(im)patient journey

My rheumy asked my GP to refer me for a liver scan in another hospital as they don't have the necessary equipment at the hospital I go to. That was back in early November and as I haven't heard anything yet the practice nurse at the GP surgery suggested I phone the liver scan place to check what's happening. So that's what I did.

Bit of a wait to get through to reception, but I got to listen to some very jolly music. The person who eventually answered thought (as did I and the practice nurse) that I needed to talk to radiology. Bit of a wait and I don't think there was any music. Radiology said I needed their booking office. Bit of a wait etc. The booking office had never heard of me. But when I repeated what the procedure was they said ah, that would be gastro-enterology I needed. So they tried to put me through. Bit of a wait, possibly more jolly music but not jolly enough to make me hang on for longer than 5 minutes. Back to the main reception, b-o-a-w, who tried another number for me, more b-o-a-w plus sort of jolly hunting music with french horns so I started dancing and miming doing my own bl**dy liver scan by pretending to stab myself repeatedly in the belly with a ballpoint pen.

Okay, I'll skip the next few steps. Eventually I found my way to a certain Dr B's secretary. She was able to tell me that I was down as a routine referral which meant I might have to wait a very long time. And that if my rheumy wanted it any quicker he'd have to do something about it. Meanwhile she put me through to another booking office with the same taste in music, just in case. End result: the bloke I spoke to decided to make an appointment for me there and then, for early February.

I've learnt a few things from this. Mainly, don't even pretend to stab yourself with a pen out of sheer frustration because you might still end up with a sore tum.

This is weird though ..... Just had a text from GP to say that my ALT levels have returned to normal. That just never happens. It's magic posting here!

So maybe I won't need that liver scan. All I can think that may have made a difference is taking Folic Acid 6 days a week instead of once a week. Rheumy thought that would be worth a shot & in fact the same thing had already occurred to me.

Don't you hate those left hand/right hand anybody/everybody/somebody/nobody situations?? Grrrr. If you didn't have high blood pressure before, this kind of phone interaction would put you over the edge!

Glad your ALT levels have stabilized!

Sybil said:

This is weird though ..... Just had a text from GP to say that my ALT levels have returned to normal. That just never happens. It's magic posting here!

It just seems that when you get to what appears to be a dead end, do not hang up, keep persevering politely regardless. And that applies to rheumatology (and other departments) on or off the phone.

I cannot believe the synchronicity! I can't remember when I last had normal ALT while on Mtx. One post, one silly post, then wham bang - some great news! Hope that works for others.

janeatiu said:

Don't you hate those left hand/right hand anybody/everybody/somebody/nobody situations?? Grrrr. If you didn't have high blood pressure before, this kind of phone interaction would put you over the edge!

Glad your ALT levels have stabilized!

Sybil said:

This is weird though ..... Just had a text from GP to say that my ALT levels have returned to normal. That just never happens. It's magic posting here!

OK--let's try this. I had such a tough time today at the bank. (Hoping now to have a $1M bank balance...)

Sybil said:

One post, one silly post, then wham bang - some great news! Hope that works for others.

Any luck yet?

Nope. But it took 15 minutes before someone picked up the phone for a script refill today. So maybe I'll get something good today!

Sybil said:

Any luck yet?