Hello I'm Angie

Hello all. Thank you for admitting me to the group. I’m 46 years old female. I’ll be 47 in October. I’m married to a wonderful man who is truly my best friend. I live in South Georgia, USA. Around 2004, a general practioner, family doctor, diagnosed me with PsA after I’d had a couple of falls And my knees swelled up like I had apples under my skin. I also had messed up toenails and fingernails at that time. And my arms and the last 3 fingers on my left hand would go numb. That doctor didn’t send me to a rheumatologist. He prescribed nuerontin(misp?). I had a hysterectomy in February of this year and I’m still seeing my gyno to try to get hrt right for me. She’s referred me to the rheumatologist. Finally someone is listening to me.
As of late, I’ve been having quite a bit of pain. The first big thing that happened was in July of 2015. I was at work and sweeping the floor as I usually did. My left shoulder popped. The orthopedic doctor said I tore my main ligament on the top of my shoulder and the tendons inside of it. I’ve had 2 surgeries on it since then. The last was in April of last year. And honestly it’s been great until recently. Since I’ve been on hrt, it seems I hurt in more places and the pain is worse. I’m the past years, my teeth have started breaking off and just decaying like crazy. They’re not getting better with the hrt either.
This August will be the first visit with a rheumatologist. I’m looking now for any and all information I can find to be prepared for that visit. Sorry for going on and on. Thank you for reading. God bless.

2 Likes

Hello Angie - welcome to our community!

Hey! Thanks for approving me.

Hi Angie, welcome to the group.
It’s interesting what you say about changes to your pain in HRT. My first symptoms were when I wasn’t menstruating (also 46 and starting the menopause), then went away for a while when I started again. My periods are now a lot more irregular (about every 3-4 months) and my pain is increasing. Hormones definitely affect PsA and other forms of arthritis.
Hope the forum is helpful to you, it’s been great for me!
Andrea

Hey Andrea.
Thank you for responding.
I’m so glad someone else said that and feels the same! Thank you! I don’t feel quite so crazy now lol

Hi Angie, though I haven’t had the menopause yet, it was pretty clear that my immune system changed in response to pregnancy - hormones again. Whilst there doesn’t seem to be lots of well-researched evidence for this (and obviously there are plenty of men here it’s unlikely to be a major issue for), there is certainly a bit of anecdotal evidence.

I don’t have any experience with hrt, but for your Rheumy appointment, things most people find useful is to document how much PSA impacts your life (most Rheumy’s Don’t respond well to reports of pain as it can be so subjective), and if you notice any variation (eg if it changes if you forget your hrt meds, or it it’s cyclical in response to anything).

And most importantly, write it down. Few of us are at our scientific best with brain fog and when faced by the one intimidating human who might be able to help us out of this mess - so write it all down, symptoms, impact, questions, including what s/he sees as the process going forward.

1 Like

Hey jen75. Oh yes no doubt hormones play a part in this PsA game of torture.
I had thought about writing every thing down at least a little at a time. My hand cramps up badly if I do a lot with them. would that be one of the impacts you mentioned?
Thank you for responding.

That can definitely be one of the impacts, and a little at a time sounds like a great plan!

Awesome sauce!

Thank y’all so very much for responding.
God bless y’all!