Introduction & Antibiotic Protocol Questions

Hi,

Thanks to all of you for putting your stories out there, it helps so much to be able to hear from other people afflicted with PsA rather than insensitive doctors or misunderstanding friends. Apart from the obvious physical pain the most difficult thing I have encountered is the lack of understanding from others, especially people close to me. I know I am going to get de-sensitized to this as I get more accepting of everything, but the only people I know who can empathize so far are those who also have arthritis or other serious health conditions.

I am 34 and have recently been diagnosed with PsA. I work as an electrician and I so far have grit my teeth and not taken any time off due to this condition and when I have rested it has made no difference to the pain levels.

I currently have no skin condition and have one toenail effected, which I had previously thought was fungal until pathology disproved that.

My symptoms started approximately 3 years ago with unexplained SI joint pain that went undiagnosed until recently.

We had our first baby in May 2011 which coincided with my first "flare Up" a few weeks after. I woke up with a sore swollen toe which turned into a painful flexor tenosynovitis underneath the foot. Then a few weeks after my knee swelled up rapidly and I had a ruptured bakers cyst. A few weeks after that my jaw suddenly hurt one night and has been sore ever since. After doing the rounds with podiatrists, physio, massage & gp's I and lots of pathology testing I finally was diagnosed by a Rheumatologist with PsA.

I have been surviving on Naproxen daily as my only medication, apart from Herbal Anti Inflam, Vit D, Fish Oil, etc.

My Rheumatologist wants to start me on MTX in the new year and I am concerned about the path of toxic medications ahead. I have been on elimination diets and low nightshade diets for a few months, but have not noticed any difference so far.

Has anyone here had experience with Antibiotic Treatment for PsA and if so what results did you have?

I have read "The New Arthritis Breakthrough" by Henry Scammel and I have only heard positive anecdotal evidence from other people, mostly RA afflicted though on the Road Back Foundation website.

Regardless of what others think I feel treatment with antibiotics is low risk/high possible return and I am determined to try it and if unsuccessful I can go to the DMARDS and Biologics later.

I am hunting down an experienced Antibiotic Protocol Doctor in my area and I am keen to trial this treatment and will let the rest of you know how I progress.

Dave

Hi Dave, Welcome to the wonderful world of PsA (not). I recently read a book regarding arthritis/antibiotics and was very intrigued. I have already started my treatment with methotrexate and so far I have had a reduction in some of the pain and no real serious side effects. It is my opinion that most doctors in the USA don't associate arthritis and antibiotics yet. It could be worth a try.