Humira vs Embrel

OK my new wise friends..... :)

My new Rheum wants to start me on Humira.....told me about the increased risk for infection and cancer....seemed to me he was downplaying the latter.

My Psoriasis is out of control.....and the PsA is low grade to miserable...can't seem to find a pattern if there is one. He said that Humira is the best for both.....

Opinions??

Humira is actually best for P and PsA. The cancer risk is rally only a risk in a specific population people, so the doc probably was downplaying that if it doesn’t apply to you. Humira goes best with MTX as it helps prevent antibody formation, which can make the drug stop working for you. Something you might want to talk to the doc about before you make a decision.

So....have heart MTX is ugly business...SE's etc....does it have to be taken together eventually? Is there an alternative to either?

My understanding is that about 28% of people form antibodies. I also understand that with both Humira and Enbrel, if they are not fully controlling the inflammation mtx or arava or small doses of prednisone are used to 'mop up' the remainder of the inflammation. In my case when I put on weight Enbrel's efficacy was reduced. Lost weigh, improved my fitness and no longer need the additional drug.

Nothing is straight forward is it?

I can tell you my experience which was this: I started to fail Humira after about 2.5 years and my rheum wanted to add MTX. I refused for the same reasons you mentioned: no-good, very bad side effects. I wish I had just taken it. I really liked Humira. It was easy to take, and it worked really well when it worked. Plus I’m taking MTX with Remicade now anyway! I do take it by injection instead of pills. My dose is 25mg, and I started out with injections instead of even trying pills. That’s when people get the most side effects, from the pills. The injections bypass the GI tract a that’s where most of the SEs are triggered. I hope I make some sense, it’s late!

Whichever you try, I hope it’s the perfect drug for you and that it works quickly. Take care of yourself, and if you need anything just ask.

sunshine said:

So…have heart MTX is ugly business…SE’s etc…does it have to be taken together eventually? Is there an alternative to either?

Hahaha....never! :)

Allan said:

My understanding is that about 28% of people form antibodies. I also understand that with both Humira and Enbrel, if they are not fully controlling the inflammation mtx or arava or small doses of prednisone are used to 'mop up' the remainder of the inflammation. In my case when I put on weight Enbrel's efficacy was reduced. Lost weigh, improved my fitness and no longer need the additional drug.

Nothing is straight forward is it?

wow....need to spell ck before I hit send! Meant to say have "heard" ....meaning have heard of severe N/V with MTX

sunshine said:

So....have heart MTX is ugly business...SE's etc....does it have to be taken together eventually? Is there an alternative to either?

GrumpyCat you ROCK! Seriously....I so appreciate the experiences you and the others share...it is invaluable! I was unaware I could take MTX by injection....that is encouraging. Giving injections doesn't bother me.....am a Cert Med Asst and did the back office nursing duties for 20+ years...had always hoped to go back to school for my nursing degree but just wasn't in the cards as they say...

Anyway, thanks again for all your support!! Hope you have a great day!

GrumpyCat said:

I can tell you my experience which was this: I started to fail Humira after about 2.5 years and my rheum wanted to add MTX. I refused for the same reasons you mentioned: no-good, very bad side effects. I wish I had just taken it. I really liked Humira. It was easy to take, and it worked really well when it worked. Plus I'm taking MTX with Remicade now anyway! I do take it by injection instead of pills. My dose is 25mg, and I started out with injections instead of even trying pills. That's when people get the most side effects, from the pills. The injections bypass the GI tract a that's where most of the SEs are triggered. I hope I make some sense, it's late!

Whichever you try, I hope it's the perfect drug for you and that it works quickly. Take care of yourself, and if you need anything just ask.

sunshine said:

Hi Sunshine,

I found Enbrel great, but Humira seems a bit better for me (so lucky both of them were great!)

I only switched because I was having some significant stomach symptoms (probably autoimmune), and the Humira has done a great job on controlling those too. In Aus we are supposed to take MTX with both - not particularly nice, but there seems to be some evidence it can be used at only 10mg per week to prevent antibodies (the required dose in Aus), and even orally, this doesn’t cause much in the way of SEs for me if I take it in the evening before bed and after dinner :slight_smile:

I remember almost begging for Enbrel (different system here) - I’m so pleased you have a choice!