in that mine developed slowly and I didn’t need meds until my 50s.
Hang around here and you will get the encouragement and advice you need. You’re in a difficult place right now, but with so many biologics available these days there will be something that works for you. I agree with Poo, it might take awhile before Cosentyx works.
Also, the steroids help so much but they can’t be used long term. I was given a prednisone burst (or whatever they call it) and I felt like I was walking on air! I begged my rheumy for more, but he insisted I move on to a biologic at that time. I was lucky Enbrel worked really well right away, but after 5 years (and being 66 years old) I don’t feel as good as I’d like, so I’m not sure if Enbrel is as effective as it should be. It doesn’t do much for my psoriasis, that’s for sure!
Ugh, it’s not fun. The babies are a blessing for you in that hopefully their sweetness brings many smiles to your face. You mentioned you cry—have you thought about something to suppress that sadness? I had some overwhelming sadness for awhile and finally decided to take an anti-depressant/anxiety med. It’s only 25mg of sertraline, but it helps.
This is what works for me…I hope you find what works for you—and ASAP! Glad to hear you have another rheumy appointment coming up.
Keep in touch here—there are hundreds of caring people who want nothing but the best outcome for you!

2 Likes

Thanks for your heartfelt response! My babies definitely keep me going!
Yes, my rheumatologist was hesitant to give me that kenalog injection and it won’t be routine treatment…he opted to keep me on the cosentyx for now (only been on it 3 months) since it’s helping my psoriasis so much. He wants to add Otezla in combination with Cosentyx!? And then gave me Celexa Rx instead of using Aleve. Referred me to a naturopath specializing in rheumatology so I’m maot looking forward to that! Hopeful for a plan, even on a really bad pain day as today. I’m already seeing a therapist for the crying thing ha, and I tried fluoxetine but had an allergic skin reaction so now I am not ready to try another yet with all the other meds I’m trying :smirk:. Thanks again for your encouragement!

2 Likes

So pleased you’re staying on Cosentyx right now. I know someone whose psoriasis cleared up really fast like yours has, but she didn’t start to find it worked on her PsA symptoms until month 5 and she felt better and better come month 6, 7 and 8. So do hang in there if you can.

Keep with the talking therapy too, rather than the anti-depressants if you can. There’s a huge grief process with PsA regardless of age. Having that type of support rather than yet more meds can really help you through that. x

2 Likes

I should mention the overwhelming sadness I had was probably from a statin I took (Crestor). My doctor took me off it and that helped, too. The sertraline is mainly for my anxiety. I also don’t advise rushing into taking anti-depressants or anxiety meds. I typically don’t rush into taking any meds (that’s why my PsA was untreated for several years). But, when I got sad, it was really sad. I’d cry for no reason and feel really hopeless. And my kids kept telling me I needed something for anxiety. It has mellowed me out quite a bit, and it’s a child’s dose. :blush:

1 Like

On the practical side these are some of the things I do. I have cut back on household duties where ever I can as an example - I use to change my sheets every week I now do it fortnightly . I dust less often and I don’t put everything in the wash if it is clean enough to wear again. I look around the room and pick up as I go from room to room. I shop for groceries on line and have them delivered. I have a slow cooker and often cook one pot meals. I buy gadgets that help like a spray mop so I don’t have to drag a bucket around. I cut out going to meetings and only go to outings that I really want to go to.
I do prep work in the kitchen and store vegetables ready to cook in the fridge. I use kitchen gadgets that help with my hands, elbows and shoulders. I use up my extra time taking extra rest breaks.
I use hot and cold packs on sore joints. You can’t go past eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep and drinking plenty of water. Tai Chi is a good gentle exercise. Be kind to yourself. Ask for help. I am sure you will think of more ways to help you cope.

4 Likes

Biologics are a miracle.
I’m 64 and was diagnosed with PsA about 5 years ago. It was terrible.
I took Enbrel for a couple of years (became allergic) and now take Humira.
I had a Basal Cell Carcinoma removed…but, if it was related to the biologic,
it’s a small price to pay for being able to live comfortably.
Keep at it, and I wish you the best of health.

6 Likes

My daughter was diagnosed at 20. The two years after her diagnosis were the most difficult and the doctors put her on all kinds of meds before insurance would pay for Humira. The biologic worked for her - but she is off of Humira now and trying to go without meds. She is afraid of what the biologics are are doing to her system and her PsA has remained in remission without Humira for a few years now.

Unfortunately, so many doctors prescribed her pain meds early on in her disease, that she became addicted to opiates. She then had a problem … on top of a problem. She has been clean for two years but it’s been a tough go.

She takes it one day at a time. I try to support her in the best way a mom can. My advice is to take it one day at a time and lean on others who are a good support system for you.

3 Likes

Thank you for your encouragement! I am hopeful it will start to help the PsA with more time. I wholeheartedly agree about not too many other medications if necessary, I’m staying away from antidepressants if I can! My therapist has been really helping. Thanks again!

