Just diagnosed with PsA

Anyone remember their initial starting dose prednisone and for how long after having an initial dramatic poly articular flaire. I started with an initial presentation of diffuse swelling hands, feet, Achilles and knees. Now waiting for biologic approval.

Not everyone is started on prednisone. It can be a diagnostic tool as well as used to quiet things down, but is not used for everyone. My rheumatologist started me off on NSAIDs only, as I was lucky enough to be diagnosed pretty early in the disease.

That's great that your doctor is getting you on a biologic already.

Like Stoney suggests, rheumatologists take different approaches. And each of us responds so differently to prednisone that a baseline dosage or routine usage is probably hard to establish. I was on 20mg for a good while (it helped a LOT at first then it got really annoying to take). And though I no longer take it regularly there are times during a flare that my rheumatologist suggests I take prednisone (usually a short course 10-14 days of 10mg). In all cases, it is essential to taper off the medication.

BUT, BUT, BUT, prednisone is quite controversial and MANY people here and MANY doctors don't like to use it. There are serious side effects which some people get and others don't. Talk to your doctor about how much and for how long you will take prednisone and please know how to taper off it when your treatment course is complete (there's often some 1/2 pills involved at the end so I usually end up making check marks on the prescription bottle so I know where I'm at with the dose taper). Good luck and I hope your biologic is approved quickly by your insurance.

I don't like prednisone for treatment. Now if I have very sick or having a bad flare I will take some very short term to help things heal. Not on a daily medication, no. I started on a strong anti-inflammatory, twice daily.