Hi, I'm Pineconemj

Hello,
I’m new.
This is my first reply.
Newly diagnosed.

My Dr. started me on Methotrexate injections, once weekly.
4-5 hours after the injection, I was barely functional.
That would last for 24 hrs. I had extreme fatigue, felt like I was going to pass out and zero appetite.
My Dr. told me to stop, after 3 weeks.
Now I’m trying Arava 20mg pill, once daily.
It’s been 6 weeks.
At first, I thought it was better.
Now, I think only because I wasn’t feeling as sick as with Methotrexate.
I have been down for the past 5 days, with the Flu? 2 days of 101 Temp. Now feeling better, but have extreme weakness, fatigue, no appetite and unsteady on my feet.
I haven’t had the flu for years (I do get a flu shot every year).
I’m not sure if this is from weakened immune system, or side effects from Avara.

I continue to loose weight, and I didn’t have extra to loose.
Any comments or tips are welcome.
I think a lot of people don’t understand, it’s not something you can just work or excise your way out of.

Thank you

Hey Pineconemj and welcome here! We’re glad that you found us, but it’s really too bad that you’re a fully qualified member of this club with the rest of us.

You’re right: a lot of people don’t understand, and probably never will. But we do here.

One of the most frustrating things about the treatment of this disease is the length of time it takes before you know whether a treatment is working. (Of course, as you know, the side effects kick in immediately!) Have you read through the articles in our Newbies’ Guide? I’m sure you will relate to lots of things in there!

We’re glad that you found us, Carrie Lynn, and we hope that you will be too.

Seenie

Hi Pineconemj, and welcome! You’re right, most people don’t understand and, unfortunately, it’s not possible to exercise to cure what we have—nor do natural remedies fix it…but, there are so many great meds, especially the biologics, that can give you back your life. Like Seenie said, it takes time to get the right meds; and, you can learn more by checking out the Newbie’s Guide.
I can tell you I and everybody else here has felt hopeless in the beginning, and a lot of us are doing really well on a med or two or more—you’ll find the right one(s) too. I’m doing well on Enbrel. :blush:
Good luck!

Welcome!

Thank you.

I still have 6 wks of Avara, before I can go to next step.

It is frustrating, to say the least.

Mary

It certainly is. So many of us have been there over and over again. But we got through it, and so will you.

Chin up, buttercup!

Hi Pineconemj, welcome!
You say:

Please tell me you meant ‘once weekly’. Unless there’s some new protocol I’ve never heard of anyone taking Arava on a daily basis.
I reckon 'flu is 'flu and there are plenty of folk with (I assume) tip top immune systems who do not have psoriatic arthritis who are suffering with it this year. Plus I hear that the vaccine may be of limited efficacy in seeing off some strains. It’s a depressing thing isn’t it?
Have you contacted your primary care doc or rheumy to check that’s it’s okay to continue taking Arava while you have 'flu? Or indeed to make sure that it is definitely 'flu?
In any case, keep warm, hang on in there. If it’s 'flu it will pass and then you may be in a better position to judge how well Arava is doing.

Leflunomide/Arava is daily. It’s got a really long half life too, so I’ve never had to stop taking it when having surgery, sick, etc. The only real issue that comes up is if someone gets pregnant while taking leflunomide. Did I mention the long half life? There’s a protocol that washes it out of the system fast in situations like pregnancy, but I’m not too sure how hard it is on the system.

Is it? Lol! I used to take it, my bad! Thought I took it weekly like all the other traditional DMARDs but maybe not. Thanks for putting me straight Stoney & apologies Pineconemj!

2 Likes

Sorry folks. I keep calling it Avara… It’s Leflunomide.

Who comes up with the drug names?

It’s Arava, it’s Leflunomide - both are correct.