Humira working slowly?

Hello everybody!

I stopped methrotexate on 8/13 after seeing my rheumathologist because it was not working much after a year (although it was pretty efective before that, except for the side effects and occasional flare up ) . I got my first shot of Humira on 8/13. The second on 8/20. I was supposed to get a third on 9/3 but I missed it because of the mess with the mail order companies (don't get me started with this one, I suffer from high blood pressure since then, caramba). I got my third one on 9/10 and I am due next week for another one. So far, the effects are 0. I feel like I have been for a month with untreated PSA. Not working at all and after a month, this is not a flare up but a permanent marriage with the King of Pain. All hail to the Queen, but I see that I am in a quite competitive board for this title! :)

I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel yesterday but what do you know, it was a train and it hit me today. The rainy weather is not helping.

Did any of you have a similar slow experience with Humira? I would like to hear about your experiences. If there is a thread discussing this issue ad nauseum, I kindly ask for forgiveness and the url to go there to read.

Have a wonderful day! Namaste!

Isabella

I don't suppose you want to hear this but if you THINK you are seeing some light, then congratulations, you may have a winner. One usually doesn't expect much from Humira for at least 12 weeks. That light being a train is a common experience. I think you will be out of the running for any titles very soon. In the mean time I'd ask, beg or demand of your doc a quick run of predi to knock things down and prepare you for the good days ahead.

I was fortunate enough to start with Humira after a month on medrol. I did well on the Humira but still having pain, added mtx and that was my magic combination. First try and I have a new "normal", THANK THE GOOD LORD, I was very lucky. It did take about 2 months on Humira bi-weekly, then another 2 months after weekly, finally adding mtx. It wasn't until March when I started feeling more of myself, 5 months after diagnosis (October 2012). Can I ask why you discontinued the MTX instead of adding it to your regimen? Prednisone did not work for me at all. Though, when a flare attacks, the medrol is very helpful. In this past year, I have learned more and more about this disease because of this site.

Thanks for the input. Next time I see my rheumathologist I will remind her of her "two or three weeks before seeing effects" sheeeesshh! . My doctor discontinued the MTX because it was not working much. I am not comfortable with steroids, not only because of the weight but because there is diabetes I in my family and I try to steer my body away from that road, if I can. I tried a few injections of predi in the past though, sometimes you have to do what you have to do :( I have to see my doc on October 14th, I'll hang in there and re-assess the situation with her. I am exploring natural remedies to alleviate a little the discomfort (not as an alternative of treatment). I will check the groups of complimentary therapies and natural healing. Lighting candles in every little altar I find, I guess :D

Thanks again for your time and consideration