3 Likes

So sorry to hear of your daughter’s early diagnosis and struggles. Addiction is not bias to anyone. I wish her the best! Hearing she has remission without meds is a huge encouragement, thank you!

1 Like

Thank you!!! These were the type of tips I especially wanted to hear!

1 Like

Just to be clear, my anxiety med isn’t an opioid, it’s Sertraline, which is a SSRI. I’ve never taken opiates and highly doubt I ever will.
It’s sad some doctors so readily write prescriptions for that stuff! I’m so sorry what happened to your daughter.
I never knew what depression was—I honestly never had any of it until the Crestor experience. And, it was overwhelming and scary. I used to think people should just be happy and content—and just “suck it up”—regardless of their life situation—but when I was depressed, my emotional state was out of my control. And I’m sure mine wasn’t severe depression. I now have a better understanding and empathy for people suffering from depression.

2 Likes

I’m in a bit different situation from you in that I have both PsA and asthma. However, I inject two biologics, one for each.

I started Cosentyx in the spring of last year and didn’t get much relief until I started Fasenra–a biologic–for the asthma. As nearly as rheumatology and pulmonary can figure out, Cosentyx helped the inflammation from PsA but was being overwhelmed because the lung inflammation from the asthma was out of control. Now that both sources of inflammation are under better control, I’m feeling better.

I haven’t had a flare of either to the point where I needed a steroid burst in six months or more (I’m knocking on wood). I had an ablation to my lumbar nerves (L3-L5). I’m not in pain from that damage and am working on the thoracic area issues caused by compensating for the lumbar crap. Otherwise, I would have what I call background pain and truthfully, there have been days I’ve had only background pain.

Today isn’t one but we have rain coming in, which means I’m a human barometer.

That’s a long-winded way of saying two biologics work!

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight!! Gosh I hope they work for me too. After a week on the Otezla on top of Cosentyx (and new Celebrex too instead of Aleve) got a call that insurance denied Otezla addition so Rheumatologist is recommending Arava on top of Cosentyx etc. I’ve been on MTX in the past and am not looking forward to another DMARD especially with my Melanoma hx🤔

Hi awilson, I am a nurse too and I had two sons at home when I began having symptoms. My psoriasis was bad too. Began around age 8 or 9, got severe in nursing school and still worse when we moved states away from my family. I was treated for muscle pain for years before the nail changes, redness and swelling happened, leading to the PsA diagnosis. Enbrel worked then didn’t, Humira the same and the last was Cimzia but the side effects were unbearable and I stopped using it in October. I use heat pads, rest, work 5 hours or less a week, applied for and got disability, have help cleaning, use sous vide or crock pot to cook. I only schedule two events on a single day. I steam rather than iron clothes. Bought a spin brush charged cleaner for bathtub and areas that need scrubbing. Helps wrists and shoulders. I do get some prescription pain meds but I have spine problems in addition to arthritis and use sparingly. Methotrexate worked so well until weight dropped below 80 pounds from the side effects. I do what I can, have had therapy for the emotional component and look up as much as I can. Sleep is huge. I hope you can adjust and still enjoy your life. Anger is part of the grief process so expect some of that. Sorry you got this.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear of your suffering but it does make me feel better to hear such a similar situation! Thank you for the encouragement and support! I keep hoping I get controlled enough where I can continue to work but as I could barely do my BLS re-cert the other day among other dailies at work I fear I won’t be able to continue nursing :sob: thank you for the practical daily tips, these I need most! Also, I see you are in CdA! I’m in Spokane! What a nice coincidence. Thanks again for your advice!

Hi

I just read your note.
a couple of things as I am a newbie on this tuff. I had a melanoma also 20 yrs ago. I was diagnosed this year with PsA. I had small patches of Psoriasis all my life but not too bad. Based on melanoma and pain threshold I decided to hold off on drugs for now and go diet and other anti-inflammatory things like cbd…

I have changed my diet, reduced gluten, more vegs and fish. I have a killer green drink to start my day(kale, lemon water, chia/f;ax, fresh ginger/tumeric, ashwagnda , blue berries, prsley, celery)

i also drink a ton of lemon water during the day. I use a tens machine for my shoulders which is where my pain is isolated towards. this is combination with vitamin iv drips once a month, yoga and deep muscle massage has greatly reduced my pain.

depending on where you live you can qualify for medical marijuana which has tons of
options many which are things that arent just to get you high. Daily gym has also helped me.

best of luck and you dont know unless you try all options. I took the holistic option has proved to be a lifesaver in the early rounds.

DF

1 Like

I can’t believe you’re in Spokane! Where do you work?

1 Like

Also, who and where is your rheumy? I see Mueller at Arthritis Northwest even though I’m in Idaho

1 Like