I have sacroiliitis and now severe stiffness in the lower back

Was diagnosed several years ago with PA and sacroiliitis and have been without insurance and out of treatment for 2 years. I cannot get my medical records so it looks like I am starting from scratch. I have been to my new GP and the blood work came back with no evidence of RF or elevated inflammation. It only showed very low vitiman D and high TSH. I was denied a refferal to a rheumy. I am trying to figure out the best next step. In the mean time though I am hoping for opinions on my dreaded low back pain and stiffness. It is not the SI joints. It has been worsening for over a year. Its sooo painful when I get up, lay down, sit down or even turn. It seems to settle after I have changed positions for a while but I have grown to dread every next move because then I have to endure the pain until it settles again. Any ideas on what that might be? Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Can you get a referral to a PT at a Hydro therapy pool or go to a swimming pool. Any PT will advise you on what exercises to do for a lower back problem. In the pool I use a foam noodle and just let my body hang down in the deep water end. I have a set of gentle exercises that I also do in the pool. If you can get to a heated pool in the cooler weather that might also help. A TENS unit might also help with the pain. I also find an ice pack can help but I do not ice for too long as you do not want to damage your skin or tissue and I alternate this with a heat pad. Massage might also help. I see an Osteopath who massages and stretches me. I use a strong menthol type rub as well. Perhaps you need some up to date x rays or scans done. Find another doctor if this one doesn't help you. I hope this helps.

I am currently having the same symptoms as you bloods were normal, xray has shown signs of inflammatory spondyloarthropathy…
I hope they get it sorted for you, I’m waiting on my rheumy apt 27th June to find out more. Will let u know what happens!

First of all why can't you get your medical records?

They can not be held for any reason in California including non payment of the providor.

Lack of insurances should not be a barrier to treatment. (at least drug treatment)

Lets break this down into smaller pieces and get it fixed.................

Thanks for helping Heather solve the problem TNLamb. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the help :) I was with Kaiser permenente all of my adult life. Im not sure if you know of them. In short they are an all inclusive health care facility. Everything I have ever had done and all diagnosis are detailed in their records. I have requested those records for 2 years now and they give me the run around. The lack of treatment over the past 2 years was simply that I could not get accepted for new insurance due to my prexisting conditions and paying cash was def not an affordable option. My husband was finally offered insurance through his work. Its aetna hmo. I am having difficulty getting him to believe that I have anything but hypo thyroid. Which by the way, I never did have that before. Thanks again for your advice :)

Send Kaiser a "15 day letter" you can have your current Doc or HMO send it if you prefer make sure to get diguital copies of scans etc. The law is very clear. You could actually put a bit of a squeeze on by letting your HMO know many of the test etc would need repeated. Aetna is usually pretty easy to work with.

Were you taking a biological previous???

Thank you for the suggetion. Perhaps I will call Aetna and ask them to advise. I am unsure what you mean by " biological". Sorry. I was taking Humira, methotrexate, mobic and flexoril when I was last with a ruematoligist.

Those are bilogicals (well the Humira is) Its very important to get those records. Kaiser wouldn't pass out those kind of meds unless you REALLY had something going on...............

Okay good. Now I just need to get the records. They keep telling me different things. I have pretty much lost hope. I also recieved several SI joint injections. I forgot to mention that the first time :) I am going to try and call them.....again. My GP says that kaiser will no longer release any records direct to them. They only release to the patient. So frusterating. Im in pretty bad shape now and my GP that I just met is treating me like a drug seeker.... I havent had meds for over 2 years and I am a seeker???? Ack!

Well there is another possibility for that back pain:

http://missoulian.com/news/weird-news/runner-s-pain-is-no-pulled-muscle-rather-a-baby/article_3a7b6320-5cce-527f-960f-6e2f06618239.html

Even if they just release the records to you, you can deliver them....

Hahaha, I wish! I would take another baby any day over a fusing spine! haha! I have tried MANY times to get kaiser to release them and so far nothing.

All right, no more Mr. Nice Guy. They will try to stick you for clerical costs, they are allowed but thery have failed to respond to previuos requests. if you have copies include them. MAKE SURE you copy the Medical Board. Heres all the forms you need to file a complaint if necessary. Note we are asking them to PAY YOU for your time.: Do not at any point threten them with legal action. I have already done that for you in the body of the letter. IF YOU ever threaten anyone with legal action, unless its the paper boy, that will be the end of communication, as thats how they are trained to respond.

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/consumer/complaint_info.html

Your letter:

Kaiser

Attenetio Y, R' AShol

Whwere ecer

CC:

Medical Board of California
Central Complaint Unit
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200
Sacramento, CA 95815

To whom it may concern:

I have request on numerous occasions my complete medical recorsd including digital copies of all imaginging studies. To this point that request has been ignored. I am sure that this has been an oversite on your part, but irregardless this delay, which has gone well beyond the 15 days allowed you by California State Law has delayed medical treatment for me as well as well as causing me undo pain, has also cost me out of pocket expense. Please send those recoreds along with a check for $65.00 to cover my additional time and effort to obtain them

Send to:

Po'd consumer

3825 U drive

Sunn Place Ca

Ahahaha! You are awsome!!! Im totally gonna send it ! Thank you!

So this afternoon I got a call from Kaiser saying that they have my records but they will be .50 a page. Over 300 pages.... I have to talk to the higher ups tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Heather,

I have dealt with kaiser for over 30 years and have navigated through their red tape.

If you are dealing with one location, speak to the chief of staff. He HAS the authority to waive that fee, though if they send directly to another doctor, the fee would automatically be waived.

If you are dealing with a location, ie just a business office, then ask to speak George Halverson, he is the CEO based in Oakland. I have has to send letters to him before to get things done.

In either case, you should get a good resolution within 5 minutes of talking to them. It does work. Be persistent and do not take no for an answer, they will eventually get it done.

So you know, when I left kaiser to go to Stanford years ago, Stanford did not want faxed or mailed records, they wanted me to bring them in. Kaiser wanted to charge. I complained and received the records free of charge. If you need more information form me, email me and I will provide my specific information to you so you can let them know this has been done before for patients.

Good luck!

Im so glad to hear from you! Thanks so much TheMatt! Just as soon as they open this morning I am ready for them. I will let you know how it goes. Have a wonderful day!

Hi Heather,

I'm not a doctor and certainly cannot offer a diagnosis. That said, your description of back pain sounds very similar to symptoms of facet joint inflammation. I get that periodically, and rheumy says it is common with PsA. I don't have an elevated sed rate when this happens to me. Physical therapy helps a great deal. For me, the application of heat feels good, but it won't fix the problem. I do best if I favor my back while it resolves. (No heavy lifting, don't bend if you don't have to.)

While there is no way to know if this is what is happening to you, it may be worth asking about. The only caution I would offer is that facet inflammation is often confused with a herniated disc, so don't assume the facet joints are your problem. A herniated disc is a much more serious problem--you don't want to confuse the two. Hope you feel better soon.