Back pain is unbearable!

I've been on Humira (only) since Sept 15th, 2013. It took 6 weeks to begin working but eventually I was amazed at how great I felt and how I finally had my life back after literally feeling it was over! I've maintained a good diet and regular exercise ever since, which I have sworn by as being helpful, but tonight I'm feeling defeated! My lower back pain has gotten so bad in recent weeks, it almost scares me. Tonight I missed my son's JV basketball game in a nearby town because I couldn't handle the drive or the sitting! He's a star player and his mom wasn't there to support him. He gets scared when I'm in this much pain so I can't imagine how he felt when he learned I wasn't there. What the hell is this pain all about? I know it's a "condition" of PsA but this is gnarly-bad... Anyone else struggling with this? Any advice? (He's probably more bummed about having to ride the school van home, then worried about me! .. lol)

My low back becomes weak and sore. It doesn’t really get painful. Just very weak. I have had scans on my back and nothing is wrong. The worst pain for me is my piriformis. I hate hurting all the time or having fatigue. It feels like I am not involved with family stuff. I am new to treatment newly diagnosed. I suffered for more than two years before referring myself to the rheumatologist. I hope your back pain improves. I’m sure it is hard for your family to see you in pain.

Some have had success using a brace on the back. I have never used one. some sort of back support. I usually take tylenol if I have to go somewhere. Driving is hard for me because of extending the leg to push the gas. I have seen salonpas patches mentioned. Personally, I have used lidocaine patches. they are expensive though.

Have you had x rays done on your back? Do you have damage there already? That’s one thing about this disease I hate,you think your making progress then WHAM it knocks you back down :frowning:
You could try salapas patches,I use my heat pad,warm baths or maybe Voltaran gel. I hope you feel better soon. Oh if it’s your SI joint,I find my belt helps too.

Hey Melody,
Like you I’m on Humira alone–well I was until prednisone was added a week ago because of joint pain and stiffness. I’ve had really tough struggles with my low back and hips. I’m in aqua therapy right now. They’ve determined that I’ve been trying to avoid using my low back and hips to keep from aggravating them and in the process I’ve changed the mechanics of how I operate (sitting, standing, getting up, walking, etc.). I take non-narcotic pain relievers and use a heating pad to keep the pain at bay and I go to aqua therapy, deep water exercise and yoga to keep things moving.

I know we are all different and this is just my experience, but while my back and hips get really bad at times (to the point of being barely able to stand) it does seem to be somewhat cyclical. It doesn’t usually stay bad for more than a few days. And if it does, I take a couple of prednisone pills for a few days.

I hope you find some relief. Try not to beat yourself up about missing the ball game. It isn’t your fault. I’m sure he was disappointed but I’ll bet he got along without you :wink: good luck!

Janeatiu raises a good point. When things are going well, we must, WE MUST, take advantage of it and really ramp up our PT efforts build strength and stability in those critical (and susceptible) areas. Otherwise..............

Keep in mind something else it may not be entirely your PsA. We are not immune to "stupidity" (no one is stupid) but we can all do things to hurt ourselves (just as 80% folks without PsA do several times in their lives) Low back mechanical problems are a bearm and take time to recover) Nothing like a shot of tordol and getting worked over by a good PT to get going the right direction. Muscle relaxants and pain pills often will make it last longer

Thank you, Janeatiu; and you're right.. I've actually been feeling so good, that I have forgotten that arthritis pain can be cyclical! Yes, I've had xrays and I have bad scoliosis and a childhood spinal injury but I thought I had mastered the exercises needed to keep my lower back strong.. I guess I need to mix it up! And thanks for the encouragement with my son.. it's just a mom-guilt thing. I usually don't let my pain control my whole world but yesterday was bad..Thanks again.

janeatiu said:

Hey Melody,
Like you I'm on Humira alone--well I was until prednisone was added a week ago because of joint pain and stiffness. I've had really tough struggles with my low back and hips. I'm in aqua therapy right now. They've determined that I've been trying to avoid using my low back and hips to keep from aggravating them and in the process I've changed the mechanics of how I operate (sitting, standing, getting up, walking, etc.). I take non-narcotic pain relievers and use a heating pad to keep the pain at bay and I go to aqua therapy, deep water exercise and yoga to keep things moving.

I know we are all different and this is just my experience, but while my back and hips get really bad at times (to the point of being barely able to stand) it does seem to be somewhat cyclical. It doesn't usually stay bad for more than a few days. And if it does, I take a couple of prednisone pills for a few days.

I hope you find some relief. Try not to beat yourself up about missing the ball game. It isn't your fault. I'm sure he was disappointed but I'll bet he got along without you ;) good luck!

Thanks, tnt; I'm scheduled for PT, so hopefully it will help! Also been trying real hard to avoid the Meloxicam, (although I know it works), because if I can recognize the pain, I can avoid further injury... and the stupid injuries, too! (really!)

tntlamb said:

Janeatiu raises a good point. When things are going well, we must, WE MUST, take advantage of it and really ramp up our PT efforts build strength and stability in those critical (and susceptible) areas. Otherwise..............

Keep in mind something else it may not be entirely your PsA. We are not immune to "stupidity" (no one is stupid) but we can all do things to hurt ourselves (just as 80% folks without PsA do several times in their lives) Low back mechanical problems are a bearm and take time to recover) Nothing like a shot of tordol and getting worked over by a good PT to get going the right direction. Muscle relaxants and pain pills often will make it last longer